PDA

View Full Version : 4 campy pump head questions

d.vader123
02-03-2012, 11:35 PM
1. What is the difference between these three pump heads?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lecadre/5540543970/

2. I am looking into getting a silca frame pump, but was thinking about getting the metal campy pump head with it. I found a few on ebay, but wasn't sure if they will fit a silca frame pump. I read in some forums how it wasn't able to fit for some people's pump. Is there a way to know whether it will fit a silca frame pump or not?

3. I want the metal pump head, but I heard campy made some plastic ones. Is it obvious from picture whether or not the pump head is metal or plastic?

4. Does the value of these pump heads go up with a those rubber grips? Does color matter?

Sorry for the questions, but was wondering if I could get an answer to them.

Thanks in advance.

choke
02-04-2012, 12:58 AM
1. I've never seen the middle one before. The other two look like normal Campy heads.

2. I've never had a problem fitting one on a Silca. I have 4 or 5 Silcas with them.

3. The plastic one looks similar to the standard Silca head. The metal one has the 'wings' like in the pic you linked.

4. I would think it would add some value. AFAIK you can't get the rubber 'feet' anywhere, though I suppose you could make something else work (my first thought would be a few layers of shrink wrap). The rubber protects the frame so you want something there. All of the ones I've seen are blue.

froze
02-04-2012, 02:05 AM
I own a yellow Silca Impero pump with the Campy head that I bought new in 79, I retired the pump when I found out they were worth money and mine is in excellent condition; so as not to take a chance on breaking it I stored it.

I want to buy another modern one for a different bike so I was looking at the heads my self. They now make a really nice head for the Impero that is better then the Campy head, not as classy looking but better. It's called a 88.1 thumb locking pump head; see: http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/silcframe.html This allows you to lock the head onto the presta valve so you don't have to hold it in place, which for some people can be a real difficult thing to do and pump at the same time.

The two outer ones should work, the middle one I think is for a really old one. As far as feet covering, you could get some shrink tubing, like they use for fastening wire, and simply slide it on and then heat it slightly to get it tight enough to stay on. They also make a liquid rubber in a can, you simply dip the feet in the liquid rubber and pull out and wait for it to dry. Either of this stuff can be found at auto supply places.

Also they still make the old classic Zefal HPXClassic pump that looks just like the old one from the late 70's and early 80's. This pump while heavier then the Silca was a better pump in turns of being very rugged. If you're not careful pumping with a Silca, riders have been known to crack the plastic tube on the pump because they didn't pump the handle smoothly and straight. The Zefal could care less how well you keep the thing stable while pumping. Plus the Zefal could be used as a dog beater. Zefal also makes a new pump that looks kind of like the original HP but it has a hose stored internally making that pump the safest for presta valve stress to pump.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2012, 06:56 AM
1. What is the difference between these three pump heads?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lecadre/5540543970/

2. I am looking into getting a silca frame pump, but was thinking about getting the metal campy pump head with it. I found a few on ebay, but wasn't sure if they will fit a silca frame pump. I read in some forums how it wasn't able to fit for some people's pump. Is there a way to know whether it will fit a silca frame pump or not?

3. I want the metal pump head, but I heard campy made some plastic ones. Is it obvious from picture whether or not the pump head is metal or plastic?

4. Does the value of these pump heads go up with a those rubber grips? Does color matter?

Sorry for the questions, but was wondering if I could get an answer to them.

Thanks in advance.

All 3 metal, the middle with the tab for hooking it on a bike. For a Silca frame pump, it's gotta have a BRASS threaded end to affix the Campagnolo metal heads. Some Silca frame pumps have a threaded plastic(white) end for the Silca plastic heads. All the little rubber sox rotted away. get some of that plastic in a can, covering stuff.

02-04-2012, 10:21 AM
The center one has a grub screw so the head can be screwed into a round-shaft aluminum pump. After screwing it in, you set the grub screw so it wouldn't rotate off.

The outside two appear identical. Note that all of them lack the blue (and later white) rubber tips. They cracked easily and are pretty pricey to find. If needed, you can use the vinyl solution made for dipping tool handles in and build up two or three coats. There's also a large flat rubber washer between the pump head and the pump.

