PDA

View Full Version : Good production Carbon Fiber Road Sprinter's Frame?

Lewis Moon
06-28-2016, 09:43 AM
I am a bike slut. I have a real tendency to throw my leg over any little tarted up road bike that fits my fancy. Recently, I've fancied getting a full-on CF road sprinter's frame (think: Ridley Noah) to sate my lust for quicky KOMs.

What production road frames fit that bill? The Noah is one, maybe a Madone or a Propel...any others? I'm a cheap date so I'm looking for a cougar that's been around the block a few times.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-28-2016, 09:59 AM
The previous generation Scott Foil (2012-2015). Stiff as all hell.

Tickdoc
06-28-2016, 10:02 AM
I am a bike slut. I have a real tendency to throw my leg over any little tarted up road bike that fits my fancy. Recently, I've fancied getting a full-on CF road sprinter's frame (think: Ridley Noah) to sate my lust for quicky KOMs.

What production road frames fit that bill? The Noah is one, maybe a Madone or a Propel...any others? I'm a cheap date so I'm looking for a cougar that's been around the block a few times.

Diamondback perhaps?

Lewis Moon
06-28-2016, 10:08 AM
The previous generation Scott Foil (2012-2015). Stiff as all hell.

I like it rough....

bthornt
06-28-2016, 10:18 AM
look for a used ridley damocles

eippo1
06-28-2016, 10:25 AM
The Jamis Xenith is pretty darn stiff and a 2nd hand model usually comes at a decent price. A friend of mine got one off of here and appreciates the stiff ride.

Also, some of the older 6 SSL (2011, 2012, 2013) series Madones were incredibly stiff if that's what you want.

Lewis Moon
06-28-2016, 10:25 AM
look for a used ridley damocles

I'm a fan of Ridleys.

bthornt
06-28-2016, 10:28 AM
I'm a fan of Ridleys.

If you can ride a small (which may be more like a medium in its dimensions), R&A cycles has 1 small Ridley Damocles left to sell. I think I have seen a XXS on backcountry as well.

It was stiff enough for Robbie McEwen.

slidey
06-28-2016, 10:30 AM
Reasonably priced:
Ridley Noah
Ridley Excalibur

Reasoanbly priced, as a function of luck:
Merckx AXM

Lewis Moon
06-28-2016, 10:31 AM
If you can ride a small (which may be more like a medium in its dimensions), R&A cycles has 1 small Ridley Damocles left to sell. I think I have seen a XXS on backcountry as well.

It was stiff enough for Robbie McEwen.

I am decidedly well endowed. I need an XL or an XXL.

Bob Ross
06-28-2016, 10:32 AM
think: Ridley Noah

Yeah, that was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title! The Noah MMXII FB (or whatever that circa 2012 "Fast" model was called) is one of the few off-the-shelf road bikes that I lust after.

The other is a circa 2010 BMC SLC01 Pro Machine, that might fit your description too.

carpediemracing
06-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Wasn't the Fuji SST a super stiff frame? Toyota United's sprinter... I can't remember who it was. At any rate it's sort of an aero road frame, from what I can recall. We're talking maybe 10 years ago.

JonB
06-28-2016, 11:48 AM
The Specialized S-Works SL3 was EXTREMELY stiff.

06-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Everyone is answering with stiff frames, but here's a different point of view.

What keeps you in a road sprint is good handling. You should be on someone's wheel and need superb handling. Then you have the confidence to jump from wheel to wheel, to squeeze through holes, and take turns faster. That buys you placings going into the sprint, and that's how you win the sprint.

Furthermore, a bike that beats you up is particularly hard on sprinters who are just trying to be sure they're the freshest rider in the final sprint. That's also how you win sprints. So I'd consider a bike with superb handling and reasonably comfortable to ride. Then you'll be in #2 or #3 position coming out of the last turn or coming over the last hill, you'll be fresher than anyone else, and you'll have what you need to win.

Hilltopperny
06-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Wasn't the Fuji SST a super stiff frame? Toyota United's sprinter... I can't remember who it was. At any rate it's sort of an aero road frame, from what I can recall. We're talking maybe 10 years ago.

Yes the sst is super stiff. The owner of the lbs had one and said it's the stiffest bike he has ever ridden to date. He also had a Scott foil and said the fuji was stiffer!

weisan
06-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Thank you 22.8/2 pal.

Read and learn.

Lewis Moon
06-28-2016, 12:30 PM

What keeps you in a road sprint is good handling. You should be on someone's wheel and need superb handling. Then you have the confidence to jump from wheel to wheel, to squeeze through holes, and take turns faster. That buys you placings going into the sprint, and that's how you win the sprint.

Furthermore, a bike that beats you up is particularly hard on sprinters who are just trying to be sure they're the freshest rider in the final sprint. That's also how you win sprints. So I'd consider a bike with superb handling and reasonably comfortable to ride. Then you'll be in #2 or #3 position coming out of the last turn or coming over the last hill, you'll be fresher than anyone else, and you'll have what you need to win.

As Blacky Ranchette would say; sage advice. However, a good handling bike depends on a synergy with the rider, and that's hard to predict w/o actually riding it.
This is going to be my "B" bike. It'll be the AC Cobra to my Serotta Atlanta BMW M5. The Atlanta is an extremely good all round bike, I just want a no holds barred bike for "those days".

batman1425
06-28-2016, 01:02 PM
I'm a fan of Ridleys.

I have a Damocles and a Helium. Both ride really well and have geometry that suits me to a T. I raced the Damo as my primary race (mostly crit) bike for several years and was never let down by it. It's still my workhorse race bike. I'm actually thinking of sending it out for a repaint to freshen it up after 5 years of loyal service.

steelbikerider
06-28-2016, 01:07 PM
This might work for you.
http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bikes/road/race/frameset-f1.aspx

BSUdude
06-28-2016, 01:15 PM

I agree with the sentiment in general, however as long as a frame fits you & you are fitted correctly on it, the bike isn't going to keep you from getting to where you need to be. The confidence/wheelsurfing ability is a rider attribute gained by experience. Also being the freshest rider coming into the sprint is way more about what you did during the race up to that point than your bike's ride (outliers excluded).

jghall
06-28-2016, 01:21 PM
If you can get your hands on one, Canyon fits the bill too.

bobswire
06-28-2016, 05:07 PM
Aw, just get something like this to play around on. Light, stiff, handles well but is not CF. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Eddy-Merckx-Race-Road-Bike-Frame-Set-58cm-LARGE-Easton-7000-Aluminum-/381680657192?hash=item58ddf0a328:g:Vo0AAOSwbYZXYeJ z

Or this Team SC (you did say you were tall).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Merckx-Team-SC-in-beautiful-condition-size-63cm-X-60cm-X-23cm-Campagnolo-Record-/112041279180?hash=item1a162e3ecc:g:hYIAAOSwzJ5Xcl8 F