PDA

View Full Version : How much are Speedvagen's

BirkWinn
10-04-2014, 12:06 AM
I've been contemplating maybe buying a SpeedVagen and I would like to hear from anyone that might know the ballpark cost what a Frame, Fork, Stem would be and how long is a wait. Thanks

velotrack
10-04-2014, 12:28 AM
I've been contemplating maybe buying a SpeedVagen and I would like to hear from anyone that might know the ballpark cost what a Frame, Fork, Stem would be and how long is a wait. Thanks

It is not too difficult to search it up. F/F/HS start at 3700, but things like the overt paint scheme bring the price up a few hundred. Upgrades (enve seatmast, carbon seat tube, etc.) are extra as well.

http://www.thevanillaworkshop.com/orders/

Steve in SLO
10-04-2014, 12:29 AM
http://www.thevanillaworkshop.com/speedvagen-about/

As velotrack said, it's all here. Knock your self out.

fogrider
10-04-2014, 12:34 AM
from their website: Frame & fork packages start at $3700.

its my understanding that they build them in batches, depending on how many orders they get, if there are enough orders of...say 56s, they a batch of 56s...
STOCK: Stock frames come in increments of 2cm, from 48 to 62cm. Detailed measurements and angles can be found in the charts below.

SEMI-CUSTOM: When it comes to the semi-custom, we lengthen (or shorten) the head tube to help get the handlebar to the right height and raise (or lower) the top tube to keep things proportional with the headtube length. Both of these will help in giving you the right saddle to bar drop without too many, or too few spacers.

FULL CUSTOM: A full custom Speedvagen is where we can really dial in the proportions for the individual and make a bike that will be perfectly balanced for you. Every measurement, cut and angle is made to fit your exact specifications. A custom Speedvagen includes a fit session here at the Workshop with Sacha.

its my understanding the by building in batches, they can keep the wait time down.

BirkWinn
10-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the help guys I appreciate your responses

Fsonicsmith
10-04-2014, 09:29 PM
My answer having just been through the process is "it all depends". You might get out for as little as $3,750 plus the price of the stem if you can fit a stock frame and go with one of the two no additional cost paint jobs or your frame can cost about $5,200 or so if you need a custom frame and go with one of the more labor intensive paint options. Not sure why you are mentioning the stem-if you want the ENVE stem painted to match-it's $250. ENVE seat post head pained to match (instead of the stock Ritchey alloy head) is an extra $150. As far as time, if you are about to pull the trigger I think you are likely in for a 9 month to 1 year wait unless one of the remaining stock frames fits you. Sacha and Patrick and crew are just finishing up the current run of frames. If you send an email to them, you will get a brochure with current pricing for the various frame and build options within a day or two.

cnighbor1
10-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Are you just picking a current big name in cycling world, Speedvagen's
why not look at some even better builders Kirk Chris Kvale Mooney

sandyrs
10-05-2014, 05:15 AM

Every. Single. Speedvagen thread.

christian
10-05-2014, 06:01 AM
For good reason.

jlwdm
10-05-2014, 08:47 AM

Just one person's opinion.

Jeff

jmeloy
10-05-2014, 09:07 AM
^^^this. Well said jlwdm.

bdawe
10-05-2014, 09:47 AM
If you have to ask.....

bking
10-05-2014, 10:06 AM

I've got two Kirks, friend has a really nice Mooney he just picked up, my Speedvagen plays second fiddle to none of them. If you can, go to Portland to get fitted--best fitting you'll ever have.

enr1co
10-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Curious- havent dabbled into Speedvagens but they look to be of quality and aesthetic wise look very sexy.
Have read only + with builders as Kirk, Chris Kvale, Mooney but what is your qualification of " even better".

csm
10-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Why would anyone want a carbon seat tube on an otherwise all metal machine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pdmtong
10-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Why would anyone want a carbon seat tube on an otherwise all metal machine? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

weight reduction without compromising the steel ride quality

csm
10-05-2014, 12:14 PM
^^imho I think substituting carbon for steel (or ti for that matter) is just crazy.
I'm starting to think of my next bike.... And Vanilla and Kirk are on my short list.
Just need to practice my spiel about how it will be my last road bike, etc.
Hey, it worked for my Legend. ;)

Joachim
10-05-2014, 12:41 PM
^^imho I think substituting carbon for steel (or ti for that matter) is just crazy.
I'm starting to think of my next bike.... And Vanilla and Kirk are on my short list.
Just need to practice my spiel about how it will be my last road bike, etc.
Hey, it worked for my Legend. ;)

You might think so but there are a lot of Ottrott owners incl Ben Serotta that would disagree with you.

csm
10-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Perhaps, but an Ottrot was designed and built around carbon tubes.
I stand by my opinion.

