Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Riding Along

This smells of stolen goods. Did you try scanning the bar code on the manual or sending a pic of the code to Colnago so they can scan it?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:28 PM

Could it not also be a frame that did not pass quality control but went out the back door at Cambiago?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
This smells of stolen goods. Did you try scanning the bar code on the manual or sending a pic of the code to Colnago so they can scan it?
I definitely would, but its been blacked out. The seller got back to me claiming it was purchased at an authorized Colnago dealer. I've asked fo receipts or some form of verification.

We'll also see what he has to say regarding the scratched off and painted serial #.

Thanks to all for the opinions and insight this far!
Old 06-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I would just make the decision to either send it back to the seller right off (if he'll take it) or just ride the bike. This is getting more and more complicated, when you should be trying to make things simpler.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhumston View Post
I definitely would, but its been blacked out. The seller got back to me claiming it was purchased at an authorized Colnago dealer. I've asked fo receipts or some form of verification.

We'll also see what he has to say regarding the scratched off and painted serial #.

Thanks to all for the opinions and insight this far!
Is the bar code also covered or just the serial number below it?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhumston View Post
Due to my impatience, I went ahead and carefully removed some of the paint covering the serial number location.

From what I've uncovered, I think it would be futile to continue to remove more of the paint, as it appears that the other numbers been scratched off.

I've sent the photo to Mauro at Colnago, and am awaiting his opinion.

Regardless of the outcome, the seller definitely has some explaining to do!
So wait.....you damaged the frame further and still intend to send it back? I think you now own it outright so just keep it and ride it.

What's that old saying, "if it's too good to be true........."
Old 06-17-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
This smells of stolen goods.
This.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 PM

That ebay seller has been selling since 2007. I think you should make a claim and get your money back. This helps explain why the serial numbers aren't visible in their other C59's for sale. If you are talking to Colnago already...ask them if you should do the right thing or if they're interested in getting involved. Maybe they'll throw you a bone and discount something legit for you. If nothing else, at least mention "stolen goods" in your ebay feedback. 8 years of stolen goods and still at 99.7% positive feedback. Thanks ebay!
Old 06-17-2015, 02:56 PM

Weird

I just realized that I've been looking at this seller's bikes for a while now....he has some pretty unique frames - JET C50, Mapei C40, etc.

You can see the serial # on the C50, but not on the C40, and both have what I'll call "odd" paint anomalies in the pics. The C50 has white overspray on the f/d hanger that makes it look new, but the rest of the bike shows clear signs of use. The paint on the C40 looks too good.....dropouts have paint over them, but he doesn't say "never built up", which I'd think would be a huge claim if you had a truly NOS C40 frame.

Maybe it's all explainable, but this combined with the serial number issue are throwing off huge alarms for me. Too bad, as I'd often thought about buying that Ale JET C50....such a cool frame!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:47 PM

If this situation does not feel right in your gut, I would just intiate opening up a case with ebay to return the frame.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I would just make the decision to either send it back to the seller right off (if he'll take it) or just ride the bike. This is getting more and more complicated, when you should be trying to make things simpler.
I believe now that it is an authentic C59, but the problem lies in the fact that, if it is stolen, I won't be able to conscientiously keep it without at least trying to ascertain the plausibility of tracking down the rightful owner (which will obviously be a feat). Not to mention the fact that there may be an eBay seller knowingly selling hot goods.

Quote:
Is the bar code also covered or just the serial number below it?
Both unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
So wait.....you damaged the frame further and still intend to send it back? I think you now own it outright so just keep it and ride it.

What's that old saying, "if it's too good to be true........."
It wasn't a "too good to be true......" deal actually. It was simply a good deal, not astounding by any stretch. If you would've read the whole thread, you would see that I overlooked the fact that the serial number was painted over. Stupid mistake on my part?? absolutely. I pored over the pictures comparing every aspect to known fakes, and somehow didn't realize the serial number was painted over.

If you mean I "damaged the frame further" by removing the paint and exposing the serial number, then I guess I did. Though I believe the bigger question is why was it painted over in the first place, and why was it partially scratched off beforehand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
That ebay seller has been selling since 2007. I think you should make a claim and get your money back. This helps explain why the serial numbers aren't visible in their other C59's for sale. If you are talking to Colnago already...ask them if you should do the right thing or if they're interested in getting involved. Maybe they'll throw you a bone and discount something legit for you. If nothing else, at least mention "stolen goods" in your ebay feedback. 8 years of stolen goods and still at 99.7% positive feedback. Thanks ebay!
I looked over the sellers feedback and prior listings before making an offer, which mad me feel better about doing so. Had there been any mention of potential stolen goods in any of the feedback remarks that I read, I would have not even considered making an offer.

If nothing else comes out of this, at least others will be aware of the potential of receiving items that may not be on the up and up.

Colnago has been extremely helpful thus far... I'm impressed. Unfortunately they don't keep a list of stolen serial #s (I already asked), but maybe they know other routes to pursue the rightful owner if it comes to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
I just realized that I've been looking at this seller's bikes for a while now....he has some pretty unique frames - JET C50, Mapei C40, etc.

You can see the serial # on the C50, but not on the C40, and both have what I'll call "odd" paint anomalies in the pics. The C50 has white overspray on the f/d hanger that makes it look new, but the rest of the bike shows clear signs of use. The paint on the C40 looks too good.....dropouts have paint over them, but he doesn't say "never built up", which I'd think would be a huge claim if you had a truly NOS C40 frame.

Maybe it's all explainable, but this combined with the serial number issue are throwing off huge alarms for me. Too bad, as I'd often thought about buying that Ale JET C50....such a cool frame!
At least this thread has done some good for someone already! I actually looked at that one too, obviously not my size, but definitely beautiful!

The paint on "my" frameset is actually impeccable... all but the left side dropout where the serial number was covered!

Again, I do not know that this frame is not legit in every way. Hopefully it is and there is a reasonable explanation to everything. I'll be sure and keep everyone updated, and appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by adhumston; 06-17-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Epic=No Smiles

TL;DR

My interpretation: that ebay seller is obviously hawking stolen goods.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:55 PM

That's a good looking bike. I'd be building it by now.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:15 PM

Just clicked on the eBay link. I've been following some of the vendor's listings over the last year or so. Always has amazing stuff for sale (Mapei C40!) but now I find myself looking at every one of the Seller's photos to see if a serial number is visible. I hope this situation resolves in your favour!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 PM
PezTech

Another consideration is that this could have been crashed and repaired.

But I would guess stolen.

There are folks getting high end rigs snatched left right and center in southern cal... and they have to be moved somewhere...