PDA

View Full Version : OT - Life of Pi 3D - anyone see it?

dd74
02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
I did. I saw it Saturday. Loved it, but be warned it's a rough film. The novel's even rougher, IMO.

What's interesting is at the end of the credits, an announcement suggested the movie employed 14,000 people and took over 600,000 hours to make. Taking into account how many FX people that were listed in the credits, this makes sense.

slidey
02-04-2013, 03:16 PM
You're right, the book was definitely rougher. For once, I'm glad that book != movie.

Fantastic movie, regardless.

tuscanyswe
02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Got to say that the todays movies can achieve amazing effects. Those animals really look like they are in the lifeboat.

Good movie but i had to high expectations i think.

jambee
02-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Great movie! I watched it on a huge screen in 3D and enjoyed it. It's slow in comparison to what one sees in the theaters these days and is visually stunning. I could not get into the book since it pretty much started with something like "I will tell you a story that will make you believe in god" and me, being an atheist that I am, took offense to that and could not continue reading. but this is a story of endurance and survival that's more related to tour of the divide than god.
They also have whales. Whales are always a bonus.

Go see, take the kids, it's fun.

DreaminJohn
02-05-2013, 10:22 AM

Strongly disagree on this one. Maybe over age 12. sure.

Didn't read the book, but really enjoyed the movie.

tuxbailey
02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
read the books, haven't seen the movie. I read that certain interpretation of the book was altered in the movie.

wooly
02-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Didn't see it in 3D but I can only imagine how killer it was. Visually, the standard version was amazing. Didn't read the book, but my wife, who's an avid reader, said that this was the first time the movie was better than the book.

tuscanyswe
02-05-2013, 11:24 AM
I really dont like 3D movies. Just doesent ad anything for me, other than a dull pain in my eyes afterwards.

druptight
02-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Glad to hear multiple reports it's better than the book, means I don't have to wait to see it until after I find time to read it.

slidey
02-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Whoa whoa!!

Just a minute - there definitely need be some clarification on the movie > book point being made here.

The book, for those who've read it and have been able to digest it, is a masterpiece. Those who've seen the movie know Pi's is a tale of two stories - one flamboyant and other-worldly, and the other anything but.

Both the book and the movie are in tandem for the flamboyant story, but when it comes to the reality - I honestly haven't ever read a more shocking/sad/brilliant piece of literature. I've read it, and I can't describe it - you simply have to read it to believe what's in there. And, only if you're brave/disconnected enough will you be able to flip back to the pages to recount various points in the story to check for consistency, and every time you flip back to these pages, the horror of the reality jars you back a bit more. I believe I've understood the book in its resplendent horror, but that's because you have the book in your hands and can't fight the urge to flip back to see for yourself how this can even be possible, surely you think, surely there must be a logical slip-up, surely this "reality" is being exaggerated for effect, and you flip back and realise that its actually being watered down for easy digestion! Thankfully, it is impossible to flip backwards in a movie and hence the full brunt of the story will never hit and make that effect. If you really must know the story, and have the stomach for it, then read the book.

Fair warning: For most people in the US, one of the most shocking pieces of literature they've come across is the Kite runner. Trust me when I tell you that you should stay away from Life of Pi, if you think you can't take more than what kite runner has to offer. To put it bluntly, KR is probably as shocking as a romantic comedy in comparison to Pi's stories.

dd74
02-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Right. The movie is far more tame than the book, (pun intended). In fact, if you're astute enough in how Hollywood does things, you can tell where Hollywood's attached its typical "additions" to make the movie understandable. With the book, character description, scene placement and theme don't need the formulaic Hollywood set up. I think Ang Lee dropped the ball a bit, story wise.