Peter P.
10-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Why would anyone want a carbon seat tube on an otherwise all metal machine?

The carbon seat tube above the top tube will flex a little or provide some shock damping, offering a measure of suspension much like the Trek Domane Iso-Speed Decoupler.

RedRider
10-05-2014, 01:18 PM
The carbon seat tube above the top tube will flex a little or provide some shock damping, offering a measure of suspension much like the Trek Domane Iso-Speed Decoupler.

Speedvagen being compared to a Trek Domane. Oh My! :eek:

krhea
10-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Perhaps, but an Ottrot was designed and built around carbon tubes.
I stand by my opinion.

And you've owned and or ridden exactly how many metal bikes with carbon seat tubes? Just curious as you seem so positive of "your" opinion".
I have both steel as well as ti bikes with carbon seat tubes and they ride wonderfully. I'm very pleased with them as are my ride buddies who ride similar builds.
Because of your comment regarding the Ottrot being "designed and built around carbon tubes", do you really think a builder tosses in a carbon seat tube or any other tube on a whim at the last minute? You really think Serotta is/was the only brand to actually design through a complete frame concept? Wow. Take a look at what Seven does with multi-material tube builds or Firefly or blah blah blah. Broadening ones knowledge base prior to making definitive statements such as yours can be a enlightening thing. Try riding one or having a conversation with a builder who actually creates that type of bike and get the straight scoop as to the pluses/minuses etc and then decide if they work or not and even then, remember, perhaps they just aren't for you but actually are a viable build option for other riders...such as myself.

crankles
10-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Here's why I bought a speedvagen CX over other builders. (I don't own a road vagen so I can't speak to that ).

short version: Sacha spent the time AND the money to fab a cx bike with better geometry and braking than was available at the time. The paint schemes have drifted a bit from the original intent, but I'm not going to complain.

long version: I wrote about it way back when...

http://have-a-snack.blogspot.com/2007/10/speedvagen-part-1-backstory.html

http://have-a-snack.blogspot.com/2007/10/speedvagen-part-2-race-of-truth.html

I dont necessarily get the carbon seat post on the CX bike though myself. I've broken ridley and stevens carbon cross frames already, and I'm far from a clydesdale. CX=no carbon fro me...

csm
10-08-2014, 09:46 PM
And you've owned and or ridden exactly how many metal bikes with carbon seat tubes? Just curious as you seem so positive of "your" opinion".
I have both steel as well as ti bikes with carbon seat tubes and they ride wonderfully. I'm very pleased with them as are my ride buddies who ride similar builds.
Because of your comment regarding the Ottrot being "designed and built around carbon tubes", do you really think a builder tosses in a carbon seat tube or any other tube on a whim at the last minute? You really think Serotta is/was the only brand to actually design through a complete frame concept? Wow. Take a look at what Seven does with multi-material tube builds or Firefly or blah blah blah. Broadening ones knowledge base prior to making definitive statements such as yours can be a enlightening thing. Try riding one or having a conversation with a builder who actually creates that type of bike and get the straight scoop as to the pluses/minuses etc and then decide if they work or not and even then, remember, perhaps they just aren't for you but actually are a viable build option for other riders...such as myself.

I've been fortunate to have ridden a lot of different bikes. As I stated, it was just my opinion. Wow, read into things much?

blood.meridian
10-09-2014, 06:18 AM
I'd like to try one of the carbon seat tubed frames. Wonder about the difference in ride quality (as opposed to steel seat tube on the same frame).

Ryun
10-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Prices are easy to come by and pretty explicit with the Vagens. Pretty much menu style. pick what you want. It can add up when you tick all the boxes but it is like that with any builder in my experience.

Re: the carbon seattube. It lightens the bike a little and is noticable in my butt. Just a more comfort in the seat. Not a lot. The first gen SV had big seat stays and the ride got a bit more comfortable when they switched to the shaped thin ones. Id say the carbon seat tube makes about that much difference.