PDA

View Full Version : Wheelbuilding tips?

DAG
08-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Just looking over the A23 thread, and wondering at a comment.

If there is a difference between two wheels with identical components, what is it, on a mechanical level? How different can two properly tensioned, laterally and radially true wheels be?

And generally, as I go to lace a set for the first time in two years, any tips/reminders?

(Besides go seek out the grizzled pros at an LBS?)

Mark McM
08-06-2012, 02:53 PM

If there is a difference between two wheels with identical components, what is it, on a mechanical level? How different can two properly tensioned, laterally and radially true wheels be?

I don't think we can tell from the comment in the A23 rim thread if the two front wheels in question were made from identical components. Yes, they used the same rim and same number of spokes, but if one wheel used thin spokes and a hub with narrowly spaced flanges, it will have more flex than the same rim built with thick spoke and a hub with widely spaced flanges.

But to answer your question, if two wheels are made with the identical components and identical (proper) tensioning, they should have the same stiffness*

*That's not say that they will be identical in every other way. For example, if one wheel had the spoke lines corrected during building and were properly stress-relieved, and a second did not have these procedures, then the first wheel would be less prone to spoke breakages.

nbrewste
08-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Things to remember:

Spoke prep of some sort.
A tension meter (sort of obvious).
"Flatten" bowed leading spokes at the hub flange prior to tensioning (see: initial spoke adjustment section (http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html))
Stress relieve spokes after tensioning.

559Rando
08-06-2012, 06:01 PM
And generally, as I go to lace a set for the first time in two years, any tips/reminders?

Don't forget the basics. ie to lube the nipples.

Here's a cool wheel building blog I like: http://wheelfanatyk.blogspot.com/ (Wheel Fanatyk)

doode
08-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Just relax and take your time with the build. Not very helpful, sorry. I'm a fan of spok prep but oil is fine too. Make sure the spoke heads are set nicely against the flange. Depending on your hub you can drill the holes for snug fit.

Kontact
08-07-2012, 12:40 AM

Largely, how the spokes were seated and what that does to keep the tension the same as it was set during the build.