PDA

View Full Version : Impressions/Opinions on Colnago C59?

Climb01742
09-01-2013, 08:12 PM
For those who've owned or ridden a C59, what did you think? I had a C50 a few years ago and really liked the stable, unflustered composure of its ride. Curious whether the C59 is as good as it is pricey. Thanks in advance.

kramnnim
09-01-2013, 08:29 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. Have a 585 and a 586...

krhea
09-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Somebody please answer this question as I'm on the verge of a C59 purchase myself. I've owned C40/50s and loved them and now I'm jonesing for another piece of lugged Colnago badness between my legs.

C50
09-02-2013, 03:54 PM
I have owned a C40 which I sold to get a C50 and then added a C59 last year. I would describe the evolution of the series this way: everything you like about the C40 got better with the C50 and the C59 improved all those great qualities! Each version got a little more in each category, a little lighter, a little smoother riding, stiffness increased or what I can only describe as a solid feeling but not at the detriment to comfort or responsiveness or feel of the road and of course the price increased as well!! When I bought my C40 it retailed for $3800.00 and was the bench mark for the extreme end of frameset prices (being in the industry I paid less than $3800.00 but being in the industry also means making less money so it was an equivalent investment in terms of money and wandering if the ride was worth the price which was a question QUICKLY answered on the very first ride!!) and now at $5899.99 I look at the C59 as a bargain when comparing it to other lugged carbon frames at the very top of the high performance high quality world. The thought of this sometimes makes me shake my head in disbelief at the prices now but when I am out riding I don't have any questions even for a second on the cost versus enjoyment return. Worth every penny!!

C50
09-02-2013, 03:59 PM
And I will add, I just got back from Eurobike and the return of the Art Decor colors in red, blue, and yellow makes me very happy!! Classic Colnago paint schemes on the very latest framesets makes it a perfect balance between classic Colnago and the latest modern framesets.

krhea
09-02-2013, 04:28 PM
I have owned a C40 which I sold to get a C50 and then added a C59 last year. I would describe the evolution of the series this way: everything you like about the C40 got better with the C50 and the C59 improved all those great qualities! Each version got a little more in each category, a little lighter, a little smoother riding, stiffness increased or what I can only describe as a solid feeling but not at the detriment to comfort or responsiveness or feel of the road and of course the price increased as well!! When I bought my C40 it retailed for $3800.00 and was the bench mark for the extreme end of frameset prices (being in the industry I paid less than $3800.00 but being in the industry also means making less money so it was an equivalent investment in terms of money and wandering if the ride was worth the price which was a question QUICKLY answered on the very first ride!!) and now at $5899.99 I look at the C59 as a bargain when comparing it to other lugged carbon frames at the very top of the high performance high quality world. The thought of this sometimes makes me shake my head in disbelief at the prices now but when I am out riding I don't have any questions even for a second on the cost versus enjoyment return. Worth every penny!!

That's all I needed or wanted to hear. You sir have just "cost me" a chunk of change and I couldn't be more excited. Thanks for the excellent "evolutionary" description of the bikes. Now it's just about picking my color pref and I'm good to go.

kayten
09-02-2013, 06:42 PM
I've had a C50, and then later moved to a C59, one traditional and another compact. I would describe the bike as neutral. It's the Colnago square geometry which I feel makes it a very nice bike to ride. I feel good riding it, especially on long, rolling centuries.
If you have ridden the C50 before, and liked it, then you shouldn't find any fault with the C59.

dd74
09-02-2013, 09:04 PM
How long have you guys owned/ridden your Colnago C-series? I only ask in re. to the frames' longevity.

Fixed
09-02-2013, 09:34 PM
For those unfamiliar with the beautiful c 59
Cheers :)

wallymann
09-02-2013, 09:43 PM
i own a C40 that was ridden by canadian ex-pro Mark Walters, ridden in the 2003 SFGP and Worlds RR and it's still going as if it were new. 1 season of use by a pro has gotta count for a lifetime of riding by a regular guy, plus 9 years after that!

ive only owned a C40-mk3 and C50-mk1, so i cant comment on the C59 but i can comment on the evolution of the breed. i still own and very much like them both but i think the C40 makes a better high-performance all-day-in-the-saddle bike. sure the C50 is stiffer from nose to tail and it's quite obvious with the first pedalstroke or standing sprint, but i never found the C40 lacking in stiffness to begin with. the C50s extra stiffness doesnt make it faster, it just makes it stiffer. the C40 is a perfect balance between stiffness and all-day comfort.

