Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2014, 06:19 AM

Routes around in Westfield MA

Am doing the Great River Ride in western-central Mass this Sunday with my girlfriend. We are headed out there today and staying in West Springfield. Any suggestions for routes in the area for rides today and tomorrow? One idea we had is to do one of the D2R2 routes. But I think we may want something a bit, um, mellower. For anyone doing GRR the ride, we will be on matching blue Rawland Stag 650B bikes, and plan on the 85 mile route. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:30 AM

West Springfield is an urban area. There are ways to ride out of it but I wouldn't bother. Drive up to Northwmpton, park, and ride from there. There at a gazillion nice routes in the area. Some of them that I do variants of frequently are on the NCC routes page at www.nohobikeclub.org. We ride on Saturday mornings at 10 if you are interested in riding with a group.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 AM

Routes around in Westfield MA

The fiancé and I are riding it as well! Doing the 100 miler and will be on Cervelos (R3, SLC). Lucky you get to ride the area today, we are stuck at work. Going to hotel it tomorrow night.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:33 AM

Lucky you, I've ridden the GRR 4-5 times, but not this year. The riding in Western MA is excellent, but save some energy for the ride.....challenging especially if Jacob's Ladder is still on the route. Enjoy!!!
Old 10-10-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
West Springfield is an urban area. There are ways to ride out of it but I wouldn't bother. Drive up to Northwmpton, park, and ride from there. There at a gazillion nice routes in the area. Some of them that I do variants of frequently are on the NCC routes page at www.nohobikeclub.org. We ride on Saturday mornings at 10 if you are interested in riding with a group.
Great. Looks like some possibilities there. thanks.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:59 PM

Yup, I'll be there too doing the 85.

A number of years ago the temperatures preceding the GRR had been exceptionally high so I showed up at the start in shorts and short sleeves. The ride sported the first "real" feel of Fall with a starting temp in the high 30's - I froze my patooty off!

Morning temp should be around 45.

You can search ridewithgps.com for rides around Westfield.