PDA

View Full Version : crank brothers egg beaters (fitting)

shinomaster
09-21-2005, 02:30 PM
I just put some of these on my cross bike for racing this fall and I noticed they bother my knees. I think it is because the force required to get out of them is quite strong, and much stronger than the speed plays I had before. I was going to go get a cleat fit but the guy at a shop said you can't do much for these pedals, except for and aft. Does this seem correct? Are Time Attack pedals more easy to get out of? I need to be able to clip back in, but I can't screw up my knees over some pedals. :crap:

Fixed
09-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Bro try turning the cleat around they work both ways but they work in different ways I bet you knew this all ready. I use em on my work bike work great for me. Cheers :beer:

gdw
09-21-2005, 02:47 PM
I second Fixed suggestions. I've used both Crank Bros and Time pedals and the Eggbeaters are easier to get out of.

zap
09-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Check to see if the bottom of your shoes are touching the eggs. How much does it (sole) compress before the cleat engages. The bottom of your shoes should be resting just a tad on the pedal body.

I whittled away the bottoms of my Specialized shoes some when new, but still need to cut away more material to improve clip in speed and rotation. I think there is a shim with the pedal kit that you could try.

Depending on how the cleats are placed on the shoe, release rotation is either 15 out (cleat with 2 circles on right shoe) or 20 degrees.

sevencyclist
09-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Crank Brothers does not allow tension adjustment at all. The only variability is by switching the cleats as suggested above.

As for ATAC, there are three tension settings, but I do not know how tight or loose those setting are compared to the setting of Crank Brothers.

KevinK
09-21-2005, 03:33 PM
The cleat/pedal interface on Egg Beaters and Candy pedals will need a couple of weeks to break in. They seem stiff at first, but soon the release (and entry) will feel butter smooth. At least that is my experience. If you are a one-sided releaser ( I always release my right pedal at stops) you may find that the cleat on your non-release foot will take longer to break in. I agree that you should check to make sure you don't have excessive interference from the soles of your shoes.

Kevin

shinomaster
09-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Ok..I'm Dumb.. I figured the cleats were the same. I had it set for the later release. Will float change with the cleats? Do the springs looses up over time?

zap
09-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Float stays at 6 degrees either way.

Bruce Jacobs
09-21-2005, 06:12 PM
use the shims that came with the cleats. They help. I use them on my road bike.

Fixed
09-21-2005, 06:30 PM
bro like the one dude said in 2 weeks you'll be flyin off em put lube on the pedals good luck on your cross season....... I told my bosses I'd like to try coss the next day they brought in a dress....I am lucky it didn't fit. cheers :beer:

shinomaster
09-21-2005, 07:01 PM
use the shims that came with the cleats. They help. I use them on my road bike.

shims?? For what? :confused:

Frankwurst
09-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Shino,
I Ride eggbeaters on all my bikes and they do seem to loosen up over time but that might be me and not the pedals. Do the cleat thing as fixed recomended,ride the hell out them and I think you'll like'em. Much like I do your taco receipe. :beer:

shinomaster
09-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Shino,
I Ride eggbeaters on all my bikes and they do seem to loosen up over time but that might be me and not the pedals. Do the cleat thing as fixed recomended,ride the hell out them and I think you'll like'em. Much like I do your taco receipe. :beer:

Yay for tacos!! Try that with chicken!! Poach it first...then shread it, and then brown in a hot pan for a few minutes..till the spices cook and the chicken browns. Yum.

Thanks for info too~!!

Frankwurst
09-21-2005, 07:24 PM
When do we get a margaritta receipe? :beer: Like I told a buddy on a recent 7 day tour,"I can't do this on beer alone"

Bruce K
09-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Shino;

I abandoned an early set of Eggbeaters for my cross bike because of release issues. The new ones are supposed to be better.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Use the shims, they help
2. Use the cleats in the lesser float direction, they will release earlier.
3. Ride the heck out of them for a couple of weeks and see if they improve.

Last Resort: LIGHTLY file the "nibs" at the front and back of the cleat to artifically induce wear (this was suggested to me by thye Crank Bros. guys and they even sent me a set they did themselves).

BK

shinomaster
09-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Thank's to Bruce and everyone for all the tips. I was told today that the brass cleats do wear over time and get softer to release. I may also try the file trick. I also put the easy dot cleat on my right foot which seemed to help.
The worst thing is I just caught a cold!!! **** **** **** ****....rats!! I was gonna train hard today but alas...I sat on my ***.