The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 PM
cmbicycles cmbicycles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 593
Shimano Shifter Repair

I have a pile of broken shimano shifters, mostly 9spd vintage. Most upshift fine, but don't downshift w/o having to hold or lightly push the other lever. Anyone have any luck repairing these?
I have degunked and relubed them. I disassembled a couple in hopes of finding something obvious, but it seems not so obvious what would cause it other than weakening spring tension. I enjoy tinkering with this stuff for fun,which is a totally different discussion altogether. I am wired that way... or wierd that way, depending on how you arrange the letters. But any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 PM
apeescape apeescape is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 111
I've been working in shops for 10 years, and I don't think I've ever since a Shimano shifter successfully dissassembled and reassembled. Pretty sure they are designed to never be serviced.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 PM
cat6 cat6 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 960
On August 20, 1979, Terrell made his pitching debut for the Royals in the ninth inning against the New York Yankees at Royals Stadium, and retired the Yankees on three pitches; the Yankees were ahead 16–4 at the time and Terrell hurled on an emergency basis

Last edited by cat6; 08-26-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 PM
peanutgallery peanutgallery is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 357
don't tell Jim McVey
http://john-s-allen.com/blog/?p=333
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sti-repair.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeescape View Post
I've been working in shops for 10 years, and I don't think I've ever since a Shimano shifter successfully dissassembled and reassembled. Pretty sure they are designed to never be serviced.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 PM
eddief eddief is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Berkeley
Posts: 5,854
i still have 9 speed Shimano on my 3 road bikes

with the exception of new Tiagra 9 shifters, the market is pretty much scoured to zero. it seems rear shifters are the ones that fritz the most. finding new or used ones is just about impossible. still see a few on ebay for pretty high prices.

minor hoarders pile in the parts drawer.
__________________
Spec. Roubaix, Carver Ti, Curtlo Steel, New Albion Privateer
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 PM
bfd bfd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I have a pile of broken shimano shifters, mostly 9spd vintage. Most upshift fine, but don't downshift w/o having to hold or lightly push the other lever. Anyone have any luck repairing these?
I have degunked and relubed them. I disassembled a couple in hopes of finding something obvious, but it seems not so obvious what would cause it other than weakening spring tension. I enjoy tinkering with this stuff for fun,which is a totally different discussion altogether. I am wired that way... or wierd that way, depending on how you arrange the letters. But any help would be appreciated.
Here's a link to a guy who disassemble and reassemble both DA 9 and Ultegra 9 STI levers:

http://www.norvil.net/pedal/service/...osti/index.php

Another problem is finding spare parts. Hopefully, you'll have enough good stuff in your pile. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Peter B Peter B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sierra Foothills
Posts: 1,670
These links get you complete STI disassembly:

http://www.norvil.net/pedal/service/...ti/removal.php

http://www.norvil.net/pedal/service/...9sti/strip.php

This one gets you reassembly:

http://www.nitrodyno.com/Ultegra-STI/index.html

The problem is finding appropriate spares. Cannibalized levers are the only choice, and it may be a crap shoot as to what you're getting for parts unless it was your lever and you know the history.

Campy does it right in this respect. I just overhauled a pair of Record levers w/ new g springs and carriers in under an hour and they shift like new. I'll do it again in 8,000 miles or so and they be good as new for another cycle. Cost was <$20.

Last edited by Peter B; 05-16-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 PM
apeescape apeescape is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 111
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post

"Jim does not work on 9-speed levers, or on mountain bike levers or Sora levers."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 PM
apeescape apeescape is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
These links get you complete STI disassembly:

http://www.norvil.net/pedal/service/...ti/removal.php

http://www.norvil.net/pedal/service/...9sti/strip.php

This one gets you reassembly:

http://www.nitrodyno.com/Ultegra-STI/index.html

The problem is finding appropriate spares. Cannibalized levers are the only choice, and it may be a crap shoot as to what you're getting for parts unless it was your lever and you know the history.

Campy does it right in this respect. I just overhauled a pair of Record levers w/ new g springs and carriers in under an hour and they shift like new. I'll do it again in 8,000 miles or so and they be good as new for another cycle. Cost was <$20.
Those links are awesome! Gonna have to try that on my 7700's if they ever fail! Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 AM
cmbicycles cmbicycles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 593
Thanks for the links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Campy does it right in this respect. I just overhauled a pair of Record levers w/ new g springs and carriers in under an hour and they shift like new. I'll do it again in 8,000 miles or so and they be good as new for another cycle. Cost was <$20.
Thanks everyone for all the links. Campy does do it right, I have record on my main ride (haven't had to overhaul shifters yet), and a franken-setup on my back up bike. Shimano has always been a pain to try to fix... or get parts. I have literally a pile of 6-8 shifters to choose from for parts so maybe I'll get a working pair out of them, though Shimano carefully crafted each shifter to have non-compatible parts with others. They are close, but just different enough to make cross compatability of parts impossible. So

I think first I need to get a Tig welder and milling machine to make this project a little more cost effective and fab my own parts.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Bob Ross's Avatar
Bob Ross Bob Ross is offline
Registered (ab)User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,472
subscribed
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM
PaulE's Avatar
PaulE PaulE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: At Home
Posts: 1,229
Business Opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I think first I need to get a Tig welder and milling machine to make this project a little more cost effective and fab my own parts.
Someone should find a NOS set of 9 Speed Dura Ace and Ultegra levers, disassemble them and find a company to mass produce the internal parts that wear out, then partner with the Norvil guy and start a rebuilding business.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 PM
cmbicycles cmbicycles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 593
parts all different

I have two 7700 R levers apart at the moment, one flight deck, the other not... guess whether the parts are compatible. One has a cracked plastic ring preventing a spring from properly returning, the other had a lever that didn't shift unless the main lever was held, so I thought I would poach parts to make one good shifter.

I ended up drilling a second hole to tighten up the main lever return spring and the action has greatly improved... when I get around to putting it on a bike I will see if it holds up. I hope this doesn't void my warranty. When I get a plastic welder I will see what I can do with the other lever.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 AM
GuyGadois's Avatar
GuyGadois GuyGadois is offline
Never-nude
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SLO
Posts: 2,089
I've had lots of luck taking apart Shimano shifters. I've had no such luck putting them together again. Taking them apart is like opening a jack-in-the-box.

GG
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 AM
oldpotatoe's Avatar
oldpotatoe oldpotatoe is online now
In the trenches
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 13,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Someone should find a NOS set of 9 Speed Dura Ace and Ultegra levers, disassemble them and find a company to mass produce the internal parts that wear out, then partner with the Norvil guy and start a rebuilding business.
Really? 9s left the shimano lineup(Da/Ultegra) 8 years ago....doubt any company would see any $ in 'mass producing' any internal parts for 9s. 'Maybe' 10s but those are more durable, IMHO.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.