PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex y Carbon a no no?

Tickdoc
03-12-2016, 08:13 PM
So I switched free hubs on my enve 3.4s to campy, then stripped off the old conti 4000s's and put some lovely gummy veloflex master 25's.

Dang they look good.

Then, just out of curiosity, I read the box.

Numero uno is do not place on carbon rims.

Whaaa?

fa63
03-12-2016, 08:31 PM
I used them on carbon rims for two years with no issues. I think the warning is just Veloflex being abundantly cautious.

sandyrs
03-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Cheap carbon rims used to have sharp edges by the bead that could cut the tire. Few to none still do. I used veloflex tires on Reynolds carbon clinchers for hundreds, maybe thousands of miles without incident. You'll be fine unless you're rocking Hong Fu house brand wheels from 2008.

Tickdoc
03-12-2016, 08:46 PM
You'll be fine unless you're rocking Hong Fu house brand wheels from 2008.

If I am then I got screwed big time ;-)

uber
03-12-2016, 08:53 PM
I used the Veloflex carbon tubulars on various carbon wheels including Enve without an issue. I find FMB's ride a bit nicer and are similarly priced. They might not last quite as long as the Veloflex but it is close.

sandyrs
03-12-2016, 09:05 PM
I used the Veloflex carbon tubulars on various carbon wheels including Enve without an issue. I find FMB's ride a bit nicer and are similarly priced. They might not last quite as long as the Veloflex but it is close.

We're talking about clinchers to be clear. The warning doesn't apply to tubulars as far as I know.

03-13-2016, 10:43 AM
This is a very old issue that was a subject of historical threads. It applies, as pointed out above, to early Asian rims that were very poorly finished. A very few of those rims gave a lot of people problems, the rim manufacturers fixed it, and that was the end of it. It was never a tire problem. Veloflex posted it as a warning because when people ran into the problem, they typically trashed the tire and the rim and it always got blamed on the tire.

fignon's barber
03-13-2016, 01:07 PM
I've been using veloflex corsa and master clinchers on carbon for the last 4 years. I think veloflex needs to update the verbage on their packaging.

Tickdoc
03-13-2016, 02:09 PM
I've been using veloflex corsa and master clinchers on carbon for the last 4 years. I think veloflex needs to update the verbage on their packaging.

I don't think I've read bike tire packaging ever until this one time....right after mounting them. Pfft.

berserk87
03-13-2016, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the responses - I have 2 pair of Veloflex tires waiting in the wings.

cachagua
03-13-2016, 10:50 PM
Simple enough to jig up the wheels (or put 'em in your frame), give 'em a spin, and check whether there are any sharp edges, wouldn't it be? And simple enough to smooth them off if you find some.

My ownself, having read that I'd want to be sure.

Veloo
03-14-2016, 06:55 AM
When I saw that warning on the Veloflex packaging, I thought it had something to do with a tight fit. A number of folks had mentioned the tires being difficult to mount and remove. Never had the problem myself but I thought maybe with the carbon, your risked breaking the hook track on the rim.

Tickdoc
03-14-2016, 07:02 AM
When I saw that warning on the Veloflex packaging, I thought it had something to do with a tight fit. A number of folks had mentioned the tires being difficult to mount and remove. Never had the problem myself but I thought maybe with the carbon, your risked breaking the hook track on the rim.

I thought they were easy to mount. So easy that I took them off and remounted the correct way :~P

I have a set of open corsa cx's that are damn near impossible to mount in comparison.

I really like the look and feel of the veloflex. Can't wait to see how they ride.

zap
03-14-2016, 07:30 AM
never mind.....carbon specific.

Need more coffee.......

Tickdoc
03-14-2016, 10:14 AM
So the well regarded and quite beautiful veloflex 25s are mounted the correct (backwards to my eye) way. I pump them up. Forget about them. I'm not able to ride them for a bit, just wanted to let them sit with some air in them.

I come back in the room and notice something looks off a bit.

Both tires have a pronounced bulge near the valve stem. One is more pronounced than the other. Both are sitting w 95 lbs pressure.

Wth?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/EE53B841-B080-4DAC-807F-FAC1886A6B09_zpstw7h9jon.jpgt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/51E457F7-5D8A-4B2E-A244-C666288354C8_zpsiy15mjc3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/0E36E792-F99D-4A31-9858-32BCE1A60397_zps1qlvyzm1.jpg

fa63
03-14-2016, 04:33 PM
Maybe it didn't seat very well in that area. I suspect it will go away one you sit on the bike and put some weight on them (unless there is a bigger issue at hand).

moobikes
03-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Assuming you have not tried this: You should deflate the tubes, leaving just enough air to hold their shape and push the beads deeper into the rim while pushing up on the valve stems to get them out of the way. The rubber patch at the base of the valve stems can get in the way and prevent the bead from seating properly.

