PDA

View Full Version : OT Chevy SS

I Want Sachs?
06-16-2016, 01:35 PM
One car that has intrigued me is Chevy SS, a big engined classic American sedan with no apology to fuel economy. What is interesting is the handling seems to be quite good with all the reviews.

Anyone with experience or thoughts about this car with manual transmission?

Tickdoc
06-16-2016, 01:36 PM
One car that has intrigued me is Chevy SS, a big engined classic American sedan with no apology to fuel economy. What is interesting is the handling seems to be quite good with all the reviews.

Anyone with experience or thoughts about this car with manual transmission?

Isn't this the one you can't find/no dealer has in stock?

tv_vt
06-16-2016, 01:57 PM
Is this the SS396 you're talking about, or something else?

Nevermind. You must be talking about a current model.

Plum Hill
06-16-2016, 02:08 PM
A review I read said the manual is the only way to go.

54ny77
06-16-2016, 02:39 PM
awesome looking and performing car in a u.s. sedan.

wondered if it was a rebadged holden?

Nooch
06-16-2016, 02:41 PM
awesome looking and performing car in a u.s. sedan.

wondered if it was a rebadged holden?

indeed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore_(VF)

54ny77
06-16-2016, 02:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLweooe3aM

great review.

texbike
06-16-2016, 02:57 PM
Wow! I wasn't aware of this car! I LOVE it!!! What a sleeper. It looks like a rental car. :eek:

Texbike

William
06-16-2016, 03:00 PM
The Smoking Tire Chevrolet SS Manual - One Take...

We reviewed the 2014 Chevrolet SS when it was new, itself a virtual copy of the Holden Commodore down in Australia. But it was automatic transmission only. Now, for 2015, the Chevy SS comes with a manual gearbox and magnetic ride suspension. The want is strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haj9_VgQUWA

William

Ralph
06-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Ah....a 4 door Corvette.

josephr
06-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Ah....a 4 door Corvette.

how about a 4 door El Camino with a 454?

paredown
06-16-2016, 05:31 PM
indeed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore_(VF)

Wow--there is another cool Holden wagon on that page that GM is not importing.:mad:

gemship
06-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Ah....a 4 door Corvette.

Yep, a lot like that more recent... I think like ten years ago Pontiac GTO with the corvette engine. I believe it's two door? I do know it made like 400hp.

Schmed
06-16-2016, 06:17 PM
I tried to find one to look at and all dealer stock on their website was "on the way" and very few manuals. Hardly anyone knows about this car at dealerships.

Too bad. Looked to be a good option for me, but I went with an Audi instead.

Ralph
06-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Yep, a lot like that more recent... I think like ten years ago Pontiac GTO with the corvette engine. I believe it's two door? I do know it made like 400hp.

The Chevy SS has the lastest Corvette small block V8 engine....perhaps detuned just a tad, and no supercharger. In stock form it's way more powerful than a street 454 ever was (or the GTO you mention). The current small block push rod Corvette engines are very powerful and rev like crazy. Hard to believe they are still push rod V8's. Nothing like the old Corvette engines.

FL_MarkD
06-16-2016, 07:57 PM
When I was at Daytona for the 24 hours race in January the 'Chevrolet' entrance to the new 'stadium' seating there had a bunch of cars including a SS. It was very nice, a true sleeper. From what the salesman said they are all made in Australia and imported. He said they are hard to find and some rumors that they will be discontinued.

William
06-16-2016, 08:26 PM
He said they are hard to find and some rumors that they will be discontinued.

Matt in the Smoking Tire vid claims they are out in 2017.

William

JonB
06-16-2016, 08:33 PM
I have one. Its a fantastic highway car. Plenty big for the family on a weekend trip. Yes, its definitely a sleeper, but those in 'the know' will slow down next to me on the highway, stare at stoplights and want to talk in parking lots.

I test-drove the manual, but ultimately went with the automatic for two reasons: before the SS I had a Mazdaspeed6 and was tired of rowing my own; and I really like the remote start, especially being in Florida. I start her up and let the AC run for a minute or two to cool it off a bit. Plus there's not much twisty fun in FL to truly enjoy the manual.