How long have you guys owned/ridden your Colnago C-series? I only ask in re. to the frames' longevity.

dd74
09-02-2013, 09:54 PM
It's interesting how much weight the disc brakes add to the C-59 frame, and how few component and wheel choice a person has when buying a C-59 disc brake-equipped frame, all this according to Wrench Science.

enr1co
09-03-2013, 01:33 PM

I picked up a lightly used C59 last year and love it. All of the reviews and mktg blog of responsiveness, comfort, tracking, etc. are confirmed. Only ride ~ 3K miles/yr these days so expect it to last at least a couple decades.

It's also remedied my bike G.A.S- for now ;)

FlashUNC
09-03-2013, 01:50 PM
They look great in the flesh (saw a blacked out one at one of my local shops), but I have a hard time thinking they're better than anything the folks at Time are cranking out.

dd74
09-03-2013, 01:55 PM
They look great in the flesh (saw a blacked out one at one of my local shops), but I have a hard time thinking they're better than anything the folks at Time are cranking out.
How about a C-59 vs. an also-lugged Parlee?

Climb01742
09-03-2013, 02:16 PM
i wouldn't put this in the better-than category, more in the if-you-like-it category...but a colnago rides with a certain stability, or solidness, or calmness (choose your word) that is part of its hallmark or DNA. other builders have other trademark traits. part of what makes choosing a bike fun...finding the trait that floats yer boat.;) and there's no doubt that time makes great bikes.

dd74
09-03-2013, 02:17 PM
i wouldn't put this in the better-than category, more in the if-you-like-it category...but a colnago rides with a certain stability, or solidness, or calmness (choose your word) that is part of its hallmark or DNA. other builders have other trademark traits. part of what makes choosing a bike fun...finding the trait that floats yer boat.;) and there's no doubt that time makes great bikes.
Hmm...good point. I imagine you're correct. At this point with such high end bikes, maybe comparisons are like splitting hairs down to subjectivity.

FlashUNC
09-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Also gorgeous and also a carbon bike I'd put on the short list.

Gat64
09-03-2013, 09:20 PM
I have had a C50 for about 4 months now. For years I had been riding a Hors Cat so my comments are based on that comparison.

One of the first things I noticed was that I was more willing to get out of the saddle and stay there compared to the Hors Cat. Maybe due to the stiffness? It feels like it's "worth it" - with the Hors, I always felt out of the saddle was not efficient. I was also pleasantly surprised with how comfy the frame was. I thought it was going to ride a bit harsh compared with the Hors, but that was not the case, though, the Hors still wins out on pure, km after km of effortless comfort.

Comments about stability are true as well - smooth as silk at 80kmh downhill - I was amazed. All in all, it feels very pro.

Cheers

enr1co
09-03-2013, 09:39 PM
I feel like this when riding my C59

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/as-Voeckler-and-Colnago-C59-Italia-Yello-Jersey-edition1.jpg

Charles M
09-03-2013, 09:44 PM
I think the 59 rides a little less smooth and a little stiffer in the bottom than the 50. Similar but I honestly liked the ride quality of the 50 better for the smoothness. Mentioned above, but if I wanted a little more stiffness and the same smooth ride and the stability (which can be had by matching geometry) That Z1 (and likely the Zero) will get you there...

bironi
09-03-2013, 10:04 PM
I feel like this when riding my C59

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/as-Voeckler-and-Colnago-C59-Italia-Yello-Jersey-edition1.jpg

Great pic. I like the feeling.

wallymann
09-04-2013, 07:24 AM
looking at geo charts, a Z3 (with 41cm chainstays) looks comparable to a colnago...so I bet they ride similarly.

mgm777
09-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Slight thread drift and hijack:

I have heard that Colnagos, specifically C-40s, C-50s, and C-59s, are designed such that their fit & ride characteristics are optimized with a 120 stem. Is this urban legend, myth, or is this accurate? So, if I normally ride a 55 with a 110 stem, to optimally fit a Colnago, would I ride a 54 with a 120 stem?

Just curious.

sante pollastri
09-04-2013, 01:27 PM

I have heard that Colnagos, specifically C-40s, C-50s, and C-59s, are designed such that their fit & ride characteristics are optimized with a 120 stem. Is this urban legend, myth, or is this accurate? So, if I normally ride a 55 with a 110 stem, to optimally fit a Colnago, would I ride a 54 with a 120 stem?

