PDA

View Full Version : OT flatscreen tv installation

firerescuefin
07-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Nothing big (47 Inch)

To install...or pay to have installed..that is the question???.:help:

bikerboy337
07-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Iits an easy job...id do it yourself...drywall saw, stud finder and wrench is all that's required. If you can do basic house work, this is easy...i orded my brackets on too, much chapte

R2D2
07-10-2012, 05:58 PM
The only thing I would add is if it is plasma it will be heavy. But LCD seems to be more in favor these days.

woolly
07-10-2012, 06:00 PM
The only thing I would add is if it is plasma it will be heavy. But LCD seems to be more in favor these days.

And the LED is surprisingly light.

bobswire
07-10-2012, 06:07 PM
What biker boy said but make sure you have someone to help you lift the flat screen
after the bracket is installed and wire mold to hide the wiring.

http://i49.tinypic.com/35atyfq.jpg

jds108
07-10-2012, 06:09 PM
And even if it is heavy, you can still do it, just have a second person available to lift the other side when the time comes to get the tv on the mount.

If the mount doesn't come with a way to adjust the level (i.e. left side same height as right side), make sure that as you drill holes in the wall you get them level... Simple stuff.

peanutgallery
07-10-2012, 06:10 PM
maybe an electrician for the outlet, but if you have an outlet between the same studs it is easy to relocate

as far as the mount on the wall, piece of cake

crownjewelwl
07-10-2012, 06:10 PM
You might want an electrician to put the cable and power outlet in the right spots if they aren't there already...the bracket itself is pretty easy...

Also fixed mount or articulating arm? If fixed you're never gonna see behind the TV so it doesn't have to be that clean. If articulating arm you don't want it too sloppy.

Not very complicated but you do want it to look clean. It's like wrenching on a bike...it is really easy to do a mediocre job

kgreene10
07-10-2012, 06:38 PM
What biker boy said but make sure you have someone to help you lift the flat screen
after the bracket is installed and wire mold to hide the wiring.

I have been meaning to do this too -- bought the mount but haven't done the work. Is wire mold the way to go? I was assuming the I would make a hole in the drywall down low (behind the console that holds the DVR etc) and fish the wire out the bottom.

Hank Scorpio
07-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Get a few old work boxes and go fishing! Much cleaner install.

happycampyer
07-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Because the wiring for our tv was a bit complicated (the equipment is in a cabinet on a different wall than the tv, and the room has wood paneling, etc.), we had a professional do the installation. One detail that they had the electrician do that I would recommend is to install a recessed/clock outlet behind the tv (and run cables through the wall as well). That way you can get the tv pretty flush to the wall, and you won't see any cables or cable cover.

bobswire
07-10-2012, 07:27 PM
I have been meaning to do this too -- bought the mount but haven't done the work. Is wire mold the way to go? I was assuming the I would make a hole in the drywall down low (behind the console that holds the DVR etc) and fish the wire out the bottom.

I ran wires in the wall for my brother , I recessed a cabinet into the wall a few feet away from his flat screen then ran the wiring into the wall that exited into the recessed cabinet.
Wire mold is an easy solution and has the benefit of saving repairs later if you decide to move the set.
Me, I have mine sitting on a cabinet but it's only a 39" screen.
http://i47.tinypic.com/hx8xs8.jpg

maxdog
07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
It really depends on your skills Geof. I would think most installations are fairly simple, even adding a new box and outlet to an existing circuit is pretty simple if you know your hot from your neutral, but if you want it to be legal, you would need to hire a licensed electrician to inspect your work, and for one outlet you might as well hire an electrician at that point. I do all my own work, from masonry,plumbing, electric and carpentry through finish work. For me it beats standing over some contractor to make sure he does the job to my standards. All I can really offer, is if you have a question I might be able to help you with, feel free to PM me. - Glenn

luno
07-10-2012, 10:14 PM
if you eat some ogus cake before you start installing the TV, everything should be fine. otherwise i'd let a professional do it.

wallymann
07-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Is wire mold the way to go? I was assuming the I would make a hole in the drywall down low (behind the console that holds the DVR etc) and fish the wire out the bottom.

stick-on wire molding is hack, get your drywall saw out and do it right!

http://brown-snout.com/events/2009_wall-mount-tv/

http://brown-snout.com/events/2009_wall-mount-tv/IMG_0747.JPG

Chance
07-10-2012, 10:54 PM
If house has wood studs it's easy. If metal studs were used care must be taken to support bracket adequately. For metal studs they make special anchors that can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes.

My TV bracket made it easy to install TV by myself. Once bracket was attached to wall and back of TV it's just a matter of lifting and hooking it on. Only difficulty is getting wires hooked up in advance. If you have many wires a second person would come in handy.

For my wall mounted TV ran new power and cable outlets through wall behind TV. Prefer the way TV looks like a picture hanging on wall.