Another plus: it looks like a cop car. Not that I'm much for speeding, but its noticable how many people will slow down and get out of my way in the left lane while on the interstate.

The engine is the 6.2L LS3. 415 HP & 415 lb-ft of torque for PLENTY of oomph.

JonB
06-16-2016, 08:39 PM
BTW, Mine has 13,313 miles and has averaged 20MPG per onstar.

Oh yeah, that's something else I'm really impressed with. The Onstar system is helpful and very useful.

Ken Robb
06-16-2016, 08:46 PM
He said they are hard to find and some rumors that they will be discontinued.

I think GM is discontinuing making cars in Australia soon. Too bad, because Holden has had some tasty offerings like the SS, GTO, etc.

54ny77
06-16-2016, 10:20 PM
That's awesome. Enjoy it!

If I had a need for a sedan, I'd most likely own an SS. I like it for all the reasons you stated.

How's the gearing on the auto on the overdrive? Does it avoid the gas guzzler tax? The Vette always has, since the overdrive was typically a 2.73 (or at least it was on C5, not sure on C7 but it's probably close). That means 25-30 mpg at speed limits on highway, an easy thing to do when you've got the motor lumbering along at 1.5-1.6k rpm at 65. Glorious!

I have one. Its a fantastic highway car. Plenty big for the family on a weekend trip. Yes, its definitely a sleeper, but those in 'the know' will slow down next to me on the highway, stare at stoplights and want to talk in parking lots.

I test-drove the manual, but ultimately went with the automatic for two reasons: before the SS I had a Mazdaspeed6 and was tired of rowing my own; and I really like the remote start, especially being in Florida. I start her up and let the AC run for a minute or two to cool it off a bit. Plus there's not much twisty fun in FL to truly enjoy the manual.

Another plus: it looks like a cop car. Not that I'm much for speeding, but its noticable how many people will slow down and get out of my way in the left lane while on the interstate.

Fatty
06-16-2016, 10:29 PM
Drove a rental Camaro SS for a week in Florida. The 2014 or so version, 400 plus horsepower, Ft lb torque. You know the saying, nothing corners like a rental. Strong motor. If I was buying one it would be the auto. Such a blast off the line, floor it and it just hooked up and, boom, you were in the next county.

54ny77
06-16-2016, 10:42 PM
this is the most awesome era for american go-fast cars, ever.

just look at that hellcat sedan--fastest 4 door production sedan ever, with SEVEN HUNDRED SEVEN ponies and 650 ft/lbs of tire-shredding oomph, fer cryin' out loud!!! :eek:

and the caddy cts-v, wow what a car.

sevencyclist
06-16-2016, 11:59 PM
What a great car! Other than the power and the great handling report, the sleeper element certainly is quite attractive (what an oxymoron!)

This 2016 model seems to have all the toys of modern cars in them, but can perform like a classic ride for years to come. I would be all over that wagon if they import it. Too bad the rumor is that it will cease to exist in 2017 as someone said above, so this might be your last chance to grab it before goes extinct.

To OP: Get the manual transmission for sure!

54ny77
06-17-2016, 12:49 AM
If GM imported and rebadged this Holden Calais V wagon with the 6.2, that would be one helluva vehicle.

https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2015/05/27/5601c6ff-85cc-4cda-bb40-d8497f42d4df/resize/1170xauto/035978a0a13f4a6f9446177efc281847/2015holdencalais-005.jpg

I would be all over that wagon if they import it.

rustychisel
06-17-2016, 01:02 AM
Bogans talking 'bout bogan cars. What next?

jamesau
06-17-2016, 06:31 AM
I'd be seriously interested in a reissued SS built on GM's latest Alpha platform; that platform serves the latest Camaro and Cadillac ATS.
Alpha + small-block V8 + stick + room for 4/5 adults = great car formula

alancw3
06-17-2016, 08:55 AM
that is the same car that the pontiac brand burned up the gto label on to no evail. and wait as impressed as i was with the video when i went to the chevrolet website and saw that the price was $46k + well imho i can see why chevrolet is discontinuing the car. i do not see a market for that car at that price with the bling that it offers. just saying.

i am waiting for the c8 mid engine corvette that is suppose to come out in 2017. i just hope it has room in the cockpit for a 6'4" person. i actually wrote to the chief engineer at chevrolet about my concerns to accommodate the people that could afford the car. never heard back from him.

