PDA

View Full Version : Question about campy 10 cage interchangability

Honey
03-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Are the cages independent of the upper assembly or are they tied together?
Can I swap a medium length cage for a short cage on rear derailleurs or is cage length factored into the whole operation of the mech? Did I word this poorly, if I did please let me know and I'll try and be more clear. Thanks for the help

oldpotatoe
03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Are the cages independent of the upper assembly or are they tied together?
Can I swap a medium length cage for a short cage on rear derailleurs or is cage length factored into the whole operation of the mech? Did I word this poorly, if I did please let me know and I'll try and be more clear. Thanks for the help

Yes you can swap cages..the body, main body doesn't care. May have some issues with some, depends on year, when some were hooked on with ti bolts, etc.

handsomerob
03-28-2012, 08:50 PM
I actually had a carbon face plate crack on a Chorus 10 speed RD on my wife's bike. I also had a 9 speed Racing-T triple RD crack around the part of the fixing bolt. So, I decided to get creative.

Unfortunately I don't know how to unrivet a rivet to remove the Racing-T face plate... so I got out the old dremel tool and did some selective organ donation.

The two posts that connect the face plate are different diameters so I had to transplant the sleeves those as well... because the Racing-T ones can't unscrew like the Chorus ones.

But, I also took the long cage of the Racing-T and put it on a Daytona RD to run a triple.

This is not a tutorial and I may have left out some stuff as I did this a few months ago... but everything I did works great. :banana:

Mike748
03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Yes but Record/Chorus cages will not interchange with Centaur, or maybe even with eachother. Within a model, short/med/long will interchange.

handsomerob
03-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Yes you can swap cages..the body, main body doesn't care. May have some issues with some, depends on year, when some were hooked on with ti bolts, etc.

I would defer to you and some of the real Campy experts... but I think that interchangeablility on Campy FD's and RD's bits often follows either the Centaur and above... or the Veloce and below.

With the nice bits getting parts that can be unscrewed and the lower end with bolts with C shaped retention rings that latch in place. There are some odd combos that work like I found when I was trying to swap a 28.6mm clamp from a triple FD to a double FD cage.

I think that this really only applies to previous generation stuff... and not new Campy bits.

Honey
03-28-2012, 09:31 PM
will let you know what the end results are