PDA

View Full Version : Mixte as a grocery hauler?

Gsinill
07-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Have a chance to acquire a really nice Miyata mixte and was wondering what the general consensus on "guys on a mixte" is.
I could get rid of my wife's cheapo Fuji and we both could use the Miyata reducing the fleet by one vs. adding another grocery hauler for me.
I probably shouldn't care what others think but want to throw it out anyway.
Who would be offended in their manliness by riding a mixte to the supermarket?

Ray
07-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Have a chance to acquire a really nice Miyata mixte and was wondering what the general consensus on "guys on a mixte" is.
I could get rid of my wife's cheapo Fuji and we both could use the Miyata reducing the fleet by one vs. adding another grocery hauler for me.
I probably shouldn't care what others think but want to throw it out anyway.
Who would be offended in their manliness by riding a mixte to the supermarket?

I might have gotten one of Riv's mixties if I'd had the money at the time, but bought a Bleriot instead - it's been an awesome town bike for 8-9 years now. Jimmy Carter and Roslyn used to ride around Plains on Riv mixties - I wouldn't sweat the image thing...

-Ray

Ken Robb
07-25-2015, 11:45 AM
I don't think I give a hoot about what others think about my bikes or what I wear when I ride one. I might get one of Rivs mixte-type bikes in the future.

Having said that once we load a bike with backs and/or racks for grocery-getting we have established ourselves as practical riders who, while riding such a bike, don't care about a racer image so "fred" comments aren't likely to be forthcoming. :)

R3awak3n
07-25-2015, 12:15 PM
I would ride a mixte, specially if it looked like this:

http://36.media.tumblr.com/905525c76c17d7b41e514d41b0587527/tumblr_moli9cGMal1r3qy0mo1_500.jpg

F150
07-26-2015, 07:22 PM
I would ride a mixte, specially if it looked like this:

http://36.media.tumblr.com/905525c76c17d7b41e514d41b0587527/tumblr_moli9cGMal1r3qy0mo1_500.jpg

To me, a sloping top tube along the lines of today's bikes, especially one big enough for me to ride, is not attractive. Perhaps that's why I still ride old steel with conventional geometry. But that mixte is attractive! For what you want to do with it, seems like a worthy platform.

Question: for grocery-gettin', would a small trailer be an option? No worry about balancing the load, can be had easily and cheap, and if that Miyata looks anything like the bike above, a trailer might just keep if from getting swiped while you are inside the store. Just a thought. Cars might even give you wider berth thinking a little one is in tow.

rwsaunders
07-26-2015, 07:31 PM
It makes sense to have a frame that you can easily dismount when hauling a grocery cart...go for it.

icepick_trotsky
07-27-2015, 10:28 AM
I'd go for this in a heartbeat. Step-through frame are great grocery bikes because you often have to wait at a stoplight while loaded. Easy on and off is a big plus.

Miyata made some really nice mixtes, too. In my experience, Japanese mixtes were spec'd much better than European made ones. Nicer steel and nicer components.

Ray
07-27-2015, 10:53 AM
It can also actually be somewhat difficult to swing a leg over when you've got two fully loaded grocery panniers/baskets on the back, so a step through frame would be a good thing there. I don't haul huge loads on my Bleriot often enough for it to be an issue, and when it is, i'm still young and limber enough to pull it off. But in another 10 years, I might be a prime candidate for one of these. Or a golf cart.... :cool:

-Ray

eddief
07-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Metrosexual is a portmanteau, derived from metropolitan and sexual, coined in 1994 describing a man (especially one living in an urban, post-industrial, capitalist culture) who is especially meticulous about his grooming and appearance, typically spending a significant amount of time and money on shopping as part of this.

Polyglot
07-27-2015, 11:17 PM
I honestly do not see the appeal of a mixte frame as they are considerably more flexible than a diamond frame. My mother has been riding 650B mixte frames since the early 70's and they are great bikes but when you load them up they do become somewhat uncomposed in their handling when compared to my father's 650B diamond frame bike (built with the same tubing). As far as dismounting, after decades of riding tandems, triplets and tricycles, I have grown accustomed to swinging my leg over the handlebars. With a little bid of practice it becomes natural and I feel easier than swinging your leg over the back of the bike and definitely much easier than getting your leg trough a mixte frame.