Ralph
06-17-2016, 10:32 AM
GM already makes what some of you say you want. Most people so wrapped up in whatever those over priced high maintainence Euro car brands offer....they don't pay attention to what had been developed right here under our noses.....with a good warranty and service record to boot. American manufacturing (or N American).

Look over the latest Cadillac CTS-V....sized for real people. A lot of latest Corvette in it. latest 2016 model.....640 HP, 630 ft lbs tq....200 MPH top speed (somewhere). About half the price of the Euro competition. Car mags rate this vehicle the equal of about anything in it's class. Not so much more price wise than a loaded SS.http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/cts-v/

54ny77
06-17-2016, 10:44 AM
The same magnetic shock technology from the C5 is in Ferrari. It's licensed or sold to them outright, if I recall. In simple terms, it's basically goop in shocks that has tiny magnets in it, adjustable for viscosity in fractions of seconds to adjust ride & performance characteristics. Cool stuff.

pjm
06-17-2016, 11:02 AM
GM already makes what some of you say you want. Most people so wrapped up in whatever those over priced high maintainence Euro car brands offer....they don't pay attention to what had been developed right here under our noses.....with a good warranty and service record to boot. American manufacturing (or N American).

Look over the latest Cadillac CTS-V....sized for real people. A lot of latest Corvette in it. latest 2016 model.....640 HP, 630 ft lbs tq....200 MPH top speed (somewhere). About half the price of the Euro competition. Car mags rate this vehicle the equal of about anything in it's class. Not so much more price wise than a loaded SS.http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/cts-v/
I own a German car, a Japanese car and an American car. Sad to say, but the American one has been, by far, the most problematic.

Ralph
06-17-2016, 11:45 AM
I own a German car, a Japanese car and an American car. Sad to say, but the American one has been, by far, the most problematic.

What does this have to do with the subject? Any 640 HP car, German, Japanese, S Korean, UK, Swedish, or American.....is a high maintenance expensive insurance car to own. My point is all who judge latest American super high performance sedan based on something you bought in the past.....need to take another look. Things have changed.

Considering the SS Chevy.....imagine it's reliability about like any other 400+ HP vehicle. All car companies get their electronics and suspension parts from just a few world companies. The Chevy transmission comes from the joint Ford/GM transmission plant. Engine from GM....a detuned Corvette engine.

pjm
06-17-2016, 01:24 PM
What does this have to do with the subject? Any 640 HP car, German, Japanese, S Korean, UK, Swedish, or American.....is a high maintenance expensive insurance car to own. My point is all who judge latest American super high performance sedan based on something you bought in the past.....need to take another look. Things have changed.

Considering the SS Chevy.....imagine it's reliability about like any other 400+ HP vehicle. All car companies get their electronics and suspension parts from just a few world companies. The Chevy transmission comes from the joint Ford/GM transmission plant. Engine from GM....a detuned Corvette engine.

The performance for the price from the cars you mention, Ralph, is definitely impressive, but from my experience and evidence like following I tend to be a little gun shy about any future purchases.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-manual-long-term-test-wrap-up

I Want Sachs?
06-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks to all for a lot of information. This is great!

What color is yours that made others think it is a police car? Black, white, silver?

54ny77
06-17-2016, 02:16 PM
C&D got a serious lemon.

Know several folks who've enjoyed no problems w/their C7.

These days, every manufacturer is subject to cranking out plenty of lemons. Nobody I know with fancy cars has gushed about their vehicles' reliability.

The performance for the price from the cars you mention, Ralph, is definitely impressive, but from my experience and evidence like following I tend to be a little gun shy about any future purchases.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-manual-long-term-test-wrap-up

fuzzalow
06-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Like cars. Despise car culture.

All that straight line oommppff! Uniquely American. Gotta love the traditions and history in these kinda cars. Would sure as heck like to take one of those for a summer nights cruise.

