PDA

View Full Version : OT - Pre-Paid wireless plans?

texbike
07-30-2013, 02:03 PM
My wife's cell contract with AT&T is about to expire and we're looking at different options and the pre-paid, no-contract thing keeps getting more press.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone here that is a heavy smartphone user that is on a pre-paid program? What's been your experience? Is the reception, coverage, and speed as good as a contract plan?

She would like to upgrade to a iPhone 4S from her previous contract. It looks like buying a iP4S outright and employing a pre-paid plan would be cheaper than a 2 year contract with AT&T (or similar). The breakeven point seems to be about 10 months on a pre-paid plan (Virgin).

Have any of you guys done this? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Texbike

Lewis Moon
07-30-2013, 02:31 PM
My wife's cell contract with AT&T is about to expire and we're looking at different options and the pre-paid, no-contract thing keeps getting more press.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone here that is a heavy smartphone user that is on a pre-paid program? What's been your experience? Is the reception, coverage, and speed as good as a contract plan?

She would like to upgrade to a iPhone 4S from her previous contract. It looks like buying a iP4S outright and employing a pre-paid plan would be cheaper than a 2 year contract with AT&T (or similar). The breakeven point seems to be about 10 months on a pre-paid plan (Virgin).

Have any of you guys done this? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Texbike

We have a "family plan" through Verizon...and are looking into breaking our contract. The coverage is incredible, but otherwise, the cost is huge and the perks are small. My wife did the math and it looks like we could do three prepaid smart phones and unlimited data packages for less than we pay for Verizon.

Caveat: This is business, which means it will cost a LOT more than you could calculate, or they will tell you, up front. Do your research on line and insist that they tell you EXACTLY how much your bill will be. They'll say that they can't, but thats malarkey. They don't want to.

Gsinill
07-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Might want to check out Straight Talk (http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/phones/).
I was contemplating to switch from AT&T to them myself but I have unlimited data with AT&T grandfathered in which I would lose so I am a little hesitant.

alexstar
07-30-2013, 02:56 PM
I have Boost Mobile and it is great for me. The Android unlimited plan is $55/month. After 6 on-time payments, it drops to $50, after six more, it is $45, and after six more, it is $40 a month. With a non-smartphone, your payment bottoms out at $35/month. This is for unlimited talk, text, and data (although data throttling will occur at some point). Boost uses Sprint's network which has fine coverage. If you don't mind paying full price for the phone up front, prepaid service is the way to go IMO. Even with the cost of the phone I save a substantial amount over a similar plan with a contract carrier.

The downsides:

1. As I mentioned, you pay full retail for the device. This is not good if you like to get a new phone every year or every six months.

2.The data service is not the fastest - although they are rolling out 4G LTE, which is a big improvement, it is not yet available in all areas.

3. They do not offer the latest devices - so if you want the cutting-edge smartphone, you will have to get creative.

4. They are used to dealing with deadbeats, so you will get a million payment reminders every month, and they will cut off your service right away if you miss a payment - though to their credit, they will also turn it back on right away once you've paid.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

tlittlefield
07-30-2013, 03:27 PM
I use Virgin and have for almost the last two years. For $35/mo you get unlimited text/data and 300 minutes of talk, plenty for me.

They use the same network as Sprint and you buy your refill cards at Walmart. Sure you pay more up front for your phone, but in the long run it is a much better deal than a contract.

tuxbailey
07-30-2013, 03:30 PM
I assume she has an AT&T phone. Maybe request AT&T to unlock the phone and use it with T-Mobile's no contract required plans?

carpediemracing
07-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Based on what Tyler said in his book they're good if you're doping.

Other than that we're in a Verizon family plan. It is expensive - smartphone, text type phone, MiFi, limited texts. I used the MiFi somewhat regularly and use it heavily when working races, so that's one thing that I'd have to consider.

This question has perked my interest in the pre-paid thing.

texbike
07-31-2013, 08:57 AM
I assume she has an AT&T phone. Maybe request AT&T to unlock the phone and use it with T-Mobile's no contract required plans?

Yessir. You are correct. However, it's an older phone and she wants to upgrade to a 4S. I know, not the most recent, BUT...that's what she wants.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Anyone else using a pre-paid plan? Especially one that has the unlimited voice and data?

Thanks!

Texbike

tuxbailey
07-31-2013, 09:13 AM
Yessir. You are correct. However, it's an older phone and she wants to upgrade to a 4S. I know, not the most recent, BUT...that's what she wants.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Anyone else using a pre-paid plan? Especially one that has the unlimited voice and data?

Thanks!

Texbike

Regardless, you should still have the phone unlocked. That way the phone can be used when traveling overseas with readily available GSM cards.

