PDA

View Full Version : Carbon clincher wheelset recommendation

sokyroadie
03-23-2014, 07:12 AM
I have pretty much decided to not go the Chinese carbon wheel route (I may still try them sometime) so what do you recommend in a USA assembled moderately priced wheelset. I want Campy 11s, clincher, wide 23mm (min) rims, not over 50 mm deep, open to alloy brake track or full carbon. I would like to stick to approx. $1500.00 budget. The ones I am considering:

November rail 34 - $1245.00 thru today
Boyd 44mm - $1400.00
Reynolds 41 SLG - $1620.00 may find cheaper
Hed Jet 5 express - $1400.00

Any recommendations?
The rails are the front runners for now. They will be used on a Ti Serotta for general riding, no mountains.

Thanks,
Jeff

shovelhd
03-23-2014, 07:17 AM
www.psimet.com

I bought my set second hand. Rob builds wheels for pro teams. Mine have been rock solid. They are my everyday training and pit wheels.

RedRider
03-23-2014, 07:21 AM
The HED Jet is an aluminum rim with carbon fairing so I wouldn't call it a carbon clincher. The others, if I'm correct, are all Chinese made rims that are assembled in the US. What's your objection to Made in China? The construction or assembly?

zap
03-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Bontrager Aeolus D3. Very good rim and DT based hubs. Careful shopping should get you a set for the $ you are looking to spend. Reynolds would be next best. That's about it.

ergott
03-23-2014, 07:30 AM
Boyd and November are both made in Taiwan, not China. They are both use unique molds not shared with the generic molds you see elsewhere.

sokyroadie
03-23-2014, 07:34 AM
The HED Jet is an aluminum rim with carbon fairing so I wouldn't call it a carbon clincher. The others, if I'm correct, are all Chinese made rims that are assembled in the US. What's your objection to Made in China? The construction or assembly?

I think quality. Warranty, service, would be better on USA built. I think the rail rims may be from Taiwan, not sure.

sokyroadie
03-23-2014, 07:37 AM
www.psimet.com

I bought my set second hand. Rob builds wheels for pro teams. Mine have been rock solid. They are my everyday training and pit wheels.

I thought about him, but his site has been down for awhile.

kramnnim
03-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Would you pay a few hundred more for ENVE 3.4's?

Steve K
03-23-2014, 08:24 AM
I've been riding Rail 52s/WH hubs for a couple months with circa 1200 miles on them. Coming from Reynolds DV46c the 52s build a stronger wheel. We've had high winds with guest this winter and the 52s handle better than the DVs. In guest making more subtle adjustments to being pop'd around on the DV.

While you are not in the mtns the heat dissipation with the recommend pads is very good. For me that was part of the criteria to going with other mid range brands or even going Chinese direct.

RedRider
03-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Boyd and November are both made in Taiwan, not China. They are both use unique molds not shared with the generic molds you see elsewhere.

I often have discussions with customers about Made in Asia (grouping all together) vs Made in USA and there are different responses. People will buy on price, opinions of quality, national pride and sometimes these lines are blurry.
As a retailer, I always want to know why someone likes or dislikes a product.
I used the term Chinese as a geographic description and not an opinion of quality.
What is especially confusing to consumers is that most products made in Taiwan are marked Made in Republic of China which is their official name. Rarely do you see Made in Formosa any more...

FlashUNC
03-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Hed.

Charles M
03-23-2014, 10:00 AM
I would call Ergott or wheelbuilder and ask them what they could do first...

This all comes down to brake track / bead holding quality and some rims just flat do not cut it. Both will know what to do.

Getting pissed off locally is better than getting blown off by china / taiwan direct generics and having very little recourse but I would chose a wheel that was a lot less likely to have brake track warping issues to start with...

bewheels
03-23-2014, 10:35 AM
"...not go the Chinese carbon wheel route..."
"...USA assembled..."

I think there is general confusion around "made in USA" versus "assembled in USA".

As others have pointed out most of the rims being considered are not made in the USA. But several of the complete wheelsets are assembled in the USA.

