PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof bib short or bib knicker?

c-record
10-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Anyone have any experience with anything like this? Cold rides-not winter but wet. Keeping the butt dry but not cold enough for thermal tights. I haven't seen much out there. Thanks.

Mark McM
10-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Fenders (full or partial) and/or long tailed jacket.

sandyrs
10-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Ale Klimatik. Got a couple rides on mine and they're great so far. Nice and warm, water repellent and available for ~$100 on Wiggle. Fenders too, as suggested above. No reason not to do both.

teleguy57
10-07-2014, 12:36 PM
+1 on the fenders.

Just received Eundura Thermo Windshield Bibs (http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=231) in today's mail to complement the pair of 10-yr old Cannodale Carbon wind/waterproof bib knicks that are going strong but starting to show signs of wear.

I think I'm going to like them a lot; fit is good and the waterproof panels on the seat/back of legs look to be pretty solid. Fabric is substantial. Online reviews are strong. The proof will come on the first colder/wet ride.

Also picked up a pair of Castelli Nanoflex bib knick (http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/711/)s in the same order (Ribble w/10% off sale last week) for conditions that are wet but perhaps a bit warmer -- although they may end up being pretty interchangable.

If they would have come last week I'd have real-life experience in cold/wet (it was 37F and windy when I left the house Sunday and my Cannondales worked well). Today hi of 61 and looks to be dry for a while. Like I would complain about that! :)

john903
10-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Hello there,
here in wet northwest winters I use Ibex wool bib knickers. The pair I have are 4 years old and holding up very well except for the mesh webbing on the straps is starting to fray. They are a mix of wool and wind block material and lycra behind the knees. The prices very I bought mine from Universal cycles in Portland for $130.00, but I have seen them up $160.00.
If you have never tried the "new" wool clothing it is really worth the money and so comfortable and really does help keep you warm when it is wet.
Have a great day.

Hank Scorpio
10-07-2014, 01:04 PM
I have the Giordana G-shield bibs but they have thermofleece lining so they might be too warm for you.

I also have the two pairs of the Ibex knickers. I have found that the Ibex stuff doesnt hold up that well over time. Both have holes in the straps. I also have the Giro jersey and the Coppi cap which also developed holes pretty quickly. I have other wool stuff from Icebreaker and Rapha that has been used just as much as the Ibex gear with no issues.