PDA

View Full Version : Tire burping on tubeless

I Want Sachs?
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
I have had a few episodes of tire burping on my mountainbike tires with a tubeless set up. These have occurred when I have been running low pressure while taking aggressive turns where there was some tire squirm.

Would having higher pressure prevented these burping episodes?

crownjewelwl
03-24-2013, 01:40 PM
I have had a few episodes of tire burping on my mountainbike tires with a tubeless set up. These have occurred when I have been running low pressure while taking aggressive turns where there was some tire squirm.

a lot of this depends on what tire/rim combo you are using...so it is hard to say without knowing

i had crazy burping problems with enve rims and any schwalbe tire...higher pressure helped marginally, but i still managed to burp em...but mostly happened coming off drops and not cornering

i finally went with WTB tires with an UST bead. haven't burped since. they were a b!tch to get on the rim though. i could get the schwalbe tires on w/o levers.

malcolm
03-24-2013, 03:57 PM
a lot of this depends on what tire/rim combo you are using...so it is hard to say without knowing

i had crazy burping problems with enve rims and any schwalbe tire...higher pressure helped marginally, but i still managed to burp em...but mostly happened coming off drops and not cornering

i finally went with WTB tires with an UST bead. haven't burped since. they were a b!tch to get on the rim though. i could get the schwalbe tires on w/o levers.

Interesting, not the burping but the mounting issue. I've got enve rims and almost couldn't get schwalbe tires on the them but WTB bronsons went on without levers.

BryanE
03-24-2013, 04:13 PM
What do you call low pressure?

that guy
03-24-2013, 04:16 PM
If you need a tighter seal between the tire and rim you can try adding another layer or two of Stan's tape.

floxy1
03-24-2013, 04:18 PM
How tight does the tire fit when you install?

HenryA
03-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Sometimes as the tires age they get a bit stretched out and more prone to burping. A year old tire will burp easier than a brand new one. Burping alone is not too big a problem, but if you burp one flat it can be a pretty big deal. Carry a tube. Ride gently.

that guy
03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Ride gently? What fun is that?!

I Want Sachs?
03-24-2013, 08:07 PM
What do you call low pressure?
Riding with 25 psi and the front tire burped when I leaned hard. I felt the squirm before the burp sound.

93legendti
03-24-2013, 08:44 PM
I only ride tubeless on my road bikes (no mountain bikes in my stable, right now). The only time a front wheel burped, I added a few psi and the issue resolved itself.

that guy
03-24-2013, 10:12 PM
It should not burp at 25 psi. Add some more tape or try different tires. Are your wheels or tires tubeless ready? Converted? UST?

oldpotatoe
03-25-2013, 06:39 AM

Yep, and help to protect your rims as well.

rice rocket
03-25-2013, 06:43 AM
What rims/tires?

FWIW, I'm 160 lbs and run mine at 17 psi front, 20 psi rear. 2.35 Nobby Nics and 2.25 Racing Ralphs on Pacenti's TL28 rims. Never burped a tire, the bead seal is TIGHT.

I Want Sachs?
03-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Running Stan Arch rims with Specialized 2Bliss 2.3 tires. Weigh 185 on bike.

FastVegan
03-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Go tubular, only burping is from the rider.

crownjewelwl
03-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Running Stan Arch rims with Specialized 2Bliss 2.3 tires. Weigh 185 on bike.

just try some other tires...you just need a combo that plays nicely

your looking for a nice tight interface between the tire and rim...

ime, stan's rims play nicely with schwalbe tires

HenryA
03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Riding with 25 psi and the front tire burped when I leaned hard. I felt the squirm before the burp sound.

More air please!

fatallightning
03-25-2013, 08:58 PM
More air please!

Starts to defeat the purpose of tubeless. I run 25 in a tubed tire, max of 20 tubeless.

With Archs, you should be fine. Maybe try two layers of tape instead of one as previously mentioned. How many scoops of sealant you running?

HenryA
03-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Burp flats really defeat the purpose of tubeless.

The OP did state he felt it wallow before it burped.
Wallowing tires are no good and a sure indication of under inflation.
The skinny light rims and big wallowy tires just suck to ride IMO.
Skinny light rims and crisp but not wallowy tires let you ride with confidence and poise.