PDA

View Full Version : Bonty Race oV Aksiums

willum44
03-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Putting together a Caad 3 road frame and cannot decide which is the better wheel
The one I do not use on the road will be on a "gravel grinder / cross bike I'm also building.
Looking forward to your opinions.

shovelhd
03-27-2013, 08:43 AM
I can't tell you anything about the Bontrager but Aksiums are kind of the worst of everything, although they are cheap and readily available. They are very heavy and not particularly strong. The flat bladed spokes are OK into a headwind but can be a handful with a crosswind. I don't think there's much aero advantage and plenty of disadvantage. I used them for training and pit wheels for the last two years. I would not recommend them.

Gummee
03-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Neither.

Get some 32/32 (or 28/32) tubulars and some semi-slicks and call it good. I'm running some Tufo Dry 32s on my gravel bike at the moment. Don't ride the nicest, but neither are they wearing very fast.

The wheelset with those tires on it cost me $40 from CL. Hard to beat Hugi hubs and Matrix rims for $40...

M

willum44
03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Neither.

Get some 32/32 (or 28/32) tubulars and some semi-slicks and call it good. I'm running some Tufo Dry 32s on my gravel bike at the moment. Don't ride the nicest, but neither are they wearing very fast.

The wheelset with those tires on it cost me $40 from CL. Hard to beat Hugi hubs and Matrix rims for $40...

M
Great! I much prefer tubulars anyway. I have a number of sets but are all Campag. So where/who is CL to be able to purchase from.
thanks for your help
bill

Gummee
03-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Great! I much prefer tubulars anyway. I have a number of sets but are all Campag. So where/who is CL to be able to purchase from.
thanks for your help
billIf you're not being facetious, CL = Craig's List.

If you are, well... this isn't ADVRider and I'm not in Jo Momma so I'll leave it alone.

M

willum44
03-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks Gummie. was not having a laugh.