Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2024, 12:07 PM

Another reason the latest crop of integrated cockpits really stinks. I’ve never bought a bike that I didn’t have to swap to a shorter stem on day one. Now instead of a $50 propositijn, it’s $300+. What a PITA.
Old 05-18-2024, 12:49 PM

This is why, when I went looking for a Supersix or similar, one criterion was conventional routing.
Old 05-18-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
All the necessary information is in their table and the associated diagram.
Another comment with nothing to back it up. The centerline of the straight portion of the seat tube does not appear to intersect the center of the BB. You must know the setback of the straight portion, at the minimum.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Another reason the latest crop of integrated cockpits really stinks. I’ve never bought a bike that I didn’t have to swap to a shorter stem on day one. Now instead of a $50 propositijn, it’s $300+. What a PITA.
I just went through that with my Cervelo Rouvida. The brake hoses and wiring to the drive motor all go through the stem. The shifters have to be disconnected from the brake hoses and wires disconnected from inside of the frame. The space for two hoses and two wires is very small. I could do it half the time, next time, but the initiation was tough.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post

All that said, what this article seems to be asking for is bikes that are even further skewed to a less fit rider "real people" who are uninterested in any sort of work required to ride bikes that are...dare I say way more fun to ride….
TL/Dr - an accepting attitude and good fit might help older/mid—late home/ career women become serious about cycling. We all start somewhere.

OT I’m overly sensitive about this given how I (and a number of my lady cyclist buddies) felt when I started regularly riding as older adult.

I was bored just riding on the beach bike path, not improving and not knowing how to get better.
I just KNEW I and my bicycle would not be accepted by the local bike club.

Fortunately John (cycle tour company owner) was convinced I could do a tour in Utah (LOL but I loved it) and another John, understanding where I was, what I wanted, and where I wanted to go, built me an awesome bike, and I found a wonderful ladies cycle club with rides for all types of riders and bikes.

When a bike doesn’t feel good or causes pain, older ladies are less enthusiastic about riding. I always tell people to not rely on numbers but get a bike fit before buying a bike if never had one before. As under 5’2” with short legs, few if any production metal bikes would have fit me.

And next time one sees an older woman JRA on an all road geometry, wide tired bike with a sloped top tube (+ anodized flowers) & entry level MTB pedals please consider she might be a bit more than “less fit” and had great fun riding a tour in Colorado with 5 passes, four over 10,000 ft + Pikes Peak and completed a club’s 7 century challenge even if she initially owned a comfort hybrid.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:22 PM
Back At It!

love this, rock on!!

PS- some folks just can't get over that not all folks fit will on a "traditional" bike and many, many folks don't have the time, etc to make themselves able to fit on said bike.. always amazes me how may gatekeepers we have in our sport..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBikeChick View Post
TL/Dr - an accepting attitude and good fit might help older/mid—late home/ career women become serious about cycling. We all start somewhere.

OT I’m overly sensitive about this given how I (and a number of my lady cyclist buddies) felt when I started regularly riding as older adult.

I was bored just riding on the beach bike path, not improving and not knowing how to get better.

Fortunately John (cycle tour company owner) was convinced I could do a tour in Utah (LOL but I loved it) and another John, understanding where I was, what I wanted, and where I wanted to go, built me an awesome bike, and I found a wonderful ladies cycle club with rides for all types of riders and bikes.

When a bike doesn’t feel good or causes pain, older ladies are less enthusiastic about riding. I always tell people to not rely on numbers but get a bike fit before buying a bike if never had one before. As under 5’2” with short legs, few if any production metal bikes would have fit me.

And next time one sees an older woman JRA on an all road geometry, wide tired bike with a sloped top tube (+ anodized flowers) & entry level MTB pedals please consider she might be a bit more than “less fit” and had great fun riding a tour in Colorado with 5 passes, four over 10,000 ft + Pikes Peak and completed a club’s 7 century challenge even if she initially owned a comfort hybrid.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:40 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
love this, rock on!!

PS- some folks just can't get over that not all folks fit will on a "traditional" bike and many, many folks don't have the time, etc to make themselves able to fit on said bike.. always amazes me how may gatekeepers we have in our sport..
It all goes back to what you (or others) consider a “traditional” bicycle. And not to get lost in the weeds, but it’s only a sport if there’s a finish line. I think of cycling as an activity, recreation for lack of a better term.

PS The industry hasn’t done us any favors by serving up so many variations of the ‘70s era ten speed bicycle. That’s the disconnect according to my opinion.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:58 PM

Quote:

PBC FTW. Rock on.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:10 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
It all goes back to what you (or others) consider a “traditional” bicycle. And not to get lost in the weeds, but it’s only a sport if there’s a finish line. I think of cycling as an activity, recreation for lack of a better term.

PS The industry hasn’t done us any favors by serving up so many variations of the ‘70s era ten speed bicycle. That’s the disconnect according to my opinion.
for sure! agree, I used the term "sport" very loosely as I certainly use cycling for recreation and fitness.. as far as "traditional" I was mainly referring to those folks that talk a lot of crap about "faster backwards" bikes.. a term and attitude I think is degrading to the riders that have a bike like that.

But, I will say, you are known around town as the guy that famously doesn't change geo per the buyer's requests (which I could be totally wrong about as I've never ordered a bike from you). I would say you typically build what most would call a "traditional" bike.. if someone came to you for a build and explained how they ride (say 50-100 miles a week), are older, not in the peak fitness they were when they were 25 or 30, and might even have a bit of belly.. would you design a bike for that person that would be comfortable for them to ride 60 miles or something else? Just curious as there are a lot of ideas about what a Richard Sachs bike is and what kind of cyclist they are designed for..

Last edited by fourflys; 05-18-2024 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
PBC FTW. Rock on.
+100

I'm helping my sister get a new bike that works for her at approaching 69 years old, with replacement hips and hand arthritis. She's fairly small with long legs (she came out of the fitting with a saddle height only 27mm shorter than mine) so we're working with a custom bike vendor. I suspect it may not be terribly different from PBC's Caletti when we're done.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Not sure why this is directed to me and only a portion of my comment quoted. I've been helping old ladies get comfy on road bikes for a few decades now. Not sure we need any more options per se but we could sure stand to have more people selling and setting up bikes that take the time and know what they are doing. Glad to here you found a path to enjoyment.

Ride on.

Last edited by charliedid; 05-18-2024 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
love this, rock on!!

Surely you are not calling me a gatekeeper. Far from.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:48 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Surely you are not calling me a gatekeeper. Far from.
I wasn't calling out anyone particular, just that there are some folks on here that historically have been quite the gatekeepers with their thoughts of what a "real" cyclist is or a what a "proper" bike looks like.. I have no idea if you are or aren't, but I hope you're not.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
And not to get lost in the weeds, but it’s only a sport if there’s a finish line. I think of cycling as an activity, recreation for lack of a better term.
That's a very narrow definition of the word "sport". A "sport" can be any recreational activity, no competition is necessary. Surfing, hunting, and sailing are all sports, even though most participants never compete. Sure, only a few people race their bikes, but all cyclists are taking part in a sport - and there's nothing wrong with that.