PDA

View Full Version : Pad recommendations for pre-2005 Veloce

acorn_user
02-01-2015, 08:01 PM
I wonder if I might tap the forums collective wisdom here? I'm running Veloce 9 speed, the set before they changed the rear derailleur geometry, but with round hoods (I think it's probably 2004). My brake blocks are not going to last the season, and I'm wondering what the best replacement are. I'd ideally like to use SwissStop blue pads, but I'd need some holders. Could I run Shimano type holders, or do I need the Campagnolo ones? I'd prefer not to have to wrestle with the ca. 2005 type Campanolo holders!

thirdgenbird
02-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Shimano holders should work fine. The hardware is probably a slighly smaller OD, but it should work fine.

choke
02-01-2015, 09:42 PM
As thirdgenbird said, the diameter of the bolt is smaller so they will work. Depending on the holder you choose, you may have to use some extra washers or spacers to get the holder to tighten down - I've seen some where the bolt was pretty long. I attempted to go that route but ultimately ended up using more modern Campy holders.

one60
02-01-2015, 09:49 PM
there are swiss stop pads in green (GHP) & blue (BXP) designed for campy pad holders, no need to buy shimano holders to run swiss stop.

BTW, swiss stop are awesome on alloy rims, good choice.

thirdgenbird
02-01-2015, 10:16 PM
there are swiss stop pads in green (GHP) & blue (BXP) designed for campy pad holders, no need to buy shimano holders to run swiss stop.

BTW, swiss stop are awesome on alloy rims, good choice.

It sounds like he has the Veloce brakes that came with the block style pads. Either way he is buying holders.

acorn_user
02-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Yes, to confirm, I'm using Veloce blocks that don't have holders (I think the current model number is BR-VL600).

Glad to hear that I can use Shimano holders. Looks like my next step will be to beg some off a team mate!

thirdgenbird
02-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Yes, to confirm, I'm using Veloce blocks that don't have holders (I think the current model number is BR-VL600).

Glad to hear that I can use Shimano holders. Looks like my next step will be to beg some off a team mate!

$25 should get you a set of new jagwire holders.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2015, 05:51 AM
I wonder if I might tap the forums collective wisdom here? I'm running Veloce 9 speed, the set before they changed the rear derailleur geometry, but with round hoods (I think it's probably 2004). My brake blocks are not going to last the season, and I'm wondering what the best replacement are. I'd ideally like to use SwissStop blue pads, but I'd need some holders. Could I run Shimano type holders, or do I need the Campagnolo ones? I'd prefer not to have to wrestle with the ca. 2005 type Campanolo holders!

shimano type holders, like Jagwire. Then use shimano type slide n pads.