PDA

View Full Version : Chain Reaction has been great lately

eddief
02-22-2016, 05:25 PM
They are shipping fast as heck and using DHL for shipper, so you can actually track the packages.

sokyroadie
02-22-2016, 05:32 PM
They are shipping fast as heck and using DHL for shipper, so you can actually track the packages.

And probably pay duties :(

Jeff

eBAUMANN
02-22-2016, 05:35 PM

Jeff

Yup. I wish I had more hands, so I could give DHL 4 thumbs down.
:rolleyes:

eddief
02-22-2016, 05:47 PM
worth $250, no duty. When do I get the bill?

eBAUMANN
02-22-2016, 05:48 PM

Itll come in the mail in a week or 2. Just wait...

sw3759
02-22-2016, 05:48 PM

usually 1-3 weeks..if you don't see anything in a month your probably in the clear..

gdw
02-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Give them a couple weeks.
I've had good luck with Chain Reaction in the past but will no longer do business with them or any overseas company that uses DHL

eBAUMANN
02-22-2016, 05:55 PM
Give them a couple weeks.
I've had good luck with Chain Reaction in the past but will no longer do business with them or any overseas company that uses DHL

:beer:
same

eddief
02-22-2016, 06:12 PM
in the mail, revenuer come to my door?

eBAUMANN
02-22-2016, 06:14 PM
in the mail, revenuer come to my door?

they send you a bill, you pay online or over the phone. or they charge you late fees. dont pay that and they might send someone after you...who knows.

eddief
02-22-2016, 06:16 PM
How you pay duty depends on how your goods were shipped. If your goods were shipped through the International Postal Service, you will need to pay the mail carrier and/or go to your local post office to pay any duty and processing fees owed when your package arrives at that post office. If your goods were sent by a courier service, that service will either bill you for the duty they paid on your behalf or require payment on delivery.

If your goods were sent by freight, there are two possible scenarios for paying duty.

If no arrangements were made to forward the goods to your door, you will need to either clear them through CBP yourself, in which case you will pay duty directly to CBP at the port where your goods arrived. Alternatively, you will need to arrange for a broker to clear your goods. If you hire a broker, they will bill you for their services and any duty they paid on your behalf.

If arrangements were made to forward your goods to you, you will be billed for any duty owed, and for the services of the broker who cleared them through CBP.

they send you a bill, you pay online or over the phone. or they charge you late fees. dont pay that and they might send someone after you...who knows.

eBAUMANN
02-22-2016, 06:24 PM
Im assuming you are copy-pasting that from somewheres?

I have ordered from chain reaction and wiggle...both came via DHL.
I went to DHL's warehouse to pick up both packages because I was not home to sign for it.
I signed for it at their pickup counter, did not pay a fee and no fee or bill was ever mentioned when I was there.

A week or 2 later I get a bill in the mail from DHL.

That simple.

If you dont get a bill, it might be because the total of the goods you purchased was below whatever limit they set, or something.
But yea, generally speaking, with DHL, you pay duties.

OtayBW
02-22-2016, 06:59 PM
DHL classifies your items according the US Harmonized Tarrif Schedule and then assigns a duty fee based on the HTS. Unfortunately, they don't know a crankset (duty free) from a brakeset (not duty free), so they just bill you on whatever the hell they think they've got. Crapshoot. And yes, the bill comes later....

Good luck with it, though. You may make out alright, but I'm done with DHL.

45K10
02-22-2016, 07:07 PM
The only time I have been hit with duty fees from DHL was when I lived in Vancouver and it was a wheelset. I paid the delivery person right then and there with my cc.

So far since moving to the Boston area I have ordered three times from CRC and I haven't gotten dinged yet. It normally only takes two days to arrive which is much faster than if I order from a west coast place like Jenson.

merckx
02-22-2016, 07:50 PM
What overseas on-line shops use a postal carrier?

OtayBW
02-22-2016, 07:53 PM
I've had good luck with Ribble a few times.

tumbler
02-22-2016, 11:06 PM
What overseas on-line shops use a postal carrier?