Generally the chroming on these was atrocious, and when the inside rubber seal dried out, they were hard to fit and remove on the valve. Honestly, there are better pump heads out there. But for tradition and style, these are still tops.

The square profile you can see on the top of the left and right ones was designed to fit the square hole on the metal sleeve of a Silca plastic pump. I've never seen another pump to adopt that same cutout for this pump head.

No reason you can't use one of these. On a period or period-style bike, they are beautiful. The grub version has very little screw travel, by the way, and was made for one particular alloy pump; it isn't worth trying to use it on any modern pump (which are typically fatter and will hit the screw mount anyway).

Louis
02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Now this is the the sort of attention to detail that you love to see.

For folks who are into a particular subject it's getting the small stuff right that makes you feel good. For the folks who aren't into it, all they can do is shake their heads in wonder.

Good luck finding what you need. The "rubber in a can" stuff works, but all the cans I've seen are way, way, way more than what you'd need for the feet, and of course, like patch glue, it dries out once you've opened it. I know they make blue (which is what I have) but you'd think that they also make black. I'm not sure.

d.vader123
02-04-2012, 05:39 PM
For a Silca frame pump, it's gotta have a BRASS threaded end to affix the Campagnolo metal heads. Some Silca frame pumps have a threaded plastic(white) end for the Silca plastic heads.I am wondering if there is a way to tell if I have the brass threads on the silca pump if I am planning to buy the frame pump online. It's not like they show pictures of the thread. Is there another distinguishable feature on the frame pump that will allow me to know whether it's the brass threaded or the plastic threaded version?

Thanks again to all who replied. Very helpful indeed.

froze
02-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Now this The "rubber in a can" stuff works, but all the cans I've seen are way, way, way more than what you'd need for the feet, and of course, like patch glue, it dries out once you've opened it.

I have a small can of red rubber liquid I've had for about 5 years, it has a screw down lid. Because of this post I had to find out if the stuff was still any good, so I removed the lid off the pint can which was stuck on so I to use a adjustable pair of large pliers to get it off. Once it was off the red liquid rubber was fine. So I put the lid back on and tightened it down. It actually says Liquid Tape on the container, it's used for electrical stuff but will work fine for the application the poster wanted it for.

Louis
02-04-2012, 10:36 PM
I have a small can of red rubber liquid I've had for about 5 years, it has a screw down lid.

I think the screw-down lid saved you. Mine has a snap-on lid that I assume won't do a very good job of sealing once the metal pull-top seal is gone. (I haven't gotten around to doing the job I bought it for - story of my life.)

I have this problem with caulk all the time. I buy a big tube, use 10% of it, then try to seal it as best as possible. One year later, I can barely get the clean-out wire down the nozzle.

froze
02-05-2012, 12:47 AM
I have this problem with caulk all the time. I buy a big tube, use 10% of it, then try to seal it as best as possible. One year later, I can barely get the clean-out wire down the nozzle.

I hate the way caulking stores...you can't! I've even tried storing them in zip lock bags and that failed. So if possible I buy the smallest tube of caulk I need for the job. I still store it just in case I need it before it dries up. But it is frustrating especially to tightwad like myself.

oldpotatoe
02-05-2012, 06:39 AM
I am wondering if there is a way to tell if I have the brass threads on the silca pump if I am planning to buy the frame pump online. It's not like they show pictures of the thread. Is there another distinguishable feature on the frame pump that will allow me to know whether it's the brass threaded or the plastic threaded version?

Thanks again to all who replied. Very helpful indeed.

Unfortunately no. Gotta take the head off and look. White plastic or brass.

Hindmost
02-05-2012, 11:19 AM
As for those little rubber gubbins on the "feet" of the pump head, at the hardware store I found black vinyl caps used to cover exposed bolt shafts. They are not original but they work great, cost 59 cents.

MRB
02-05-2012, 01:16 PM
As for the tips... I bought some metal campfire marshmallow sticks / hot dog roasting sticks at WalMart for my kids, and the protective caps that came with the sticks fit perfect on Campy pump heads. They are white not blue. Look around, be creative, you can find something.

dvs cycles
02-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I replaced all of mine with vacuum caps from an auto parts store. Black and goes with my bikes better. :beer: