Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Small ring

OT: Pizza on the Weber kettle

I am very tempted to try something like this:
http://www.kettlepizza.com/

They make a few items and combined with this:
http://bakingsteel.com/

It seems that I may be able to get the Weber hot enough to make a really good pizza in a flash.

This page seems to lay it out:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...zza-setup.html

I know it's a bit of $$$ for the whole shebang, but there is nothing I like better than a good pizza, and they are impossible to make at home with a conventional oven.

Anyone tried these, or have other ideas?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Classics Fan

I haven't tried it before, but am looking forward to hearing how it goes for you!

PS. Don't put the basil on the pizza before it goes into the grill (as is shown in one of the pics). Put the fresh basil on after it comes out.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 PM

Other Ideas Dept.

I seem to remember Car and Driver doing "manifold recipes", where they cooked something on the engine while beating the crap out of some loaned vehicle. It would be a real challenge to do a pizza that way. I'm thinking twin turbos with an elaborate bit of sheet metal fabrication around them.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 PM

Just pick up a Pizza Stone at your local BB&B
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM

I know someone who makes really nice pizzas on a Weber gas grill. He has some sort of flat ceramic stone. He gets it as hot as possible before putting the pie on. But that works very well. Does not take long.

This steel plate would appear to be along the same lines with the same idea. So I think it would work.

Might take a look at these. Don't know if this is the same as my friend has, but looks similar to the Weber stone.

http://www.grillstuff.com/weber-pizz...FUUw4AodGxsABw

http://www.target.com/p/chefmate-piz...i_sku=13770560
Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Descent fitness

Oliver,
You may be remembering Road and Track, who did a writeup on exhaust manifold meatloaf back in the 70s. It was apparently edible but not worth repeating.
Here's a website:
http://www.roadroast.com/how.php
Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Small ring

The thing with just using a stone, is they don't get any hotter than the fire. Using the attachment that raises the kettle lid, and the firebox shown, and then using the steel plate to direct heat back down, you can get over 700*F.

I likely won't try it until June, when I return to MI. I can get good pizza on the cheap in PHX. Not so much in MI.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Just pick up a Pizza Stone at your local BB&B
+1...I use a stone, Trader Joe's pizza crusts and ingredients from the local Italian market with my Weber charcoal grille...works like a charm and the pizzas are done in about 10-15 minutes. Use plenty of corn meal on the stone to ensure that the crust doesn't stick. Other than that, pretty simple stuff and you can customize each pizza to meet the needs of your guests as needed.

Last edited by rwsaunders; 12-30-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 PM

Damn, now I'm hungry
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Small ring

RW, those look great, but I'm looking for a nice thin crust like is shown on the link:

Paper thin crust and under 3 minutes bake time. That's what I'm talking about! A real Neapolitan pizza at home. The Weber doesn't get that hot without modifications.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 PM

Get a Big Green Egg!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 PM

X2 !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Get a Big Green Egg!

Thatīs what I use, plus a big thick stone that I made locally. 600 degrees and pizza in under 3 minutes
Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 PM

Different than, but we do them direct on the grill (no stone, no pan) on our Weber gas grill.

Let it get hot: 550+ is no problem, but give it some time for the grates to get there too.

Toss / stretch dough, toss it on the grill and close the lid.

3 minutes on, pull it out, add toppings to the grilled side. Back on the grill for a couple of minutes to get a nice bake on the other side and melt cheese.

It won't give you that paper-thin crust, but it's still a thin crust and full of grilled goodness (we run a smoke box along with.) With the better heat and flavor of good lump charcoal, there's a lot of goodness here.

And no, the dough doesn't 'leak'. it does to make it a tiny bit stiffer than you otherwise might, but only a little. More about stickiness than sagginess.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Dutch Oven

re: cooking on the car - http://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Desti.../dp/1416596232

I have done pizza on a stone on my gas weber. It turns out nice. My only reservation about doing it on charcoal is that you would need to use a lot of charcoal to get the heat right. A little spendy unless you are going to cycle a bunch of pies at one time. Make sure to put a lot of corn meal in your spatula (or more correctly "peel") before you put your uncooked dough on to it or else you will have some difficulty in sliding the uncooked pie on to the stone.

Count on a little trial and error getting the heat/cook time right. It is all a little imperfect.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
RW, those look great, but I'm looking for a nice thin crust like is shown on the link:

Paper thin crust and under 3 minutes bake time. That's what I'm talking about! A real Neapolitan pizza at home. The Weber doesn't get that hot without modifications.
I think you're correct that the Neapolitan would be pushing it on the Weber without the Kettle Pizza insert, as the temps get to about 550. I am hungry now too, and thirsting for a brew...