Pyramor
07-31-2013, 09:05 PM
I would suggest Page Plus through Kitty Wireless(dealer-great customer service) http://www.kittywireless.com/. They have really good plans and use the Verizon network (best coverage). Only 2 drawbacks: First, TOS says no iphones, although many people apparently use them without problems; Second, Page Plus was just purchased by América Móvil (Carlos Slim). AM has bought up several other resellers and has degraded customer service. Still worth checking out.

ultraman6970
07-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Prepaid is for those users that barely use a cell and barely use data (if they actually need it).... since she is in AT&T, att has 15 cents a minute plans and stuff...

likebikes
07-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Prepaid is for those users that barely use a cell and barely use data (if they actually need it).... since she is in AT&T, att has 15 cents a minute plans and stuff...
uhh. what?

i currently use page plus for cell service.
i've used boost mobile for work cell service, and tmobile prepaid.

howardforums is the place for cell phone everything. there's a whole section on prepaid mvno service options. (mvno= mobile virtual network operator)

jh_on_the_cape
08-01-2013, 07:09 AM
+1 for virginmobileusa.com
Have used it for years. But no iphone with them in the USA.
iphone is so much more $$ with ATT it's just crazy. I could not do it.

I use Virgin and have for almost the last two years. For $35/mo you get unlimited text/data and 300 minutes of talk, plenty for me.

They use the same network as Sprint and you buy your refill cards at Walmart. Sure you pay more up front for your phone, but in the long run it is a much better deal than a contract.

Mikej
08-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Just went through this - ATT has a work discount, brings my bill down to $15 more a month than the prepaid / buy your own phone plan over the 2 years. It is LTE, which is not offered on prepaid. LTE smokes 4g. Also, prepaid in my area really only work in a large city or close to a large city -they say its the same network, but you are purchasing leftover bandwidth, not top tier, so it really is not the same - it will work, but its not the same. Also -Apple is not going to make iphone 4 anymore.

likebikes
08-01-2013, 09:28 AM
+1 for virginmobileusa.com
Have used it for years. But no iphone with them in the USA.

not true, virgin prepaid offers the iphone.
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/iphone

Nooch
08-01-2013, 09:30 AM
now, sprint is the same as verizon, right? (no sim card?) so could I take my verizon iphone over to virginmobile? (by same, I meand cdma network and not gsm?)

tiretrax
08-01-2013, 09:53 AM
now, sprint is the same as verizon, right? (no sim card?) so could I take my verizon iphone over to virginmobile? (by same, I meand cdma network and not gsm?)

It should work.

Tex, where she will use the phone should determine which carrier you use. ATT is upgrading around Austin/SA metro corridor, so GSM network phones should be ok. However, the CDMA works in many more places. I bought a Verizon flip phone for $20 at Best Buy and use it for gravel grinders and camping so I can be assured of a signal (I switched to TMobile last year because it made more sense for 5 phones, but I also have to buy the phones outright - big ouch).

mistermo
08-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Might want to check out Straight Talk (http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/phones/).

This. I've got Verizon service through Straight Talk @ $45/mo. You can bring your own Verizon PDA phone, or iphone for a one time fee of $15. Plan is ultd talk/text/data, although they throttle down your data transfer rate after 2gb or so, which I never reach.

mistermo
08-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Venn diagram needed. Both Verizon and Sprint are CDMA, but that does't make them the same or interchangeable. You'd have to have a phone from one carrier flashed to the other carrier to make it work. But you can't necessarily take a Sprint phone to a Verizon carrier just because they're both CDMA. Plus, you need to make sure the phone is unlocked to take it to Virgin mobile.

As I stated in my above post, I'm on Straight Talks' Verizon service, using a Samsung S2 smartphone that was originally on the Sprint network. I had the phone unlocked, then flashed to Verizon, then registered it with Straight Talk.

weisan
09-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Jilted T-mobile a month ago, were trying to find a prepaid carrier that
1) allows me to continue using my iPhone with a SIM card
2) least amount of money for very limited phone and text usage (250 mins)
3) don't care abut data usage
4) no contract

Initially, started with page plus, which met most of the requirements, except no GSM phone, so can't use my iPhone, even though their monthly plan is cheap, starts at $12.

Really missed my iphone, so continued searching for another carrier, just found one:
Ultra Mobile
http://ultra.me/
$19

This may be the one I am looking for.

likebikes
09-25-2013, 06:41 PM
did you check out tmobile prepaid?

bargainguy
09-25-2013, 07:11 PM
I've had the Virgin Mobile plan for 3 yr. now. Started out with the Samsung Intercept, their first no-contract smartphone, at $25/mo. with the 300 min. / unlimited data plan (actually they throttle you at 2.5G/mo., but with a 3G phone, I wasn't in danger of going there).

Then a couple months ago, my Intercept died, so now I have an LG Optimus F3 ($180 new) on their equivalent 4G plan at $35/mo. Same 300 min., unlimited data. Even on 4G data w/heavy usage, I can't get anywhere near the 2.5G throttle point, so works for me. Same issue as someone else stated here - coverage can be spotty & weird. Sometimes I'll get 4G signal in really remote areas, other times only 3G in heavy metro areas. Go figure.