In my experience, Ribble and Wiggle generally use a postal carrier and don't charge a duty as long as you avoid the expedited shipping options.

acoffin
02-23-2016, 12:09 AM
I just got some bar tape from CRC a few days ago. At 40% off and $9 shipping it ended up about the same price as my lbs, but in a color that is extremely difficult to find. The package arrived in three days, much sooner than I expected. That's quicker than my experience with some US retailers.

I am very happy with the service and was look forward to using them again. If I get a bill from DHL I will be very disappointed and will likely steer clear of them in the future. I'll let you know how it turns out.

jds108
02-23-2016, 12:25 AM

That's because they don't use DHL.

Neil
02-23-2016, 12:59 AM
UK carriers use different couriers based on package size and weight. They also chop and change depending on tarif - be interesting to see which of the Wiggle/CR logistics operations "wins" in the merger.

d_man16
02-23-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote of the day :o

BR,

~D

phcollard
02-23-2016, 06:46 AM

Lol. Same here. Avoid at all cost :no:

frank_h
02-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Agreed... Never had any luck with DHL. I haven't had the bill route happen, instead they always hold my items hostage at my local center.

Wiggle and CR have been 100% rate of DHL disasters.

Ribble, as others have mentioned, has always been smooth sailing. Only place I've been patronizing overseas nowadays.

eddief
02-23-2016, 07:20 AM
and you decide not to pay it?

frank_h
02-23-2016, 07:45 AM
and you decide not to pay it?

I've heard of people ignoring and nothing happened when they receive the bill after the items arrive (this is not common from my experience, they usually hold until payment). However, I've read on various other boards where people have ended up with the debt collectors knocking at the door.

Tony T
02-23-2016, 08:02 AM

Jeff

Are cycling parts not subject to the duty "tax"?

jemoryl
02-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Are cycling parts not subject to the duty "tax"?

The duty is usually so minimal that the USPS isn't interested in collecting it. The problem with UPS, FedEx, and DHL is that they see customs processing as a profit center and want to charge you a 'processing fee' (like $30) on top of any duties and impose it in every single case.

Bringing a suitcase full of wine into the US from Europe, the customs guy asked me why I thought I was having my bags examined in detail. I said you were probably interested in the wine (which I declared). He laughed and said something like "I probably shouldn't tell you this, but the duty we collect on that wine wouldn't even be worth filling out the paperwork for..." It turned out I was impatient with the inane questioning of the TSA idiot and she flagged me for a customs search to teach me a lesson. Customs guy seemed to know about her...

Tony T
02-23-2016, 01:18 PM
ok, i see, the "processing fee" by the carrier is the problem.
Yes, I would agree that that is not right.

gdw
02-23-2016, 01:35 PM
"I've heard of people ignoring and nothing happened when they receive the bill after the items arrive (this is not common from my experience, they usually hold until payment). However, I've read on various other boards where people have ended up with the debt collectors knocking at the door."

I had a go around with one of DHL's phone toughs a number of years ago. I sent them documents proving that no duties were owed on the items imported but they still wanted payment and the women I dealt with threatened to destroy my credit. I asked for her name and that of her supervisor and told her that they would hear from my lawyer, who I named along with her firm, that afternoon. The supervisor called back before being contacted and apologized for misunderstanding.

eddief
02-23-2016, 01:39 PM
why would the driver give me the packages at my door, say nothing about fees, and then the company sends me a bill? This all sounds so weird to me.

LJohnny
02-23-2016, 02:04 PM

That's because they don't use DHL.

If the order is around $200 or above, there is a chance that it may come via FedEx. It isn't a matter of fact that it will come that way but in my experience let us say 2 out of 8.

jemoryl
02-23-2016, 02:14 PM
why would the driver give me the packages at my door, say nothing about fees, and then the company sends me a bill? This all sounds so weird to me.

There is probably some document somewhere with a bunch of fine print at the bottom which obligates you to pay the fees. It is a racket.

eBAUMANN
02-23-2016, 02:18 PM

Sounds funny, but thats how they do it.
Ive also gotten similar bills from fedex for deliveries coming in from europe.