PDA

View Full Version : neuvation williams

Suntourguy
04-02-2013, 03:25 PM
I know about williams and neuvation wheels are there any other similar companies?
Ken

Louis
04-02-2013, 03:28 PM
I know about williams and neuvation wheels are there any other similar companies?
Ken

Some Forte wheels at Performance look a heck of a lot like Neuvation wheels to me. (At least some have in the past.)

EDS
04-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Ken

Boyd Cycling
Rol Wheels
November Bicycles

Lazer
04-02-2013, 03:59 PM
List of wheels to avoid?

ahumblecycler
04-02-2013, 07:45 PM
List of wheels to avoid?

Zipp comes to mind.

slidey
04-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Hermes Sport (http://hermes-sport.com/), and Hawk Racing (hawk-racing.com) comes to mind.

No personal experience on either, but know friends who have used the former. Seen the latter stocked at a store.

JEMM
04-02-2013, 08:43 PM
whats the weight?

fogrider
04-03-2013, 02:11 AM
soul (http://2013.bikesoul.com/2013-website/)

Steve in SLO
04-03-2013, 09:23 AM
List of wheels to avoid?
I don't think so. Each of these companies have loyal owners. I have several sets of Neuvations and have found them to be reasonably light, tough, nice riding wheels at a good price point, especially when on sale. Great customer service, too.
whats the weight?
All different

BumbleBeeDave
04-03-2013, 09:34 AM
List of wheels to avoid?

Do you have verifiable bad info for any of them?

Only ones I can offer any feedback on are the Neuvations. I have two friends who have them and both had the same issues with hubs/spokes. The company DOES have great customer service and the prices are a bargain, but are you willing to deal with the downtime if you do have a problem? That seems to be the central question with them. My friend's experiences also echo these same issues I've seen anecdotally on the web numerous times.

I'm currently looking at some ZIPP 404 Firecrest but they are indeed VERY pricey. The Boyd 60mm clinchers in particular look to be a bargain at $1450 for deep dish carbon compared to the ZIPP's at $2700 (and also offer some nice low key "ghosted" decals) and make me wonder exactly what I'm getting with the ZIPP's for my extra $1300? Better heat resistance? Better aerodynamics?

Both look to be wide profile rims--23-23.5mm. Are there differences that are really going to do me any good if I don't race? I could buy a heck of a lot of other stuff for that $1300. :eek:

BBD

T.J.
04-03-2013, 09:40 AM
The only ones I have any feedback for are the Boyd's. We have a sponsorship through them and the wheels have been bombproof. Customer service has been stellar

Dude
04-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Revolution Wheelworks (http://www.revolutionwheelworks.com/) - hubs/rims are sourced in Asia (same hubs/rims as most of the companies listed above). Spokes are Sapim all are handbuilt right outside of philadelphia.

Handbuilt, laced and tensioned here in the US of A.

(disclosure: I build for them.)

GregL
04-03-2013, 09:53 AM
My Neuvation experience: mixed. My background: 175 lb. masters racer, tend to be very gentle on equipment. I had a set of R28 Aero 3 wheels that I used primarily for racing. The front wheel was problem-free over three seasons. The rear wheel developed a creaking noise at the end of season 1 and was replaced under warranty. Once it was replaced, it didn't creak, but went out of true often. I eventually sold them to a much lighter person who hasn't had any complaints to date.

I also had a set of the M28 Aero wheels that I liked very much (at first). They were used for training / recreational riding and were reliable and stayed true. After about 3,500 miles, I noticed that all the rear spoke holes were cracking out. Since they were out of warranty by then, it would have cost ~$60 plus shipping to have Neuvation replace the rim. I decided it wasn't worth the $$ since all I would have in the end was a used wheel I didn't trust.

Per many of the recommendations I have seen on this forum, I have ended my experiment with low-cost, factory-built wheels. All my bikes now have hand-built (by me) wheels with Shimano hubs and reputable rims. A few more dollars for the initial investment, but reliable and more cost-effective over time.

- Greg

christian
04-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Are there differences that are really going to do me any good if I don't race?Are carbon tubulars going to do anything at all for you, if you don't race (cat 2 or higher)? I have alloy tubulars on most of my bikes. As near as I can tell, the skinnier guys drop me, and I drop the heavier guys. Wheels don't make much difference on the Sunday group ride.

nm87710
04-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Try Neuvation

Good Luck

gavingould
04-03-2013, 10:07 AM
you'll find people adamantly on both sides of the fence for pretty much any company out there, from the various China-based generic carbon wheelset sellers to the big pro team suppliers.

a lot of the rims and hubs in the smaller company wheelsets all come from just a few OEM sources, so don't be surprised to find various companies selling the same thing under different names, different prices, varying QC.

i've had no problems with my 303 Firecrest tubulars. let me beat on them a few more seasons and i may change my tune, who knows.

Tony
04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
+1 for Neuvation wheels and John Nugent. Nice price/performance/customer service. Rode many premium brand wheels before I stopped racing a few years ago. A industry friend recommended John's wheels. Now when handing over my own jack John's product is top of mind. FWIW I'm 60kg, ride 15K miles per year and probably have 40K miles or so on R28SLs without issue. YMMV but for me they just work day in and day out which is all one can ask. In the end everything on a bike is a consumable product to wear out. Just have not worn out a Neuvation wheel yet...

Good Luck

+1 I've had a front wheel for four years with no problems, still as true as when I first received it.

Tony

BumbleBeeDave
04-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Are carbon tubulars going to do anything at all for you, if you don't race (cat 2 or higher)? I have alloy tubulars on most of my bikes. As near as I can tell, the skinnier guys drop me, and I drop the heavier guys. Wheels don't make much difference on the Sunday group ride.

. . . and they are for my Legend. I have 303's on my LOOK 585 and last summer switched them over to the Legend for a few weeks to replace the Ksyrium ES that were on there. It rode like a completely different bike. Stiffer, more responsive. Felt great!

BBD

shovelhd
04-03-2013, 11:16 AM
I train on handbuilt 50mm carbon clinchers and race on 404 (58mm) tubulars. Even though they are deeper, the 404's are easier for me to handle in a crosswind (145 lbs). They are also about a half pound lighter. I know it's fashionable to bash Zipp around here but for $500 an older pair of 404's is a great value.

Oh yeah, Neuvations. I have an M28 front on my CX/commuter bike. I had an Aksium on it and hit a nasty pothole which trashed it. The M28 was less than $90 shipped to me. It's been fine. No issues. The bike often weighs close to 50 pounds loaded.

cmg
04-03-2013, 12:29 PM
fast forward wheels http://www.ffwdwheels.com/products/wheels/road-carbon-alloy-clincher/ flit wheels, http://www.flitwheels.com/main.html

or you can some local builder build you a set from parts you can get from the BIKEHUBSTORE http://www.bikehubstore.com/ went this route on a set of Stan's alpha 340 rims i had. very affordable. hubs are the same quality as what you'll get from ROL, williams Vuelta, and the like.

BumbleBeeDave
04-03-2013, 07:40 PM
. . . on the Boyds. Be sure to read the comments section.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/01/23/boyd-cycling-revamps-carbon-wheels-for-2013/

BBD