Oh, and yes, I completely agree: no kids unless they are mature enough to see a lot of nature's brutality. I saw parents bringing in wee ones who were less than 10. I have a feeling those parents didn't read the book, either.

rugbysecondrow
02-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Right. The movie is far more tame than the book, (pun intended). In fact, if you're astute enough in how Hollywood does things, you can tell where Hollywood's attached its typical "additions" to make the movie understandable. With the book, character description, scene placement and theme don't need the formulaic Hollywood set up. I think Ang Lee dropped the ball a bit, story wise.

Oh, and yes, I completely agree: no kids unless they are mature enough to see a lot of nature's brutality. I saw parents bringing in wee ones who were less than 10. I have a feeling those parents didn't read the book, either.

I almost took my daughter to see it, she is 6. From the previews it is hard to see that it is not kid friendly.

rugbysecondrow
02-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Great movie! I watched it on a huge screen in 3D and enjoyed it. It's slow in comparison to what one sees in the theaters these days and is visually stunning. I could not get into the book since it pretty much started with something like "I will tell you a story that will make you believe in god" and me, being an atheist that I am, took offense to that and could not continue reading. but this is a story of endurance and survival that's more related to tour of the divide than god.
They also have whales. Whales are always a bonus.

Aren't some of the best books the ones that challenge you and make you think?

dd74
02-05-2013, 01:48 PM
I almost took my daughter to see it, she is 6. From the previews it is hard to see that it is not kid friendly.
Hollywood trying to sell tickets. I'm sure some kids were disturbed after this movie. I know some adults were.

slidey
02-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I understand where you're coming from, and I too was in two minds about this. I agree that the movie is nowhere as jarring as the book can be, but therein lies the conundrum - on the one hand the story is too fantastic to not narrate, and on the other it is too shocking to be unleashed in its entirety! I feel Ang Lee actually did a very good balancing act, and used the inadequacy of the format of a movie to its fullest by lessening the blow the flashbacks could provide, and exploited the technology of the movies to make the fantastic story seem spectacular. But, somehow the sobering effect and introspection into humanity that the readers are thrown into was never quite achieved; unfortunately, I don't think it can be achieved either, at least not until the movie's out on DVD :)

rugbysecondrow
02-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Hollywood trying to sell tickets. I'm sure some kids were disturbed after this movie. I know some adults were.

I figured there was something else there, how else do you fill 2 hours with a boy and a tiger in a boat?

:)

I need to read the book next, it is now on the list.

Bob Ross
02-05-2013, 04:17 PM
For most people in the US, one of the most shocking pieces of literature they've come across is the Kite runner. Trust me when I tell you that you should stay away from Life of Pi, if you think you can't take more than what kite runner has to offer. To put it bluntly, KR is probably as shocking as a romantic comedy in comparison to Pi's stories.

Um...

I read both books (admittedly it's been several years) and I can't for the life of me (ha-ha, see what I did there?) understand what you're talking about. Your description of Life Of Pi makes me think we read two completely different books!

Which is not to suggest that it wasn't a wonderful book. I loved it. My wife loved it. We're both looking forward to seeing the movie.

But "shocking" is the last word that comes to mind when I think about Life Of Pi.

slidey
02-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Well, its up to each one's interpretation obviously, but it did rock me good. One question to you however:

Did you fight off the urge to go through the previous pages, in some detail?

I was compelled to spend quite some time in going through the book once more, almost re-reading it, and the second time round was when the shock set in.

Your description of Life Of Pi makes me think we read two completely different books!

But "shocking" is the last word that comes to mind when I think about Life Of Pi.

mosca
02-05-2013, 07:50 PM
I didn't read the book, but loved the film. Some comments I had read about the book led me to believe the story was extremely preachy, but I felt that the filmmakers did a nice job of examining religious beliefs without leading the viewer to any predetermined conclusions.

The screening I saw featured a talk by Ang Lee afterwards. Apparently there are 23 shots of a real tiger in the film, and the rest are CG. Also, he joked about all the depredations suffered by the lead actor, and how they could get him to do anything since it was his first film and he just assumed it was all normal.

pcxmbfj
02-05-2013, 09:08 PM
I've read "Life of Pi" and "The Kiterunner".