And as others have pointed out...being able to do business with a US based company will help if you have to deal with any issues regardless of where the parts are actually manufactured.

rabella
03-23-2014, 10:42 AM
If you look around and be patient, you can find used Zipp 303 FC clinchers for around $1500. I found a pair from the Pro's Closet on ebay for $1250. I was searching for about a month before I pulled the trigger.

Joachim
03-23-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm a big fan of the 2014 Reynolds Attack and Assaults. I've ridden both and they are solid. Although they were custom built with either WI T11 or CK hubs. No brake pad rub like I've seen and felt with Zipp wheels.

stuckey
03-23-2014, 11:23 AM
I have a set of November Rail52s and I highly recommend them. They ride nice, brake well, and the rim quality is second to none.

Pete Mckeon
03-23-2014, 11:34 AM
good description:banana::banana::banana:

I often have discussions with customers about Made in Asia (grouping all together) vs Made in USA and there are different responses. People will buy on price, opinions of quality, national pride and sometimes these lines are blurry.
As a retailer, I always want to know why someone likes or dislikes a product.
I used the term Chinese as a geographic description and not an opinion of quality.
What is especially confusing to consumers is that most products made in Taiwan are marked Made in Republic of China which is their official name. Rarely do you see Made in Formosa any more...

fa63
03-23-2014, 11:46 AM
I have a pair of older Reynolds 46 rims (with the swirl-lip generator and improved braking track) built up with White Industries T11 hubs, and they have been great. I imagine the newer rims are as good if not better.

crownjewelwl
03-23-2014, 12:10 PM
I have a set of zipp 404 firecrest wheels with campy freehub...I was going to post them for sale soon...pm me is you have any interest!

gavingould
03-23-2014, 02:18 PM
I thought about him, but his site has been down for awhile.

site works fine for me? Rob's a good guy, puts on good events as well as his wheels.

sokyroadie
03-23-2014, 02:21 PM
site works fine for me? Rob's a good guy, puts on good events as well as his wheels.

It is up now, but has been down. I sent him an email.

Jeff

sg8357
03-23-2014, 04:21 PM
I saw this one on Jeopardy

Bicycle tech for $800, Bob.

What is the reason for disc brakes on road bikes ?

answer, Carbon clinchers.

cookietom
03-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Williams , very reasonable price.

aramis
03-23-2014, 04:40 PM

Carbon clinchers look really cool (and I even have a set that I need to sell) but for non-racing I can't justify the awful braking. Around here I can't go on a ride without a good descent.

Maybe somewhere where it's flat.

If I was to get another set, I'd just take the weight penalty for ones with aluminum brake tracks.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2014, 05:41 PM

Clinchers are for nancys.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Carbon clinchers look really cool (and I even have a set that I need to sell) but for non-racing I can't justify the awful braking. Around here I can't go on a ride without a good descent.

Maybe somewhere where it's flat.

If I was to get another set, I'd just take the weight penalty for ones with aluminum brake tracks.

Carbon for the aero-ness? Sure ain't the weight, since carbon clinchers ain't light at all...

Want decent braking? Get a set of nice(horrors) aluminum rim-ed wheels..maybe tubulars..and get light and great braking.

Mark McM
03-24-2014, 09:47 AM

Disc brakes have their own advantages in some situations, but using them only to cancel out the negative effects of braking on carbon clinchers is a zero-sum game The main advantages of carbon rims are better aerodynamics and lower weight. But disc brakes add aero drag and weight, so most of the advantages of carbon rims are cancelled out.

If you want to use disc brakes for their own properties, then carbon rims can mitigate some of the disadvantages of the brakes. But using disc brakes only to make up for the often poor braking of carbon rims can yield zero gains.

civdic
03-24-2014, 03:05 PM
I have a set of Dura Ace C35 and C50's both aluminum brake track. I'm very happy with them. The C50's have a wider profile but not stupidly wide to cause to much break adjustment when switching to the narrower C35 rim.

giverdada
03-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Carbon for the aero-ness? Sure ain't the weight, since carbon clinchers ain't light at all...

Want decent braking? Get a set of nice(horrors) aluminum rim-ed wheels..maybe tubulars..and get light and great braking.