Tickdoc
03-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Assuming you have not tried this: You should deflate the tubes, leaving just enough air to hold their shape and push the beads deeper into the rim while pushing up on the valve stems to get them out of the way. The rubber patch at the base of the valve stems can get in the way and prevent the bead from seating properly.

Trying it now. Seemed to work better on the front tire than the back. I'll post back once it sits for a while.

Just wondering if it could be an enve problem? I remember having a flat on these rims last fall, changing it, and having the spare (conti400s) pop out upon inflation in the Same spot. Luckily I had two co2 canisters on me, reseated, and second attempt was fine.

I've had lots of flats over the years on lots of rims and never had that happen til these.

madsciencenow
03-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the posts. I always wondered about this warning and strayed away from buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tickdoc
04-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Well dammit, it doesn't look like the awesome looking veloflexes are going to work on my sweet enve clinchers.

I switched hubs, mounted tires again ensuring that the bead was properly seated all the way around, aired them up to 95 each, and mounted them on my colnago.

Took them around the block to ensure they rode well and the cassette shifted well, and then came home.

About an hour later, it sounded like a gun went off in my bike room. The tube blew and the rim was clearly undpseated in the same valve area shown in the pics.

So what now? I guess I'll try another set of tires.

What is my next best 25 gumwalled smooth riding tire to try, because I'm sure as not hell riding e veloflex on these rims?

stephenmarklay
04-21-2016, 06:09 PM
I guess it depends on the wheel. I ran them on my Roval Carbn wheels without a hitch.

Tickdoc
04-21-2016, 06:13 PM
I guess it depends on the wheel. I ran them on my Roval Carbn wheels without a hitch.

Everything you guys have said and I have seen is that it is an outdated warning, but I don't like the sound of tires blowing or rims coming unseated.

I should just stick to tubulars.

Cicli
04-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Everything you guys have said and I have seen is that it is an outdated warning, but I don't like the sound of tires blowing or rims coming unseated.

I should just stick to tubulars.

The Veloflex warning has nothing to do with tires blowing off the rim. It has everything to do with some cheap carbon rims cutting through the bead area with unfinished edges.
Me thinkith something else is going on.
Vittoria Corsas ride really nice as well. Not as nice as a Veloflex but nice none the less. D

Blown Reek
04-21-2016, 07:31 PM
Well dammit...

It sure doesn't sound like you seated your tires correctly. I'm sure that if you were to talc the hell out of the inside of the tire, talc the tube, and install, you'd have completely different results. The problem isn't with the Veloflex tires, it's your technique.

And please don't say that you did.

rustychisel
04-21-2016, 07:37 PM
It sure doesn't sound like you seated your tires correctly. I'm sure that if you were to talc the hell out of the inside of the tire, talc the tube, and install, you'd have completely different results. The problem isn't with the Veloflex tires, it's your technique.

+ 1

They're worth persevering with. Put new tube in, pump about 5 ~ 10 psi in, just enough to give the tube shape, then work your way round both sides of the rim checking the tyre is seated correctly AND that the tube is properly forming inside the tyre carcass. At the valve, push the stem back in the hole 20mm or so and ensure the tube is properly sitting within the tyre carcass. Then inflate properly.

Because Veloflex are 'open tubular' as it says in the package, they're very supple and inclined to deform rather than settle into position.

Tickdoc
04-21-2016, 07:44 PM

Talc, no, but I have mounted my share of tubed tires with no fuss....in the rain, on a train, in a box, with a fox....never have I had one pop off. These sumbitches didn't seat on these rims from day one out of the box. Such a shame, too, because they look like really nice tires. I mounted them on some alloy rims just for fun and they seated fine.

What is the warranty on those enve rims again?

cadence90
04-21-2016, 07:45 PM
I'm sure that if you were to talc the hell out of the inside of the tire, talc the tube, and install, you'd have completely different results. The problem isn't with the Veloflex tires.
Exactly.

I have only ridden Corsa 23/25s for the last 10 years or more. Never on carbon rims (don't own any) but on plenty of various alu rims.

Rimstrips or VeloPlugs. Talc, careful seating, careful inflation, and never any problem; certainly nothing even close to those images. I think Veloflex are fantastic tires. I hope you can figure out the problem.

I mounted them on some alloy rims just for fun and they seated fine.
Well, there you go.

kramnnim
04-21-2016, 07:58 PM
The 6.7s I got from a fellow forumite came with Veloflex tires installed, they've been working fine...no bulges.

Which way is the correct direction?

Tickdoc
04-21-2016, 07:59 PM
The 6.7s I got from a fellow forumite came with Veloflex tires installed, they've been working fine...no bulges.

Which way is the correct direction?

Labels on the non drive side, but I doubt that would matter towards seating.