PDA

View Full Version : OT: Best method of getting oil and tire marks off of Fabric in cars?

Shortsocks
10-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Hey folks.

So Mrs.Shortssocks and I are going out of town for a couple of weeks and we're taking my folks car so and in exchange we are giving them our car to hold onto to for a couple of weeks. So I decided to try to clean up the car and the inside of my car has fabric seats. Problem is my car is actually a bicycle transportation vehicle not really for people so I have mostly tire marks on the fabric which is like light black streaks, and some oil marks from where my legs had oil on them and then sqt on those fabric chairs.

What do you guys or gals use to remove those from fabric? Like some type of chemical cleaner or natural organic substance any help would be appreciated. I'm afraid to put anything on it because I don't want it to streak more or plant into the fabric to make gray blotches...

Thanks in Advance.

Hank Scorpio
10-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Don't forget the headliner too. I would think a solution of Dr. Bronners and water would work well and would leave you car with a nice fresh scent.

Shortsocks
10-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Don't forget the headliner too. I would think a solution of Dr. Bronners and water would work well and would leave you car with a nice fresh scent.

AHHH!! Why did you have to bring up the headliner?! I was hoping my folks wouldn't look UP! Lol. I'm actually laughing my ass off at the moment. You read my mind. How did you know?

thwart
10-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Blankets to cover the seats would work too... ;)

echappist
10-27-2015, 03:07 PM
What do you guys or gals use to remove those from fabric? Like some type of chemical cleaner or natural organic substance any help would be appreciated. I'm afraid to put anything on it because I don't want it to streak more or plant into the fabric to make gray blotches...

Thanks in Advance.

actually redundant. Goof off is made of xylene, acetone, ethyl benzene, and methanol. The stuff in citrus cleaners is limonene, which decomposes to give formaldehyde. All are natural and organic.

Either will work in conjunction with some pumice, but the odor may be unbearable... Some grey will remain, but you can reduce the intensity

before
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kHW46C_pKR8/VV5DlxJSU6I/AAAAAAAADr4/RJoyEbPW8AI/s1024-Ic42/IMG_0267.JPG
after
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lDmf18P9lJM/VV5DmEJuYwI/AAAAAAAADr8/BjQn9hbykn4/s1024-Ic42/IMG_0268.JPG

druptight
10-27-2015, 03:57 PM
actually redundant. Goof off is made of xylene, acetone, ethyl benzene, and methanol. The stuff in citrus cleaners is limonene, which decomposes to give formaldehyde. All are natural and organic.

Either will work in conjunction with some pumice, but the odor may be unbearable... Some grey will remain, but you can reduce the intensity

I use citrus degreaser when I get chain grease on my bike clothes. Works like a charm.

dustyrider
10-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Use something with pumice in it to dry clean. Then use laundry soap to wet clean. Of course the best way to keep something clean is to not get it dirty in the first place...

echappist
10-27-2015, 05:23 PM
I use citrus degreaser when I get chain grease on my bike clothes. Works like a charm.

agreed. i've saved some rather nice dress shirts from the bike cloth pile using citrus degreaser and a toothbrush.

too bad carpet fibers are a bit more harder to clean...

donevwil
10-27-2015, 06:31 PM
I've had good results with Folex. A bit more challenging than a citrus degreaser on cutting truly tough grease stains, but yields a much more repeatable and thorough result in the end. Degreaser can lead to the dreaded "liquefy and spread" if you're too aggressive making the job bigger and bigger before you get on top of it.

F150
10-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Car with black cloth interior. Priority One in my latest purchase.

druptight
10-27-2015, 09:41 PM
I've had good results with Folex. A bit more challenging than a citrus degreaser on cutting truly tough grease stains, but yields a much more repeatable and thorough result in the end. Degreaser can lead to the dreaded "liquefy and spread" if you're too aggressive making the job bigger and bigger before you get on top of it.

Folex is my go-to for any carpet/upholstery issues.

Shortsocks
10-27-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks guys. NEVER heard of the Folex before. Seems to be a good one...and its inexpensive. Ill pick some up tomm and give that a shot. Ill take some before and after pictures just for giggles...also good call on the Dark Interior. I have NO clue why I went with a light colored interior this time around.

needmobikes
10-28-2015, 12:41 AM
I also use folex and it works pretty darn good. Since I've had a bad history with oil spots, I now use a white cloth tarp underneath my stand. It catches all of the gunk that flys off the chain and pulleys when cleaning. Plus, it helps locate where the gunk is. Lol, yup, proactive.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

paredown
10-28-2015, 06:09 AM
Once you've spot treated, I have had pretty good luck with the spray and dry cleaner, Blue Coral. In most automotive parts stores.

Once it dries you vacuum it off. I've had pretty good success with it on the fabric seats of my truck that get pretty dirty from work clothes.

donevwil
10-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Folex is my go-to for any carpet/upholstery issues.

Pretty great stuff. It was originally recommended to me for pet stains.

Keith A
10-28-2015, 10:47 AM
For cleaning oily stuff, Dawn dish-washing liquid works pretty well.

TimD
10-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Goof off is made of xylene, acetone, ethyl benzene, and methanol. The stuff in citrus cleaners is limonene, which decomposes to give formaldehyde. All are natural and organic.

Were you laughing when you wrote this?

Makes me think my spray can of Wurth CU800 lubricant (consisting of lead, copper, mineral oil, and bunch of other nasty stuff acting as propellant) is fairly classified as 'organic' :beer:

echappist
10-28-2015, 04:05 PM
Were you laughing when you wrote this?

Makes me think my spray can of Wurth CU800 lubricant (consisting of lead, copper, mineral oil, and bunch of other nasty stuff acting as propellant) is fairly classified as 'organic' :beer:

well, copper and lead are not organic, though they could be organometallic; propellants, it depends.

i always get a chuckle when people think naturally occurring chemicals are somehow "safe." And organic in the context of anything not food related will include things like aromatic hydrocarbons. Limonene really is the worst offender here as people think citrusy stuff must be safe...

As you may have surmised, i'm trained as a chemist.

professerr
10-28-2015, 04:08 PM
well, copper and lead are not organic, though they could be organometallic; propellants, it depends.

i always get a chuckle when people think naturally occurring chemicals are somehow "safe." And organic in the context of anything not food related will include things like aromatic hydrocarbons. Limonene really is the worst offender here as people think citrusy stuff must be safe...

As you may have surmised, i'm trained as a chemist.

Arsenic is all natural.