Just curious.

I don't know,initially I rode my EPs with a 110 stem,but soon I replaced it with a 120 mm,the ST being very long.

wallymann
09-04-2013, 03:11 PM
urban myth. as particular as ernesto is about fit and geometry, I seriously doubt he'd base a 55cm and 65cm frame on the same stem length.

Just curious.

texbike
09-04-2013, 03:13 PM

I haven't ridden a 59 but have had a couple of C40s and C50s. They've all held up very well with no issues at all. The C50 that I currently have has a bit of peeling clear coat around the rear brake cable guides that are on the bottom of the top tube. However, the spots are pretty small and you have to look to find them. That's been the worst cosmetic or structural issue that I've had with any of the C40s/50s.

They're nice, solid riders.

Texbike

downtube
09-06-2013, 09:31 AM
I bought my c40 used and have put about 12,000 miles on it. This is a fantastic bike, no issues and for the record I am a clyde. I love the way it descends, very stable.

scpknees
11-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I have only owned and ridden two carbon bikes, the first being a LOOK 585 and now a Colnago C59. I have to laugh when i read c59 reviews that claim the frame as being comfortable. I suppose if you compare it to other new race models offered today it may be. I'm guessing you might find something similar and still have money left to buy some parts. As far as the 585 goes, that is one that should still be in production.
not as stiff in the bb, but much more comfortable.

2wheelwill
11-03-2013, 12:35 PM
A bit more thread drift - anyone have experience with c40 or c50 versus Calfees? I have a Tetra Pro which I love buy have wondered if a c40 or 50 would ride much differently. Hoping they ride the same so I don't talk myself into another bike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

texbike
11-03-2013, 12:46 PM
A bit more thread drift - anyone have experience with c40 or c50 versus Calfees? I have a Tetra Pro which I love buy have wondered if a c40 or 50 would ride much differently. Hoping they ride the same so I don't talk myself into another bike!
now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Hmmm. I'm wondering the same thing. Except that I have a C40/50 and have been recently paying attention to the Calfees and wondering how they ride. I LOVE the nude finish that they have and like many of the little details on the bikes. It would be hard to beat a C40/50 but the Calfees all seem to receive universal love.

So, yes, does anyone have extensive experience on each that provide a comparison/contrast?

Texbike

krhea
11-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Have owned numerous c40s and 50s, also own a Parlee Z5 and have ridden many miles on Z4s. Have owned the high end Time offerings as well as Look. I've ridden C59s, fallen in love with the bike and have been on the cusp of a purchase for almost 3months now...I just can't decide on the color!!!! Had my mind made up then attended Interbike and was blinded by new color offerings plus the possibility of a custom paint scheme!!! So I'm stuck trying to make a decision. Anyway, here's my 2cents:

Absolutely loved the c40s and will always have one in my stable. Amazingly comfortable all day bike. I've ridden it on days as long as 130miles with 10k+ of climbing as well centurys as flat as the top of my head. Comfort, comfort comfort AND goes forward when you need it to on climbs without hesitation. The addition of the HP stays turned the c40, for me, into a "wunderbike".

First gen c50s were like Colnago Power Extremes, pretty darn stiff and they lost some of the comfort aspects of the c40. Second gen '50s rode much more like the HP C40s with a return to comfort while still riding/feeling stiffer the a c40. Really a nuanced sweet riding bike but it was "wheel&tire pressure dependent". I guess what I'm trying to say is, it seemed to be more sensitive to the wheel/tire pressure combo then other bikes I've ridden.

My Parlee rides like none of Colnago "C" bikes. It feels generally "light" all the time, in all aspects of riding. It's not "better" then the 'Nagos but certainly different. If I were riding a long, flat ride where I had my head down and was pushing the entire ride I'd opt for the C59 over the Parlee. It just feels planted and "good" in the BB when applying pressure on the flats. Again, my opinion. The Parlee is a great all-round bike, probably the best I've owned and I've owned a lot of carbon bikes. It certainly takes the climbing "crown" for me. Every climbing PR I have has been set on the Parlee. It feels really good out of the saddle and is an easy bike for me to toss around due to my climbing style. On flats I feel as though I have to "push" harder to stay at speed then I do on the 59.