54ny77
06-17-2016, 03:09 PM
vroom vroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xbtZUS3Vww

amazing stat: 60-0 mph in 104 ft.

or 0-60 in 3.7.

mmmmmm......doughhhhhhhhnuts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOQe1hWvX_c

hilarious at 22 minutes in.

and the off roading dukes of hazzard fun....bonkers!
:D

jds108
06-17-2016, 03:24 PM
G

Look over the latest Cadillac CTS-V.... About half the price of the Euro competition.

Ralph,

I agree with your general sentiment, but the CTS-V is pricey: minimum base price: $85,990. And... it can be optioned to over $103,000.

BMW M5 starts at $94,100.

I don't know how much of a discount would be available on either, but this latest CTS-V is no longer a "deal" in the luxury sport sedan segment.

pjm
06-17-2016, 03:46 PM
And then there's the slimy dealers. Take a car like the new Shelby GT 350, try getting one of those for anywhere near list price. Good luck.

Ralph
06-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Ralph,

I agree with your general sentiment, but the CTS-V is pricey: minimum base price: $85,990. And... it can be optioned to over $103,000.

BMW M5 starts at $94,100.

I don't know how much of a discount would be available on either, but this latest CTS-V is no longer a "deal" in the luxury sport sedan segment.

You are correct...I'm a little off on price. I imagine the Caddy can be bought for about 80% of the typical optioned M5. Then 5 years latter....the M5 probably lost less of it's value.

My point only was that finally an American assembled car can compete with the best in it's class on performance.

And the Chevy SS is also an awesome car for it's type. it would be so fun to drive to Saturday night cruises and park with the Chevy guys. Foreign cars not so welcome in that crowd.

Fatty
06-17-2016, 04:19 PM
You could always go this route. Then you get cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks.

http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/5580950335.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00c0c_1tt4uKzLqwy_600x450.jpg

palincss
06-17-2016, 05:48 PM
Road and Track had an article (http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/features/a25248/the-comparison-2003-bmw-m5-versus-2015-chevrolet-ss/) comparing the (manual) Chevrolet SS with a 2003 BMW M5.

One plunge into the throttle, though, and the caroming suspension is forgiven: This 6.2-liter lump delivers on every sinful crate-engine-catalog fantasy you've ever had. The noise is somewhere between Days of Thunder and the end of days. Max engine speed is a thrashy 6600 rpm, but there's no use swinging the tach needle north of 5900. Torque is everywhere, always. The entire experience is a singular, blunt, pushrod onslaught broken only by hanging moments of clutch engagement.

"Everybody likes a bit of trashy," Cammisa admits.

And, God, are those moments sweet. The heavy pedal and solid, resonating driveline thunk of this six-speed fit the Chevy's personality perfectly. It makes you want to play around with the car, actually get down and drive instead of just vigorously aiming the thing. If you're intent on hooning, the SS will hammer around and make raucous sounds and powerslide out of hairpins. It'll do that every day, half-trying, for the rest of eternity, until cockroaches die off and Twinkies expire. You can do all the Camaro stuff, and Camaro stuff is neat. But when you're ready to ante up to do M5 work, the SS really hits its stride.

Bend after bend, nearing highway speed, we're approching the limit. The Chevy's much bigger than the BMW and just as controlled—when it comes to braking and steering accuracy, it's better. But you've got to be deliberate and trust the car. We pour into a succession of third-gear esses that'd send some well-honed coupes tank-slapping toward a ditch. Instead, the SS politely steps out, asks for a bit of steering and throttle, then gets in line and back to wasting asphalt. It's as capable and composed as hairy-chested four-doors get, two tons of blue-collar killer. Even Cammisa, who has serious reservations about the ride quality, has to offer props: "Brutally fast and fantastically American. Or Australian. Whatever. But, man, is this thing brilliant on a back road."

ojingoh
06-17-2016, 07:41 PM
Does it have SCMODS? Can I trade you for a microphone?
You could always go this route. Then you get cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks.

http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/5580950335.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00c0c_1tt4uKzLqwy_600x450.jpg