I also saw "Life of Pi".

The movie and book are different and good, great in their own way.

Yet to see if the book is matched by a movie of "The Kiterunner".

slidey
02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419887/

I've heard from a few friends, the movie's a huge letdown. So, knock yourself out :cool:

Yet to see if the book is matched by a movie of "The Kiterunner".

mistermo
02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Both the book and the movie are in tandem for the flamboyant story, but when it comes to the reality - I honestly haven't ever read a more shocking/sad/brilliant piece of literature. I've read it, and I can't describe it - you simply have to read it to believe what's in there.

Well said. Life of Pi is one of my all time favorite books. About half way through I had to check again to see if it was fiction or non. I have NO IDEA how an author can write such a detailed account of being stranded in a lifeboat with a tiger for weeks, without ever having experienced it himself. The detail and thought is astounding.

99% of the time, the movie doesn't live up to the book. In this case, the movie did. And I don't think the movie should deter one from reading the book. The book is just as magical.

Wayne77
02-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Great description - agreed 100%. That said, I'm a vanilla US whiteboy in SLC, Utah. Not all of us need our literature spoon-fed :-) all in good jest... loved Kite Runner and Life of Pi even more. What an amazing book. Then again, Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite authors...loved The Road, and that's a pretty tough read too.

I will say that usually I don't like 3D movies either. Have you seen the 3-D preview for Jurassic Park? what a load of crap. Made a stupid movie look even worse. The 3-D effect makes everything look like one of those kids pop out books. Anyway, the 3D in Life of Pi is very tasteful and well worth it, IMO

Whoa whoa!!

Just a minute - there definitely need be some clarification on the movie > book point being made here.

The book, for those who've read it and have been able to digest it, is a masterpiece. Those who've seen the movie know Pi's is a tale of two stories - one flamboyant and other-worldly, and the other anything but.

Both the book and the movie are in tandem for the flamboyant story, but when it comes to the reality - I honestly haven't ever read a more shocking/sad/brilliant piece of literature. I've read it, and I can't describe it - you simply have to read it to believe what's in there. And, only if you're brave/disconnected enough will you be able to flip back to the pages to recount various points in the story to check for consistency, and every time you flip back to these pages, the horror of the reality jars you back a bit more. I believe I've understood the book in its resplendent horror, but that's because you have the book in your hands and can't fight the urge to flip back to see for yourself how this can even be possible, surely you think, surely there must be a logical slip-up, surely this "reality" is being exaggerated for effect, and you flip back and realise that its actually being watered down for easy digestion! Thankfully, it is impossible to flip backwards in a movie and hence the full brunt of the story will never hit and make that effect. If you really must know the story, and have the stomach for it, then read the book.

Fair warning: For most people in the US, one of the most shocking pieces of literature they've come across is the Kite runner. Trust me when I tell you that you should stay away from Life of Pi, if you think you can't take more than what kite runner has to offer. To put it bluntly, KR is probably as shocking as a romantic comedy in comparison to Pi's stories.

Bob Ross
02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Did you fight off the urge to go through the previous pages, in some detail?

I don't recall even having the urge to go back, much less needing to fight it; I simply "got it" and kept reading.

I suppose it's possible that means that I missed out on experiencing some of Martel's deft skills as an author, but it certainly didn't prevent me from enjoying the book.

Of course now you've got me curious, and I may have to read the book again!

slidey
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Aahh...but, I never meant it as a snub - The fact that Kiterunner holds a soft-spot in the minds of US readers, to me is a mere consequence of geo-political scenarios. Moreover, a few years back when I'd still discuss books with people, a lot of people who I'd recommend LoP as a must-read would claim they had never heard of it, and would ask me to compare it to what they considered their must-read, KR. This led me to the half-assed conclusion that KR is more popular than LoP, at least in the US. Hence, the statistically based fair warning :p

Not all of us need our literature spoon-fed :-) all in good jest... loved Kite Runner and Life of Pi even more.