PDA

View Full Version : Rancilio Silvia / Rocky Upgrade?

jblande
10-06-2014, 12:40 PM
So I am considering moving from a single boiler machine to a double boiler, more advanced and powerful machine.

Is there a reasonably easy way to sell my current machine and grinder?

Is ebay my best bet?

Is there a marketplace I should have a look at?

Help would be appreciated.

jemoryl
10-06-2014, 08:30 PM
There are the forums at coffeegeek.com and home-barista.com, but I think you need to have a minimum number of posts/time as a member to use the classifieds.

nicrump
10-06-2014, 08:37 PM
if you have the budget, a LaSpaziale mini vivaldi II. double boiler commercial machine with a reservoir. no need for plumbing.

but if you read the other coffee thread going you realize that once you're "over it", save thousands and get a nespresso.

So I am considering moving from a single boiler machine to a double boiler, more advanced and powerful machine.

Is there a reasonably easy way to sell my current machine and grinder?

Is ebay my best bet?

Is there a marketplace I should have a look at?

Help would be appreciated.

texbike
10-06-2014, 08:51 PM
if you have the budget, a LaSpaziale mini vivaldi II. double boiler commercial machine with a reservoir. no need for plumbing.

but if you read the other coffee thread going you realize that once you're "over it", save thousands and get a nespresso.

Yeah, I'm kinda over it as well. Our aeropress and drip maker have left our Rancilio virtually unused for the last year and a half. The results are good enough and a lot less work than the Silvia.

Depending on where you live, Craigslist may be worth a try.

Texbike

William
10-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda over it as well. Our aeropress and drip maker have left our Rancilio virtually unused for the last year and a half. The results are good enough and a lot less work than the Silvia.

Depending on where you live, Craigslist may be worth a try.

Texbike

I'll trade you a set of tan walled tires.;)

William

texbike
10-06-2014, 09:02 PM
I'll trade you a set of tan walled tires.;)

William

Hmmm. So, what brand, model, and size would these tan walled tires be? :cool:

If nothing else the Silvia makes decent counter art.

Texbike

VTCaraco
10-06-2014, 09:02 PM
I picked up a Faema Carisma from ChrisCoffee in Albany after developing a taste for the stuff in trips to Europe. Spent a good bit of coin, but Aeropress and the likes create a different beverage.
For now, I'm digging the morning ritual and really, really liking the drinks. In fact, had a Starbucks in the airport last week and regular drip when out of town and couldn't wait to get back to my big splurge.

YMMV...

And it took an unplanned earning to make me rationalize the investment.

William
10-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Hmmm. So, what brand, model, and size would these tan walled tires be? :cool:

If nothing else the Silvia makes decent counter art.

Texbike

I think they are Grand Sport foldable 25c. If you like a darker wall I can hit them with a sharpie.;)

William

lhuerta
10-06-2014, 11:12 PM
craigslist....if you are near a metro area u will sell it in less than 24 hour (if priced correctly). I just sold a Rocky Rancillio grinder on Craigslist in a few hours Lou

thwart
10-07-2014, 12:20 AM

That's kinda funny. I'm in complete agreement with you, but it's a bit like advising somebody in our primary area of interest: once you're 'over it', buy a Nashbar carbon frame, build it up with 105 and save thousands.

jblande
10-07-2014, 05:27 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am surrounded by Nespresso.

And I am certainly not over it.

To the contrary, Notspresso does nothing for me.

bcgav
10-07-2014, 05:55 AM
I'm in the same situation as the OP. I have a PID'd Rancillio Silvia with some other upgrades that I've done over the years since getting the machine in 2000. Now it's time to upgrade to a Breville BES920XL but I'd like to get a decent amount for my Silvia.

Craigslist is an option but I'm also considering the Coffee Geek Classifieds (http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell) which still looks fairly active.

I wouldn't use a Nespresso if it was given to me for free, so I guess you could say I'm not "over it" as well.

stackie
10-07-2014, 09:03 AM
I used coffee geek to sell my Fiorenzato several years ago. great experience.

I would guess it's like here, though. I had a couple of emails back and forth. I checked out to make sure he was a senior member. And, I called him once.

No problems at all.

Would not take any chances selling on ebay. Too easy for buyer to scam you.

Jon

bcgav
10-07-2014, 09:25 AM
I used coffee geek to sell my Fiorenzato several years ago. great experience.

I would guess it's like here, though. I had a couple of emails back and forth. I checked out to make sure he was a senior member. And, I called him once.

No problems at all.

Would not take any chances selling on ebay. Too easy for buyer to scam you.

Jon

Good to know thanks!