PDA

View Full Version : Riivo shoes

deechee
09-10-2013, 11:15 AM
I know there are number of people here with mixed results with D2 shoes, but has anyone tried Riivo (http://www.riivo.com/)shoes? I could swear I saw a post about them here once but the search didn't find it.

Basically, I am being vain and freely admit that I prefer the look of their shoes over the D2s.

I've ordered custom Rocket 7's in the past (years ago) and those shoes didn't work for me. I wasn't thinking of going through the process again but I'm trying stock shoes now (Bontrager RXL wide, and Shimano TR51) and there's always something that just doesn't work for me. For the last few years, the first generation Shimano tri shoes worked really well for me (TR-01, TR-02, but they're dying.) My left foot is a 8.5 4E, right, 9 2E (I wear asics 9 4E). Anyway, any advice, suggestions are welcome.

ultraman6970
09-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Did not know this brand, looks better than D2 to me, actually way better in the colors and finishing dept than D2, even they look similar to the last bont model.... 1300 bucks?? wow.

RedRider
09-10-2013, 12:49 PM
I met Brad Harper at their NAHBS booth in Denver. He was very knowledgeable and gave me the impression that their process was personal and customer service oriented. The shoes they had on display were of the highest quality and finish but it's all about fit.
I am not a dealer nor have any first hand experience with customer shoes

LO^OK
09-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Too pricey in my view; and this cynical pricing structure simply put me off - basically everything is an "extra", and an excuse for a surcharge. If going for custom Sierra shoes will be my first stop http://www.sierra-shoes.com/. Not only they are more sensibly priced at around 500 euros; Jean-Stéphane Sierra is a highly respected shoemaker with several medalists having competed in his shoes. In appearance they may look a bit plain, but this is often the hallmark of the truly handcrafted products.

quattro
07-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Wondering if anyone has had a recent experience with custom made Riivo cycling shoes.

thanks,
quattro

dekindy
07-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Interested also.

metalheart
07-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Me too .... looks like a key part is getting the tracing of your foot correct.

tiretrax
07-15-2014, 04:35 PM
I'll be in Houston next week, and I am going to call and see if I can drop by (the address listed is a residence).

Every merchant is upcharging these days - what would you like to drink, would you care for an appetizer, we recommend these inserts for your new tennis shoes, etc.

I was always impressed with Rocket 7. Is anyone buying their shoes - last time I heard, they were only custom and around $1500.

07-15-2014, 07:38 PM
We had some riders at our track racing them recently. Yes, the tracing is very important. Harper travels aroundit so it makes sense to connect with him in person or alternatively, find someone who's been through the drill and has it worked out. But that's no different from the recommendation I'd make for any custom or semi-custom shoe. The drillings seem to put your foot a little bit farther forward on the pedal than I ride, so your cleat is slammed forward. The riders hadn't asked for them that way, so it might be how Harper does his shoes. That's a parameter you want to spec for semi-custom shoes anyway, so you should get that exactly where you want it.

I never had any problem with D2's. I race in them and the quality is absolutely first rate. I never was impressed by or liked Rocket 7's, and I didn't like the design on Lusts, so I was happy to see a another custom shoemaker appear with Riivo.

Bottom line, spec them carefully and you won't be disappointed. There's no magic to custom shoes. Just measure twice, cut once.

quattro
07-18-2014, 04:35 PM
There have to me more forum members that ride Riivo custom cycling shoes, please let me know your experience having them made if they have worked out to your satisfaction.

Thanks again,
quattro

BSBD
07-18-2014, 04:42 PM
There have to me more forum members that ride Riivo custom cycling shoes, please let me know your experience having them made if they have worked out to your satisfaction.

Thanks again,
quattro

Were you able to talk to Brad?

quattro
07-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Were you able to talk to Brad?

Yes, had a good conversation with Brad yesterday, he answered all of my questions and I'm trying to decided if I will wait to meet him to make the mold or do it with some help.At this point I wouldn't have them this season so there is no hurry, that is why I'd like to hear from others that have had Brad make does for them , to learn how they are working out, have they found comfort in his shoes that they could not find in stock shoes. The cost is significant, if they don't provide the comfort I'm hoping for I would consider them a very expensive pair of cycling shoes, if they work, it would be money well spent, time will tell.