I really like lugged carbon bikes. They ride and feel different then other carbon build methods. They most likely will not be as light as other bikes because of the lugs. They always feel "solid" to me, kinda like what a German car door "sounds like" when you push it closed. Almost that overbuilt feeling. Not bad, just, "wow, that's a solid door" kinda thought. So translate that sound into a solid, confident ride feel and that describes the c59 ride to me. As soon as I rode the bike I could feel the "C" lineage and probably more so the 50 then the 40 which makes sense. I'm not expecting the 59 to be as light as my Parlee but I'm looking forward to having a "different" carbon ride when I want it that still inspires confidence. Colnago does an impressive job of "updating" instead of changing their bikes and keeping them current. The early c40s rode similar to Extralights, the 50s rode like Colnago Extremes mixed with some c40 and the 59 rides like the best combo of both the 40 and the 50 while modernizing the build with current design/tech features while not sacrificing performance for comfort or vice versa. If you've ridden a C40 or 50 and liked them you should feel pretty much at home on the 59 in my opinion.

I think the c40s were some of the finest carbon bikes made and even today I think they "out ride" many modern bikes. Will the C59 become a "classic"...only time will tell.

Climb01742
11-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Have owned numerous c40s and 50s, also own a Parlee Z5 and have ridden many miles on Z4s. Have owned the high end Time offerings as well as Look. I've ridden C59s, fallen in love with the bike and have been on the cusp of a purchase for almost 3months now...I just can't decide on the color!!!! Had my mind made up then attended Interbike and was blinded by new color offerings plus the possibility of a custom paint scheme!!! So I'm stuck trying to make a decision. Anyway, here's my 2cents:

Absolutely loved the c40s and will always have one in my stable. Amazingly comfortable all day bike. I've ridden it on days as long as 130miles with 10k+ of climbing as well centurys as flat as the top of my head. Comfort, comfort comfort AND goes forward when you need it to on climbs without hesitation. The addition of the HP stays turned the c40, for me, into a "wunderbike".

First gen c50s were like Colnago Power Extremes, pretty darn stiff and they lost some of the comfort aspects of the c40. Second gen '50s rode much more like the HP C40s with a return to comfort while still riding/feeling stiffer the a c40. Really a nuanced sweet riding bike but it was "wheel&tire pressure dependent". I guess what I'm trying to say is, it seemed to be more sensitive to the wheel/tire pressure combo then other bikes I've ridden.

My Parlee rides like none of Colnago "C" bikes. It feels generally "light" all the time, in all aspects of riding. It's not "better" then the 'Nagos but certainly different. If I were riding a long, flat ride where I had my head down and was pushing the entire ride I'd opt for the C59 over the Parlee. It just feels planted and "good" in the BB when applying pressure on the flats. Again, my opinion. The Parlee is a great all-round bike, probably the best I've owned and I've owned a lot of carbon bikes. It certainly takes the climbing "crown" for me. Every climbing PR I have has been set on the Parlee. It feels really good out of the saddle and is an easy bike for me to toss around due to my climbing style. On flats I feel as though I have to "push" harder to stay at speed then I do on the 59.

I really like lugged carbon bikes. They ride and feel different then other carbon build methods. They most likely will not be as light as other bikes because of the lugs. They always feel "solid" to me, kinda like what a German car door "sounds like" when you push it closed. Almost that overbuilt feeling. Not bad, just, "wow, that's a solid door" kinda thought. So translate that sound into a solid, confident ride feel and that describes the c59 ride to me. As soon as I rode the bike I could feel the "C" lineage and probably more so the 50 then the 40 which makes sense. I'm not expecting the 59 to be as light as my Parlee but I'm looking forward to having a "different" carbon ride when I want it that still inspires confidence. Colnago does an impressive job of "updating" instead of changing their bikes and keeping them current. The early c40s rode similar to Extralights, the 50s rode like Colnago Extremes mixed with some c40 and the 59 rides like the best combo of both the 40 and the 50 while modernizing the build with current design/tech features while not sacrificing performance for comfort or vice versa. If you've ridden a C40 or 50 and liked them you should feel pretty much at home on the 59 in my opinion.

I think the c40s were some of the finest carbon bikes made and even today I think they "out ride" many modern bikes. Will the C59 become a "classic"...only time will tell.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a detailed set of impressions. Hope you can find a color you dig and get that puppy!

christian
11-03-2013, 03:44 PM
I rode my Extreme Power in a 12 hour race last weekend. Wouldn't have wanted to be on any other bike! Except maybe a C59!

