Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2024, 01:52 AM

I'm a big fan of Montbell and have worn it for 40 years ( I use to shop at the original Ebisu Station store back in the 80's.)

You really need to try it on, since the fit is more japanese, so tends to be slightly off. If you are a skinny cyclists, you will have issues.

I think you mostly expect 5C to 20C range. You will be warm when hiking during the day. At night if it gets cold fast, just crawl into the sleeping bag.

I think you are better off with the heavy expedition weight baselayer for the evenings, and a light to midweight for day. You will probably have a shell, a pants and a base layer. if it is really cold, just wear all three. You create your own little micro climate.

The lighter you are, the more you will enjoy yourselves. I like my tea. So I'd bring my little snowpeak microlight giga burner after checking with the company that you can get propane canister before leaving. Nothing as nice as hot tea on the trail. Particularly if it is good tea. If helps keep you hydrated and makes you take a proper rest along the way. It's also easy to make friends when brewing tea on the trail.

I'd buy a compression sack, since if you bring down, you can compress it so small. I'd probably throw in a pair of down slippers (TNF thermoballs if you can find these on sale) Nothing like have free feet at camp. Else find a pair of light slides or croqs.

If you live near an outlet mall, I'd go there to look at TNF. If you are a skinny build, Mammut works well. I don't know if REI stocks it anymore.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 05-19-2024 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 02:15 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
the altitude is brutal for most.
+ a bunch on this ^^^^

KG, how much time will you have to acclimate to the altitude before you do the actual hiking?

Going from Texas to ~10k feet, I'd be just as worried about that as the temp. Also, how windy is it likely to be? My issue with cold is always my hands. I'd be 200% sure that I have the right gloves.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:27 AM

I really don't think altitude is an issue. You are high but top out around 4200m

Since you are walking, you'll adjust. You'll feel a little bit more labored. Maybe you get a slight headache but that is more a combination of dehydration and altitude. That's why you stop and drink your tea or coffee if you prefer. I think the real issues start above 5000m.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 05-19-2024 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:33 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I really don't think altitude is an issue. You are high but top out around 4200m

Since you are walking, you'll adjust. Maybe you get a slight headache but that is more a combination of dehydration and altitude. That's why you stop and drink your tea or coffee if you prefer. I think the real issues start above 5000m.
I went from St Louis (essentially sea level) to Denver, and noticed the effect on a casual bike ride. Not a huge impact, but I noticed the difference. He's going to be much higher than Denver.

I guess it depends on how strenuous the OP's hikes will be.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I went from St Louis (essentially sea level) to Denver, and noticed the effect on a casual bike ride. Not a huge impact, but I noticed the difference. He's going to be much higher than Denver.

I guess it depends on how strenuous the OP's hikes will be.
Same… I live around 1k feet now and notice it in when doing activities once I hit around 8000 feet. Summiting mountains when not used to above that it is brutal once I hit around 13000 feet if going fast. My wife simply shuts down consistently around 12500…headaches and not much interest in carrying on.

Mittens are a lot warmer for cold hands..they don’t need to be heavy expedition mitts. I don’t use gloves for hardly anything anymore and prefer fleece flip mitts with half fingers for cool, windproof non insulated flip mitts that are full finger for colder, and I’ve some ortovox boiled wool mittens that are good for very cold weather and can be covered with a shell for extreme cold…and the rbh mittens are for when I don’t want to worry about ever having cold hands.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I really don't think altitude is an issue. You are high but top out around 4200m .
That’s not true at all. At minimum, most people are weak and tire easily, maybe with a mild headache, for a few days. And some people are more sensitive to the altitude than others. Given the choice, I’d do a few days of trusty stuff out of Cusco first. And I know several people who have had BAD reactions, even at just 12k or so.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
That’s not true at all. At minimum, most people are weak and tire easily, maybe with a mild headache, for a few days. And some people are more sensitive to the altitude than others. Given the choice, I’d do a few days of trusty stuff out of Cusco first. And I know several people who have had BAD reactions, even at just 12k or so.
I agree spending one or two nights at 2700m near the start will make a world of difference.

You can always talk to a doctor and get some diamox for the trip.

Two years ago, my friend and his two boys went. The one boy was sick in Lima, and he suffered a bad headache on the trip. Probably a bit dehydrated, plus being sick. This year, they went to the Atacama. They spent two days at 2200m before going to the Tara Salt Flats at 4400m . No issues.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:56 AM
I need you cool.

For down gear, Feathered Friends has always been well regarded. It has been awhile since I shopped winter gear, but they had the best down in the business back in the '90's.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Avoid alcohol as well, especially if you have issues - headache, nausea, vomiting.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:07 AM

WRT Diamox… it does work, but if you have allergies to certain types of drugs, you might be able to take it. My wife had a bad reaction to Diamox on our trip. At first, we thought it was the altitude, until she started showing classic allergy reactions. Luckily she stopped it in time to continue the trip. I didn’t take it, the first two days in Cusco felt like a mild hangover without any coffee. But I was fine by the time we started the trek. There are several day trips out of Cusco that are worth the time and money.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
For down gear, Feathered Friends has always been well regarded. It has been awhile since I shopped winter gear, but they had the best down in the business back in the '90's.
Love mine….their down is much better than anything else on the market (aside from a few other boutique brands like western mountaineering) and IMO worth the high price since if cared for it lasts a very long time. My hummingbird bag is around 15 years old and is like the day I bought it, a Helios vest is the fluffiest down piece I’ve ever owned (got it years ago for $50 on sale direct from them!) and my Eos I recently got is so much better than the Patagonia hoody it replaced. It is so light it feels like it is floating on me. Perfect cuts for skinny athletic folks, too.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-19-2024 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:17 AM

I cant remember if "winter" is also the wet season.

If it is, get a good breathable rain jacket you're comfortable hiking in all day and a rain cover for your pack.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:50 AM
kg

Thanks, folks. Winter is the dry season, we will have four days in Cusco for activities in an around the city. I don’t know what to expect re: wind conditions.

I travel frequently to Mexico City at 7500ft and know my reaction to altitude at that height. Some people get hit right away and some after about three days. I’m in the former camp so should be “ok” by the time we start the trail. No clue how my son will react.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Thanks, folks. Winter is the dry season, we will have four days in Cusco for activities in an around the city. I don’t know what to expect re: wind conditions.

I travel frequently to Mexico City at 7500ft and know my reaction to altitude at that height. Some people get hit right away and some after about three days. I’m in the former camp so should be “ok” by the time we start the trail. No clue how my son will react.
Repeat after me: We are going to have a blast. It's the journey not the destination. There is no such thing as suck, only another unexpected detour.
Old 05-19-2024, 02:15 PM
kg

Quote:
Repeat after me: We are going to have a blast. It's the journey not the destination. There is no such thing as suck, only another unexpected detour.
Good to remember. I’m sure we will. I just want to diminish stress points by planning so we can focus on having a good time.