PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice about Sachs bike on eBay

SlackMan
08-13-2014, 05:53 PM
For the bike at the link below, does anyone know whether it is likely to fit 700x28s? The seller said he thought they would fit, but it sounded like he hasn't actually tried them. Also, any idea on what final value would to guide me if I were to decide to bid? Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Richard-Sachs-bicycle-58-Newvex-Campagnolo-Record-Eurus-road-bike-steel-rare-/271571287878?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Aaron O
08-13-2014, 05:59 PM
I'd shoot an email to e-Richie...he's a helpful chap. My older Sachs will, and I don't THINK his clearances have changed that much...but I wouldn't take this as a definitive answer.

Tires also rarely run totally to size. Which specific tires?

firerescuefin
08-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Ask Richard...he's on here all the time...He'll probably respond to this thread.

SlackMan
08-13-2014, 06:18 PM
I'd shoot an email to e-Richie...he's a helpful chap. My older Sachs will, and I don't THINK his clearances have changed that much...but I wouldn't take this as a definitive answer.

Tires also rarely run totally to size. Which specific tires?

I'd like to shoot for a true 28 like a Roly Poly. I ride Conti 4-seasons now that measure about 26 or so instead of 28.

Aaron O
08-13-2014, 06:30 PM
I'd like to shoot for a true 28 like a Roly Poly. I ride Conti 4-seasons now that measure about 26 or so instead of 28.

Yeah - exactly. I usually run contis too...so my opinion on what fits a 28c is a bit skewed. I THINK my Sachs would fit a roly poly, but it would be tight.

Lionel
08-13-2014, 06:36 PM
depends on which 28 as they are all different sizes in real life. Other potential issue is the record brakes as they have less clearance than shimano.

On my Sachs (with record brakes), 28 ultremo clinchers fit and 27 FMB tubulars do not but would with a different front brake.

Aaron O
08-13-2014, 06:38 PM
depends on which 28 as they are all different sizes in real life. Other potential issue is the record brakes as they have less clearance than shimano.

On my Sachs (with record brakes), 28 ultremo clinchers fit and 27 FMB tubulars do not but would with a different front brake.

I bought a set of those as well (the 27 FMBs). They really do run wide.

jr59
08-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Mines newer than the one posted, I think. Anyway, I have a pego-richie tubed one and mine fits 4 season con tis with room to spare, with chorus brakes

Cat3roadracer
08-13-2014, 06:49 PM
That sure is nice.

Peter P.
08-13-2014, 06:51 PM
For that bike, the brake pads are at mid-slot. Fitting a 28mm tire with comfortable room to spare is doubtful. "Iffy" room, one can only speculate.

If that's a priority to you, I'd pass on it. Find a builder who will build with the brake pads at the bottom of the slot using short reach calipers where you'll be assured to fit a real 28mm tire. My Soulcraft was built that way.

I think the frame and the bike in general are in spectacular condition and if I were bidding I'd be tempted to go as high as $5k. For paying such a "premium" you avoid the long lead times of custom frames and get a ready to roll product. Unless you need some unusual geometry, this would be worth at least one bid.

SlackMan
08-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Thanks, Peter. I think it's probably smart to pass on this one.

Lionel
08-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Thanks, Peter. I think it's probably smart to pass on this one.
if it fits you and given the shape it's in I would definitely go for it. These type of occasions are rare.

Aaron O
08-14-2014, 07:42 AM
if it fits you and given the shape it's in I would definitely go for it. These type of occasions are rare.

+1 - and you might be able to find a brake that gives you more room. I've had good luck with Tektros. Heck - it would look funny, but you could toss on center pulls.

ergott
08-14-2014, 08:28 AM

Funny, I have 28s under my Record brakes no problem. I even had Ultremo 28 clinchers with wide rims under there. Those measured even bigger.

Aaron O
08-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Funny, I have 28s under my Record brakes no problem. I even had Ultremo 28 clinchers with wide rims under there. Those measured even bigger.

The 27 fmb tubulars run wider than any 28c I've seen. I doubt it would fit my record brake.

Ken Robb
08-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Isn't a critical factor in fitting tires inside brake calipers the height of the brake mounting hole in the fork? If the hole is relatively high above the axle the pads will have to be near the bottom of the slots in the brake arms and that will provide more room for fatter tires won't it?

This may account for the different statements as to different experiences fitting various tire sizes with identical brakes. OTOH, what do I know? I'm just a temporarily crippled ex-motorcyclist. :banana:

witcombusa
08-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Isn't a critical factor in fitting tires inside brake calipers the height of the brake mounting hole in the fork? If the hole is relatively high above the axle the pads will have to be near the bottom of the slots in the brake arms and that will provide more room for fatter tires won't it?