Salsa_Lover
11-03-2013, 05:23 PM
A C59 on AD10 was planned to be purchased next spring, but I just got a NOS C40 so I'll wait for next year, there are some rumours about a special C60 for then

texbike
11-03-2013, 06:58 PM

What a great write-up. Thanks Kevin!

Texbike

2wheelwill
11-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Great write-up! But curious how to tell the difference between 1st gen and 2nd gen C50??? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Gat64
11-04-2013, 05:46 AM
The second gen. frames had shorter lugs which reduced some weight as well. I think the changeover happened sometime in 2005 when they changed the carbon they were using.

Great write-up! But curious how to tell the difference between 1st gen and 2nd gen C50??? Thx

Walter
11-04-2013, 05:07 PM

7 years...not a single problem.

thp
11-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I've read the paint can be really soft on Colnagos, especially newer ones. Is this the case?

texbike
11-05-2013, 11:14 AM
I've read the paint can be really soft on Colnagos, especially newer ones. Is this the case?

The paintjobs on the carbon Colnagos I've owned have been pretty tough. That being said, the clear on my C50 is flaking a bit around the cable guides on the bottom of the top tube...

Texbike

christian
11-05-2013, 11:22 AM
The clear on my ExPo in PR00 seems very tough actually. A "friend" dropped mine against an armco barrier while I was changing his tube and it sliiiiiiid down, with the rough armco rubbing the NDS seat stay. The clear got scratched, but protected the carbon.

Idris Icabod
11-05-2013, 11:49 AM
I've had a C50 and a C59. I've always had a thing for Colnago.

soulspinner
11-05-2013, 02:05 PM

Nicely proprtioned, that color is cool:hello:

rando
11-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Did I hear something about a C60? On naming convention alone that interests me.

Probably should have bought a C59 instead of procrastinating. Friend had his Colnago out in the rain yesterday and man did it look good covered in water droplets.

wallymann
11-05-2013, 03:44 PM
if you eyebally the C50 rear triangles Mk1 vs Mk2 you can see that the Mk2 chainstays definitely slimmed down and more sculpted and eye-pleasing. the Mk1 chainstays are straight off of the C40-HP and quite bulky.

and if you have a really early-edition C50 they have a different seat-lug, too. again, basically straight off the C40 with longer lug extensions compared to the commonly seen lightweight C50 seat-lug.

Great write-up! But curious how to tell the difference between 1st gen and 2nd gen C50???

Keith A
11-05-2013, 04:43 PM
if you eyebally the C50 rear triangles Mk1 vs Mk2 you can see that the Mk2 chainstays definitely slimmed down and more sculpted and eye-pleasing. the Mk1 chainstays are straight off of the C40-HP and quite bulky...Do you happen to have a picture of either (or both) of these?

slidey
11-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Never knew that a grey bike could look so dignified! Great build :hello:

krhea
11-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Just back to this thread and the novel I wrote. Thanks to everyone who answered this question in my absence.

wallymann
11-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Do you happen to have a picture of either (or both) of these?

here ya go! you really need to see them side-by-side in person...and then the differences are obvious. basically the Mk-2 HP stays are more rounded in cross section (the Mk1 stays have basically a flat top/bottom surface and...Mk2 are rounded) and slightly slimmer/skinnier in overall size.

http://brown-snout.com/cycling/tech/colnago-c50-chainstays.jpg

Keith A
11-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Walter -- Thanks for the great information. I was pretty sure my C-50 was a later one and it does indeed have the MK2 chainstays.

Avispa
11-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Hmm...good point. I imagine you're correct. At this point with such high end bikes, maybe comparisons are like splitting hairs down to subjectivity.

dd74 is right, no need to say more.

I rode several C59s over a period of two years. Great bikes all around. I must say I even felt as good as my old Serotta MeiVici. But in the end, I sold them all and I am now riding Pinarello Dogma 65.1. Why? It all comes down to geometry and fit. The Pinarello fit me better and I am more efficient and powerful on it. Is it more comfortable than the C59, not 100% because the C59 is still a "traditional" built bike.

If interested, PM me. I have some contacts and can get good discounts on Colnagos from Europe.

Cheers!

..A..