_____

although i'm in the choir of aluminum-clincher riding folks over here (and aluminum tubular on the cx bike), i have to say that the old alloy-rimmed zipp 303 clinchers were damn near perfect for a cool wheelset: alloy braking, clincher fixability (nancy with hands that work for that minus 10 flat fix in 90 seconds, mid 240k ride), deep for 'aero' (though doesn't matter to my slow ass), and, best of all, dampened road vibe with spokes laced to carbon. i would think most of those things could be met by alloy, but not the depth and not the depth with dampening.

hubs would be something i'd pursue with some focus though. i enjoy nice hubs. i like good bearings that don't get contaminated instantly. i like being able to service hubs. i like hubs that have parts that can be bought and installed by the LBS or myself and a beer. i haven't been a huge fan of zipp hubs, but that's totally just me.

jdwertz
03-25-2014, 06:58 AM
I also have some November Rails and love them. Great customer service as well.

sg8357
03-25-2014, 07:08 AM
Clinchers are for nancys.

Many people have an unreasoning of fear glue pots, cone wrenches and cotter pin presses.

Liv2RideHard
03-25-2014, 07:21 AM
I highly recommend Boyd. I train and race on his carbon tubulars...road and CX. Nothing but good things to say about Boyd and his folks in South Carolina. He is very responsive to inquiries and will answer all your questions via email or phone.

I have met him and ridden with him, most recently at NAHBS. A good fella.

About his CX tubs...44mm, wide disc specific rims, 6 bolt, CAMPY and SPACED 135...one of the few on the market to meet all these requirements.

sokyroadie
03-25-2014, 07:29 AM
It looks like the Reynolds Assault SLG's are now the front runner $1395.00 for New w/warranty.
The Rails were not available in Campy without upgrading to WI hubs.

BTW - I robe tubulars for 25+ years and have NO DESIRE to take a step back :rolleyes:

I also have several sets of ALLOY clinchers, even some HANDBUILT.

I WANT a set of wide carbon clinchers, and they are fine for where I normally ride, I seldom have to brake.

Thanks for all the input.

Jeff

ergott
03-25-2014, 09:48 AM
I think the Boyd wheels are a better buy than the Reynolds.

flydhest
03-25-2014, 07:00 PM

The two are very close in price . . . do you have a view between the 44 Boyds and the 52 November Rails?

ergott
03-25-2014, 08:11 PM
The two are very close in price . . . do you have a view between the 44 Boyds and the 52 November Rails?

Not yet. I will be building with Boys rims this year and will test out the rims myself. I've ridden with Boyd and he's real excited about them. I did get to see them up close an personal and they look real nice.

ARL002
03-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Was in contact with Rob for a whole to get a set built, very responsive, I would just email him.

Williams also makes good wheels at that price point as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

makoti
03-31-2014, 05:48 PM
It looks like the Reynolds Assault SLG's are now the front runner $1395.00 for New w/warranty.

I'm interested in these wheels. Where are you finding them for this price? 2014's?

RedRider
03-31-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm interested in these wheels. Where are you finding them for this price? 2014's?

The SLGs are new for 2014 and are usually about $1800. $1395 sounds really cheap... I've seen them on some UK sites for 1300GBP.

makoti
03-31-2014, 09:03 PM
The SLGs are new for 2014 and are usually about $1800. $1395 sounds really cheap... I've seen them on some UK sites for 1300GBP.

Right. SLG didn't get to the Assaults until this year. Forgot that.

WickedWheels
04-01-2014, 12:35 AM
Why carbon clinchers? That should be the first question...

At sub-$1500 there will be compromises... usually either braking performance or strength and durability. Is that a worthwhile trade-off for the weight savings of a carbon brake track? At over $2500 (msrp) those negatives areminimized, but rarely at $1500.

If you want aero at that price I would recommend taking the weight penalty of an alloy braking surface. Shimano RS80-c50 are very good. Giant P-SLR are very under-rated and the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL are time proven. There are certainly a few other option from relatively decent, reputable brands for a modest weight penalty.

If it's not aero that you seek, then a low-profile alloy climbing wheel may not be the worst thing. Going to Shimano again, their C24 series of wheels (Dura-Ace or Ultegra) are very good. So is Campy/Fulcrum. Or custom...

If it was me, if Zipp or Enve were out of the price point I'd skip the carbon braking surface. I think I'd rather ride a superb alloy wheel than a mediocre carbon.