This may account for the different statements as to different experiences fitting various tire sizes with identical brakes. OTOH, what do I know? I'm just a temporarily crippled ex-motorcyclist. :banana:

what's this talk of EX motorcyclist? :confused:

Ken Robb
08-14-2014, 12:26 PM
what's this talk of EX motorcyclist? :confused:
See the sticky above. :eek:

beeatnik
08-14-2014, 12:39 PM
When did fitting 28s become a deal breaker for a road bike. Yikes.

SlackMan
08-14-2014, 12:42 PM

When they started covering every road within riding distance of me with chip & seal that makes gravel roads seem smooth!

beeatnik
08-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Gotcha. Out of curiosity is chip seal in Texas worse than other states?

I have buddies who regularly ride the biggest chip seal highway in the area and those guys have never heard of a 25, let alone a 28.

SlackMan
08-14-2014, 01:16 PM
Gotcha. Out of curiosity is chip seal in Texas worse than other states?

I have buddies who regularly ride the biggest chip seal highway in the area and those guys have never heard of a 25, let alone a 28.

It is my understanding that the cost of the "chip" varies based on the size of the chip, with smaller being more expensive. I would say we probably have medium to large chips around where I live, and of course some of my riding routes are older chip and seal where parts have worn off or been pitted. In any case, riding 28s at about 65psi front and 75psi back makes it a much nicer ride. I can ride narrower tires at those pressures, but run much greater risk of pinch flats.

professerr
08-14-2014, 01:18 PM

Since when did road bikes not fit 28s? Seriously, though, I've got two bikes that fit 28s, one quite normal one built in the late 70s or early 80s that not surprisingly clears 28s with ease, and the other a 90's Merckx that will just barely squeeze in a 28. Despite that, in terms of comfort, riding either with wide rims (HEDs) and 25s is close if not better than riding a normal rim with 28s even though the clearance required by the wider tire/wheel package is significantly less.

So if the OP likes the bike, I'd not worry too much about fitting, say, Ultremo 28s in there. Instead, buy the bike and consider getting some HEDs or A23s with Corsa 25s or Veloflex 25s. :)

That's said, I'm not sure of any urgency if the OP cant get the assurance he needs. There seems to be a small, but steady flow of these on ebay -- three right now -- and so many seem to be very lightly used.

SlackMan
08-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Since when did road bikes not fit 28s? Seriously, though, I've got two bikes that fit 28s, one quite normal one built in the late 70s or early 80s that not surprisingly clears 28s with ease, and the other a 90's Merckx that will just barely squeeze in a 28. Despite that, in terms of comfort, riding either with wide rims (HEDs) and 25s is close if not better than riding a normal rim with 28s even though the clearance required by the wider tire/wheel package is significantly less.

So if the OP likes the bike, I'd not worry too much about fitting, say, Ultremo 28s in there. Instead, buy the bike and consider getting some HEDs or A23s with Corsa 25s or Veloflex 25s. :)

That's said, I'm not sure of any urgency if the OP cant get the assurance he needs. There seems to be a small, but steady flow of these on ebay -- three right now -- and so many seem to be very lightly used.

It's a good question about road bikes fitting 28s--is it a when they stopped, or were there always a mix of bikes with some fitting 28s and some not? My only old steel bike is a sport touring geometry so it easily clears 28s. As I understand, Pegorettis will not. And I am sure there are others.

rwsaunders
08-14-2014, 02:56 PM
That's a good looking bike. If it fits and the price is in your comfort zone, I'm sure that other tire characteristics in lieu of being "28's", will help contribute to a nice ride. Go for it.

witcombusa
08-14-2014, 04:11 PM
It's a good question about road bikes fitting 28s--is it a when they stopped, or were there always a mix of bikes with some fitting 28s and some not? My only old steel bike is a sport touring geometry so it easily clears 28s. As I understand, Pegorettis will not. And I am sure there are others.

Yes, of course there were. Many road frames built during the "crit" phase, mid 80's to about 1990, were never designed for much more than a 23mm tire. This was the period when "stage race" geo was old thinking and head angles, BB height, chainstay length and as a result WB went just a little too far! Not all makers went to the extreme that some did but...

And it wasn't just room under the brakes, it was also tire against the ST and massive CS.

Louis
08-14-2014, 10:50 PM
When they started covering every road within riding distance of me with chip & seal that makes gravel roads seem smooth!

That stinks. I'd say that's reason enough to move somewhere else - good roads are at the top of my list of the pleasures in life.

(only semi-kidding - they just resurfaced the main road outside my subdivision and it is so smooooth ;) )