PDA

View Full Version : wheel building question

weisan
01-04-2015, 11:17 AM
I have posted this question in a PM to a couple of knowledgeable folks but I thought why not create a thread to field answers from a wider audience plus share the findings with others.

I got a Mavic Ksyrium SL rear hub that I would like to use to build a rear wheel. It's 20 holes.

Question: do I necessarily have to stay within the mavic family or can I venture outside and get something that is compatible (spokes, rims)?
What are your recommendations?
I would like to build something economical, strong and sturdy, nothing fancy, weight is secondary.

I weigh 165 IBS.
Also, if it helps to know, I have trued my own wheels on the past, just never build one from ground up.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mjXIi1kIfogK-hQSVQMSmug.jpg

pinkshogun
01-04-2015, 11:26 AM
if you break a spoke can you just run into any LBS and pick one up or is it a special order thing

shovelhd
01-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Mavic spokes are proprietary but they are easy to find.

You are ging to get a lot of people telling you that Mavic hubs are junk and not worth your time. Do what makes you happy. You will need straight pull spokes which limits your choices. Pillar makes them, as do others.

weisan
01-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Appreciate my pals responses so far. Just to clarify, I am looking to build a wheel from scratch, mainly harvesting the Mavic hub in my possession.

I happened upon a source for a new pair of Ksyrium SL SSC rims for $100. I am tripping up on the spokes, so far the only places I can find is on eBay, for used ones asking up to $10 a piece! :D

Rusty Luggs
01-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Ksyrium rim uses proprietary spoke nipple, which means you must use their spoke/nipple assemblies (and the proprietary spoke wrench). Some Ksyrium spokes are fairly easy to come by, some are harder (older vintage harder). I replaced a spoke on a newer (ES) Kysrium, and paid like $6 for one spoke. As far as using the hub with another rim, the hub was also designed for the proprietary spoke, which has a relatively large head. I doubt the “nail head” on a conventional straight pull spoke would work. If you got the hub cheap, it is because it is really only suitable for the proprietary rim and spokes.

Don’t think it is a good starting point for a first time wheel builder just looking to build an economical, sturdy wheel.

AustinHorse
01-04-2015, 01:55 PM
expensive spokes and busted freehubs are the issue with the otherwise excellent ksyriums. I have a retired rear i'd be happy to donate for the spokes & whatver else may be usable on it to you. it's in nyc and i won't be home for a couple weeks but hit me up if this sounds enticing.

weisan
01-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Austin-pal, that's exceedingly generous of you, it would be perfect for what I need. I have sent you a PM.

ergott
01-04-2015, 02:19 PM
The only way to build with that hub is to rebuild it as another Ksyrium. The spokes won't work with other rims. The spoke fitting on the hubs is not standard. Question is whether you want to rebuild a Ksyrium when they are so easily had complete. Best use for a spare hub is for parts.

AustinHorse
01-04-2015, 02:37 PM
The only way to build with that hub is to rebuild it as another Ksyrium. The spokes won't work with other rims. The spoke fitting on the hubs is not standard. Question is whether you want to rebuild a Ksyrium when they are so easily had complete. Best use for a spare hub is for parts.

this is pretty much true- if you're looking for a lesson in wheelbuilding you will pretty much only learn how to relace a funky ksyrium (relatively unlike traditional wheels). still happy to send you this wheel and free up a hook.

ultraman6970
01-04-2015, 03:15 PM
1st thing you have to do is to check if a regular dt, sapim or pillar straight pull spoke fits in that hub. Campagnolo straight pull ones are totally different in the head but the mavic are quite similar to the previously mentioned brand ones, even one of my friends got a straight pull dt spoke to replace one of his mavic wheels.

One you have that problem solved, technically speaking you should be able to put any rim you want in the new wheel as long as the holes kind'a mimic the mavic rim ones. The next inconvenient is the spoke calculation spoke hehehe...

:)

weisan
01-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Thank you all for your responses. Once again, you have helped me out tremendously.

I think I am gonna go ahead and embark on this grade school project, especially since all the materials are now pretty much complete and available.

No pain, no gain.