PDA

View Full Version : ENVE compression plug oops

ajhapps
05-03-2016, 02:19 AM
Ok, here's the deal, I think I blew it with this compression plug while changing out a stem. I removed the compression plug and the top cap bolt is stuck inside of the inner expander bolt (the one that screws into the 2 beveled caps (top, bottom) to hold the plug in place. I probably over torqued it at some point. Can't, for the life of me, get the damn thing out.

Anyone do this before? Any suggestions? Am I just an idiot? Do I need to just buy a new one? :crap::crap::crap:

bloody sunday
05-03-2016, 08:37 AM
take a picture of what you're talking about

maximus
05-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Hold the top "lip" of the expander with some pliers and turn the top cap bolt.

Odd you were able to remove it like that in the first place, as it doesn't sound like you were able to loosen the expander plug before you removed it from the steerer tube.

That or I just don't follow :)

chiasticon
05-03-2016, 09:57 AM
thanks for reminding me that I need to grease mine before installing it.

I'd try what maximus is suggesting. if the two are locked together, at least you'll get the plug out then. then get the screws out of the plug and throw one into a vice.

ajhapps
05-03-2016, 11:22 PM
So, looks like I'll have to find a vice somewhere... tried pliers and can't get a good enough grip anywhere.

No idea how I did this to myself, but feel so damn stupid!

45K10
05-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Just double nut the expansion bolt and hold it with the appropriate size wrench and then turn the top cap bolt out. You shouldn't need a vise unless the threads are screwed up.

chiasticon
05-04-2016, 09:28 AM
yeah you might not need a vise. try vise grips or channel-locks (i.e. more leverage). you're halfway there at least!

ajhapps
05-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Ah, right, vice grips! Pliers weren't doing the trick... good reason to swing by the hardware store. Thanks guys!

ultraman6970
05-04-2016, 08:21 PM
I have one of this moving around... agree... just grab that thing and turn the bolt.

yeah you might not need a vise. try vise grips or channel-locks (i.e. more leverage). you're halfway there at least!