Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2011, 08:01 AM

Merlin Extralight Info ?

Re posting this from a post I put in the Classifieds hoping someone can help..

I am in the hunt for a Merlin XL but can anyone tell me which years they had the press fit BB's and when they went to threaded.. In fact does anyone know if there is an online history DB on Merlins.. I have googled tons but can't find a definitive page...
Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 AM

I don't think there is any Merlin information still on the web. ABG deleted all of it last year.

The XL was a late model, so it only had the pressed BB for a year or two. I think that ended in '93, but can't be sure.

Tom Kellogg of Spectrum would know, and the people at Seven might also know. Phil Wood makes spindles for those frames, so they might also have that knowledge. But really, all you have to do is ask the question before you buy - it is fairly obvious.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 AM

I don't know the answer to your question, but while you are searching, you may wish to search for Spectrum Titanium as well as Merlin XL. The Spectrums were made by Merlin. I don't know whether all Spectrums were Extralights or not. Spectrum took the frames from Merlin, smoothed the welds and may have modified the cable routing to include through the toptube cable routing. I've owned several Spectrum Ti frames. But, the ones I owned had the pressed bottom brackets, which many people scoff at. You are limited to square hole cranksets, but I've found no other cons. Some people might think that finding replacement bottom brackets is a problem, but I didn't find that to be the case. I used both Suntour and Phil Wood bottom brackets during the time I owned the frames.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:27 AM

BBs

Knowing that Phil Wood has brackets.. puts ones mind at ease..

I will look into Spectrum Ti too.. Thanks..
Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBROOKLYN
Knowing that Phil Wood has brackets.. puts ones mind at ease..

I will look into Spectrum Ti too.. Thanks..
Phill Wood has spindles. The rest of the BB is just a standard cartridge bearing set and either an internal sleave or external circlips. The tools are long gone, but many people have done it with homemade stuff.

Rob Vandemark designed the XL with Kellogg's road geometry. Vandemark started and still runs Seven, so that's another line I'd consider. Seven is back to building Spectrum's frames again.

I found an ad from 1992 that shows the pressed in BB, but that was probably the last year of those. There were lots of XLs built between 1993 and 2000 when the company was sold to ABG, so there should be a fair number to choose from. I have a '96 XL - my pride and joy.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Administrator

i'm glad you started this thread, I'm interested in more info about the Merlins of yesteryear as well. I've got an older "Odyssey" that i know little to nothing about. i know these things about my merlin

1) its my favorite bike
2) it has TK geometry, indicated by the sticker on the chainstay
3) threaded bb

i would like to know more, maybe what tubeset was used.

Merlin's rock.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:51 AM

This might be useful

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...n+grease+guard
Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Old Catalogue

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekata...in/merlin94.pdf
Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Administrator

bad link...
Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 AM

Sorry try this

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekatal...n/merlin94.pdf
Old 12-15-2011, 09:55 AM

This is what I have in the Used Bike Buyers Guide. I stopped adding models in 1997. Not all inclusive and doesn't have any MTB info.

MERLIN: See Litespeed for current address: Previous addresses include: Merlin Metalworks, 40 Smith Place, Cambridge MA 02138 and 285 Washington Street, Somerville MA 02143. Founded by Mike Augspurger in 1986. Tom Kellogg used as designer and consultant. Also build Spectrum titanium frames, but they are finished by Spectrum. Titanium 3/2.5. Aluminum prism fork. Sold to Litespeed. Now owned by American Bicycle Group.
Models:
Road Racing 89-96 Titanium
Extra Light 92-96 Titanium
RSR 96-97 Titanium
Old 12-15-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
i'm glad you started this thread, I'm interested in more info about the Merlins of yesteryear as well. I've got an older "Odyssey" that i know little to nothing about. i know these things about my merlin

1) its my favorite bike
2) it has TK geometry, indicated by the sticker on the chainstay
3) threaded bb

i would like to know more, maybe what tubeset was used.

Merlin's rock.
I had an Odyssey also but sold it to buy a CDA then regretted not having a Ti bike so I then sold the CDA to buy a Seven Axiom, great bike but too large so I sold it and ended up with a Merlin EL, couldn't be happier.
I could find very little info on the Odyssey when the Merlin site was still functioning.
Great riding frame, very little if any difference in feel than the EL other than weight.
My Odyssey.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM

I remember reading something once about the Odyssey by I think TK. He said it was designed to ride a little different than the standard Merlin road or XL. But I can't remember if it was supposed to be stiffer or softer. It was a more basic model, but still quite expensive even by today's standards.

Any Mass. Merlin is awesome. And the later ones were pretty nice, too.

If the XL was first produced in '92, there are only going to be a handful of them out there with the press in BB.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 PM

Extralight

I have a 55 Extralight that I purchased new in 2001 from Colorado Cyclist when they sold Merlin frames. To this day the frame looks as new, a beautiful ride.

What is interesting is the head tube. I have an integrated headset, but the head tube is machined, not the hour glass shape that Merlin had during their integrated head tube era.

I will post a picture this evening. I would love to know more about it.

Thanks, Dave
Old 12-15-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer
I have a 55 Extralight that I purchased new in 2001 from Colorado Cyclist when they sold Merlin frames. To this day the frame looks as new, a beautiful ride.

What is interesting is the head tube. I have an integrated headset, but the head tube is machined, not the hour glass shape that Merlin had during their integrated head tube era.

I will post a picture this evening. I would love to know more about it.

Thanks, Dave
Thanks, that one piece CNC'd HT was my design; I am glad you like it. It is superior to the second generation design in every way. We produced that head tube for just a short period of time. It was made from stock that we had lying around the ABG factory. The HT was very well received and a big success (imo).

Unfortunately we found out to replace that material, there was an incredibly long long lead time... 8-18 months! So we ended up with the second generation design that was just awful in comparison. For the record, I fought very, very hard against the second design... so much so, it almost cost me my job. The first couple runs were plagued with issues, though they eventually worked and seemed to be pretty reliable in the end; even if it was ugly.

Cheers,

KP

Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 12-15-2011 at 02:31 PM.