PDA

View Full Version : Routes around in Westfield MA

marciero
10-10-2014, 06:19 AM
Am doing the Great River Ride in western-central Mass this Sunday with my girlfriend. We are headed out there today and staying in West Springfield. Any suggestions for routes in the area for rides today and tomorrow? One idea we had is to do one of the D2R2 routes. But I think we may want something a bit, um, mellower. For anyone doing GRR the ride, we will be on matching blue Rawland Stag 650B bikes, and plan on the 85 mile route. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

shovelhd
10-10-2014, 06:30 AM
West Springfield is an urban area. There are ways to ride out of it but I wouldn't bother. Drive up to Northwmpton, park, and ride from there. There at a gazillion nice routes in the area. Some of them that I do variants of frequently are on the NCC routes page at www.nohobikeclub.org. We ride on Saturday mornings at 10 if you are interested in riding with a group.

stien
10-10-2014, 06:32 AM
The fiancé and I are riding it as well! Doing the 100 miler and will be on Cervelos (R3, SLC). Lucky you get to ride the area today, we are stuck at work. Going to hotel it tomorrow night.

cd_davis
10-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Lucky you, I've ridden the GRR 4-5 times, but not this year. The riding in Western MA is excellent, but save some energy for the ride.....challenging especially if Jacob's Ladder is still on the route. Enjoy!!!

marciero
10-10-2014, 10:07 AM
West Springfield is an urban area. There are ways to ride out of it but I wouldn't bother. Drive up to Northwmpton, park, and ride from there. There at a gazillion nice routes in the area. Some of them that I do variants of frequently are on the NCC routes page at www.nohobikeclub.org. We ride on Saturday mornings at 10 if you are interested in riding with a group.

Great. Looks like some possibilities there. thanks.

ctbiker
10-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Yup, I'll be there too doing the 85.

A number of years ago the temperatures preceding the GRR had been exceptionally high so I showed up at the start in shorts and short sleeves. The ride sported the first "real" feel of Fall with a starting temp in the high 30's - I froze my patooty off!

Morning temp should be around 45.

You can search ridewithgps.com for rides around Westfield.