PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION: Domestic Bike Tours

Michael Maddox
02-17-2016, 09:09 PM
I've been challenged this year to actually TRAIN on my bike again. I suppose my office manager is tired of the poetic mythology of my racing days, so here I am, faced with the choice: train or shame.

I'm not kidding myself. I'm just in this for the fun of being in good enough condition to ENJOY...not just slog through...faster group rides, more difficult centuries, and eventually...Europe. (I'm going to ride those cobbles and climb those hills, dammit!)

To this end, I was thinking a bike tour sometime in the Fall might be fun. Despite my self-delusional racing career, and LOTS of riding, I've never ridden a tour before. I've never been one for tent camping, and I don't think I want the hassle of credit-card touring with baggage. So, I've been looking at tour companies that offer some interesting domestic trips.

60-80 miles a day, tops, would be best for me. Don't mind climbing, but I've the body of an ex-sprinter who has pushed a desk for most of the last 20 years. Don't need a bike...I DO NOT NEED A BIKE...someone buy some of the bikes I'm selling! Definitely want someone to carry my crap to the next night's stop. Love to meet people, and will likely be alone, as my family doesn't share my cycling interest. Don't really care where it is, but driving distance from Tallahassee, Florida would be easier for me.

I know there are a BUNCH of them, but I thought I'd ask, What's everyone's experience with the domestic bike tour companies? Trek Travel? VBT?

dumbod
02-18-2016, 10:05 AM
I suspect that you'll be hard pressed to find a tour company doing 60-80 miles a day. That's harder than most people want to work on vacation.

That being said, try RideNoho in Northampton Ma. They do fixed-base riding. You spend each night in the same room and ride for 4-5 hours each morning. Northampton is a very cool little town, the country is beautiful and the riding is varied (lots of climbing if you want it; some flats if you don't.)

I've done a lot of tours and the quality of the people (guides AND clients) is just as important as the riding itself. My wife and I have ridden with RideNoho a lot and have never been disappointed. The owners, Aldo and Elaine, have become good friends but I'm not recommending them because they're friends; they became friends because I can recommend them.

eddief
02-18-2016, 10:13 AM
and Johnny's your uncle. Is that how the saying goes?

http://www.pactour.com/

Will kick your butt as hard as you want it kicked. Pick a week:

http://www.pactour.com/desertcamp.html

Michael Maddox
02-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Well, I meant 60-80 at the longest. It seems that, if you find a 60 mile LONG day, you end up with a lot of 40 mile days as well. I mentioned that because there's a company doing a Natchez Trace ride where the final day is 126 miles.

eddief
02-18-2016, 10:31 AM
https://www.bicycleadventureclub.org/html/?return=/html/index.asp

They are priced right and fill up a year in advance.

Mr. Pink
02-18-2016, 10:38 AM
Aren't many "tour" companies in America, relative to the European offerings. But, I'd look at fixed base vacations as mentioned above. RideNoHo is a good choice. Fixed base is cheaper (much less logistics) and easier. There's also the option of skipping bad weather days, instead of having to get to the next bed, rain or shine.

It's 2016, so you have new options open to you, provided by technology. A navigation enabled Garmin unit (801, 1000, or whatever the top models are these days) paired up with a cloud mapping software, like Ridewithgps is a great tool for exploring new places to ride. An electronic guide, if you will. Just look up rides on Ridewithgps, download them on the Garmin, and do it. Try to buy the Garmin and learn how to use it well before the trip, though. They can be a tad, er, quirky at times, even freezing up while using it. I felt pretty confident using the thing to navigate after owning it for a season, but, definitely print out paper maps as backup. You can do that from Ridewithgps.

So, pick a cool place to ride for a week, and try that. My suggestions are Saratoga Springs in NY, which is an awesome party town with great riding all around it. Just avoid race season. Too expensive. Cooperstown, NY is superb. And Summit county high in Colorado is a great spot for fixed base cycling, although it's all pretty much climbing and descending. Good luck.

JanG
02-18-2016, 10:53 AM
I can second the RideNoho recommendation if fixed base touring works for you. It works out well for me with family in MA, but I've enjoyed riding there enough that I've gone to Northampton without any family visits. Been doing it for 16 years.

I'm not one for tent camping while on a bike tour. I've ridden across Utah with this outfit: http://www.cyclingescapes.com/. We stayed in motels. I also did a ride across Pennsylvania where we stayed in college dorms. However, I can't find a link to the outfit, maybe someone else knows of it. (maybe out of business?)

JanG

tigoat
02-18-2016, 11:05 AM
http://blackbearadventures.com/blue-ridge-parkway/

If you ride climbing, then it would be hard to beat touring the Blue Ridge Parkway on the east side of the Mississippi.

tv_vt
02-18-2016, 11:14 AM
How about Vermont Bicycle Tours (VBT)? Actually, they may be too low-key for you.

PACtour may have longer mileage than you want, but they are great and low cost. Have some friends who crew for them a lot.

cat6
02-18-2016, 11:37 AM
The BRP is definitely beautiful and a must see but I would not want to spend 10 days touring it. The views are repetitive and resources are limited/repetitive. Also car traffic is a bit of a PITA on the narrow 2 lane road.

OP what about attempting to gather your own group and all contributing to a follow van to carry your stuff. Could be cheaper and more flexible to a route of your own design. Figure that could be an option considering some of these trips are pretty $$ per person.

bikinchris
02-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Would multi day tours work? Florida has tours near you. Bike Florida, Bubba Fest etc.

donevwil
02-18-2016, 01:14 PM
I'll throw in the Cycle Oregon's Week Ride (http://cycleoregon.com/). I've done it nine times (eight with my wife, well seven as my wife, we met on CO 2001) because it's relatively inexpensive for what you get, very well organized and easily accessed from CA. The size might be intimidating or off-putting at first, but it is quite amazing how well it's pulled off. If you don't like camping you might try the tent and porter service or arrange lodging in the respective towns, many do. It is about as far from FL as one can get in the conti US, however.

rnhood
02-18-2016, 01:41 PM
I think the Bike Florida, otherwise known as the Florida Safari, is already sold out. But I could be wrong... Its certainly worth checking out as its in a beautiful section of Florida with great cycling roads and little traffic. Not an expensive tour either.

Blackbear Adventures, as mentioned above offers some good tours.

Also, you might want to consider attending one of Chris Carmichael's training camps. They are located in Brevard now and I have good reviews from people that attended one.