PDA

View Full Version : I'll never do this again!!!

SoCalSteve
04-01-2006, 03:43 PM
So, my big boss, not my boss, but my bosses boss (have I lost you?) keeps telling me about this great carbon fiber Trek he has and how he'd like to get back into riding again, yadda yadda yadda (see E-Richies Seinfeld posting)...

So, I'm thinking ok, nice OCLV with Ultegra..I'll adjust the der's, clean up the chain, replace tubes and tires and call it a day...

Ok, so I go and grab it from the back of his SUV and I notice its a bit dirty (in the basement of a parking structure-low light) as I put it in the back of my SUV.....Take it home and see that I am filthy dirty! This bike is one big mess!!! Cob webs, caked in dirt, grease everywhere and its a Trek 2100...I have never ever seen nor heard of this bike. It has 3 tubes that are carbon and the rest of the tubing is Al. The fork is steel and the components are a mix of 105 and something called 100 (I think...I've never heard of this.).

After an hours of soaking it, a 1/2 hour of truing both wheels and another hour putting it back together, new tires, adjustments and a test ride......I tell my wife, never again!

This 20 minute job took half an afternoon.

I learned a valuable lesson here. I'm not sure what it is, but I will surely consider biting my tongue the next time someone asks me to help get their bike back up to snuff.

Either that or put up a labor rate chart.

I guess the real lesson is that I enjoy working on bikes...But, MY BIKES! My nice, new and clean bikes...

Steve

Fixed
04-01-2006, 03:47 PM
bro I feel for you i bet he rides it once and puts away for another ten years that bike is what 15 years old ?cheers

Grant McLean
04-01-2006, 03:49 PM
So, my big boss, not my boss, but my booses boss (have I lost you?) keeps telling me about this great carbon fiber Trek he has and how he'd like to get back into riding again, yadda yadda yadda (see E-Richies Seinfeld posting)...
Steve

Sounds like your boss is natural born upper management,
always referring to great things they accomplished from 10 years
in the past...
I think you need to point out that his bike is soooo pre dot com.

-g

Kevan
04-01-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't know how better to break this to you, but we're the ones that aren't stable. They're bicycles for cripe sakes. They should be hanging out in the garage with rakes, lawnmowers and things like that.

I mean who takes pictures of their bicycles? Now really!

Bruce K
04-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Steve;

The bike that got me back out on the raod was a Trek 2100 (not sure if that's good or bad).

In some ways, Trek was probably WAY ahead of their time with this composite frame.

I sold mine off when I bought my Concours.

BK

SoCalSteve
04-01-2006, 04:07 PM
I don't know how better to break this to you, but we're the ones that aren't stable. They're bicycles for cripe sakes. They should be hanging out in the garage with rakes, lawnmowers and things like that.

I mean who takes pictures of their bicycles? Now really!

Post of the day! Maybe post of the whole weekend!!!

Really and truly made me laugh. Thank you!

Steve

andy mac
04-01-2006, 04:48 PM
hey,

you did a cool thing for someone else. just because they are higher or lower on the supposed food chain doesn't make them more or less worthy.

good karma coming your way!!!

:beer:

a

Too Tall
04-01-2006, 05:21 PM
What Andy said. Good on yah matey :)

72gmc
04-01-2006, 05:24 PM
You've done an admirable thing, whether your boss knows enough to appreciate it or not. Back in high school I was the only bike racer in the neighborhood and was approached by a local mom with a request to get her kids' bikes back in shape. I worked the better part of a day on those filthy things for 15 or 20 bucks, but it still felt good to make someone else happy with my silly obsession.

Returning a bicycle to working condition is a pretty good use of time.

97CSI
04-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Trek 2100, 2300 & 2500 (the earliest in '88) were all graphite fiber tubes with aluminum lugs. While not the latest thing today, they are excellent bikes and terrific all round rides for everything but racing. Recently built up a 50cm 2300 with an 8-speed Shimano 600 group with bar-end shifters for my daughter. Just the thing for her needs. I replaced the steel fork with a carbon fork, but all else is stock. Your boss of bosses cold do much worse.

One of the folks in our club was pestered by his direct boss to ride with him every lunch hour the past couple of years. Meant that he (a big guy at 6'5" and 275) pulled his boss around for an hour most every decent day they were both in town. Late last year his boss ran into the back of him and knocked them both into the ditch. Broke his bosses arm and bruised them both pretty good. But, after recovering his boss is pestering him to get out there and tow him around again this spring. Bosses are wonderful animals. Think Dilbert has it about right.

pdonk
04-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I am going to out myself with this post. I ride a cheap road bike and see keeping it for the forseeable future.

My road bike is a trek 2100. I bought it in 1996, it was subsequently replaced in 2001 due to a broken frame. Probably have 40 000 km on it. Mostly original parts, replaced seat post -thomson setback, stem - serotta ti (got it on close out), saddle (flite), disposable parts have been replaced. The 100rx parts are definite work horses, still riding the original shifters.

As for the fork, if it is an older one, the fork is probably aluminum and scary flexy for larger sizes. Trek replaced mine when I complained with a carbon fork. When they replaced my frame they also sent a new carbon fork, so I expect newer frames all got the "upgrade".

Lincoln
04-01-2006, 06:34 PM
I worked in a few shops that sold Treks. I thought that was a great frame for the price point. Most of the frames it was competing against were overly harsh aluminium.

pdxmech13
04-02-2006, 12:33 AM
makes me laugh this whole thing :banana:

OldDog
04-02-2006, 06:38 AM
I had a 2100 and I thought it was the most uncomfortable, ars-mashing, jaw chattering overly stiff frame I ever rode. Had some snap though!

jerk
04-02-2006, 06:14 PM
that thing should have been thrown in a river.

jerk

saab2000
04-02-2006, 06:37 PM
The former Mrs. Saab2000 (who is still Mr. Saab2000's best friend) has one of these. It might have 50 miles on it.

It is 105 and RX100. I have no idea how the bike rides, but the 105 stuff worked fine. For a while during Bill Clinton's first administration I used the rear wheel with my 8-speed Record ergo and the limit screws adjusted for the 7-speed cassette. Worked better than the Campy Record.

SoCalSteve has not been riding long if he doesn't know what RX100 is.

SoCalSteve
04-02-2006, 06:51 PM
The former Mrs. Saab2000 (who is still Mr. Saab2000's best friend) has one of these. It might have 50 miles on it.

It is 105 and RX100. I have no idea how the bike rides, but the 105 stuff worked fine. For a while during Bill Clinton's first administration I used the rear wheel with my 8-speed Record ergo and the limit screws adjusted for the 7-speed cassette. Worked better than the Campy Record.

SoCalSteve has not been riding long if he doesn't know what RX100 is.

SoCalSteve used a MAC until Windows 95 (so he doesnt know DOS either) and got into cycling in 1997. Shimano 600 was being phased out by Ultegra.

9 years seems like a pretty long time, but I guess very short compared to many other people on the forum.

Steve

SoCalSteve
04-02-2006, 06:57 PM
that thing should have been thrown in a river.

jerk

It would have been easier to clean had I done that...

But, the owner of this bike is who ultimately signs my paychecks.....

And, who ultimately helped me buy the Pegoretti (from the Jerk) that will be on my doorsetp on Tuesday. (pictures and a ride report to follow)

Thanks to all of you for the words of encouragement and a bit of a history lesson as well.

The silver lining of this dark cloud is that I was able to get rid of some older tubes and a set of tires that I will never ride (GP 3000's).

I told him (the big boss) that he will have to pay for the parts and that I would do the labor for free. So, in the end, I'll put a $100.00 in my pocket for stuff that has been hanging out in my garage for some time.

Steve

saab2000
04-02-2006, 06:57 PM
SoCalSteve used a MAC until Windows 95 (so he doesnt know DOS either) and got into cycling in 1997. Shimano 600 was being phased out by Ultegra.

9 years seems like a pretty long time, but I guess very short compared to many other people on the forum.

Steve

Well, I guess I dated myself....... :crap: No offense intended. Besides, I guess it doesn't matter if you started 50 years ago or this month. :beer:

SoCalSteve
04-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, I guess I dated myself....... :crap: No offense intended. Besides, I guess it doesn't matter if you started 50 years ago or this month. :beer:

No offense taken!

Steve

Erik.Lazdins
04-02-2006, 08:26 PM
So, my big boss, not my boss, but my bosses boss (have I lost you?) keeps telling me about this great carbon fiber Trek he has and how he'd like to get back into riding again, yadda yadda yadda (see E-Richies Seinfeld posting)...
I guess the real lesson is that I enjoy working on bikes...But, MY BIKES! My nice, new and clean bikes...

Steve

" I feel your pain"

Help a kid fix their bike next - it will make your day.

SoCalSteve
04-02-2006, 08:40 PM
" I feel your pain"

Help a kid fix their bike next - it will make your day.

I think that would be WAY different! Not some overweight producer who hasnt been on this bike in well over 10 years...(even the cobwebs looked old).

Steve