Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which geometry?
Top 11 40.74%
Bottom 16 59.26%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snguyen268 View Post
Then the reverse question becomes, when do you favor BSA over T47? Seems like never?
Its mostly a builder preference and/or aesthetic choice, either way.

If your builder is comfortable with BSA, its not like its going away. I wish I had done BSA (instead of T47) on my custom road, it looks a little clunky with steel tubes.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
T47... it looks a little clunky with steel tubes.
If those elbows are too pointy for you, you can drop the bike off at my place any time.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
If those elbows are too pointy for you, you can drop the bike off at my place any time.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:46 PM

So now I am on the home stretch with my build, i.e. component selection for my build kit. Here is what I am thinking and wondering if you guys have any input/advice.

Rear Derailleur: SRAM Eagle Transmission X0
Cranks: SRAM Force, 165mm, wide, with Red 46t chainring
Shifters/brakes: 2024 SRAM Red AXS
Rotors: SRAM Paceline X 160 F&R
Cassette: SRAM Eagle Transmission X0 10-52
Chain: Silca Pre-wax SRAM Tranmission XX
Bottom Bracket: SRAM BSA DUB
Handlebars: 3T Superghiaia, 40cm
Tires: Rene Herse Barlow Pass 700x38mm, Standard/Tan
Saddle: Pro Stealth Superlight

1. Which component is worth "splurging" on? For now, I am splurging on the new SRAM Red shifters/brakes (originally was gonna go with Force).

2. SRAM X0 vs. GX rear derailleur/cassette? Been contemplating a lot on this as a balance between performance vs. cost.

3. Is it worth spending on "fancy" bottom bracket? Originally I was gonna get the Cane Creek Hellbender 70 but now "downgrading" to standard SRAM DUB.

4. Anyone with experience with 3T Superghiaia bar? Seen a few posts on this forum and the experience seems good so far.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:13 PM

If it were a cable shift group, I would splurge on the cassette before the derailleur, it will likely shift a little nicer.

I have no idea whether any difference, other than weight, is noticeable on the transmission stuff though.

What are you doing for wheels?
Old 05-21-2024, 08:57 PM

Quote:
If it were a cable shift group, I would splurge on the cassette before the derailleur, it will likely shift a little nicer.

I have no idea whether any difference, other than weight, is noticeable on the transmission stuff though.

What are you doing for wheels?
Good to know about the cassette > derailleur. I can drop down to the SRAM GX rear derailleur (instead of X0) to save ~$130.

My thought process with the transmission is mostly abt eliminating a linking point, which is the derailleur hanger. Does it make much of a difference? Probably not, given I am not expecting riding MTB trails with my bike so the "bomproofness" is just a nice to have, not needed feature for me.

For wheels, I am using my current wheels, which is a pair of FFWD RYOT 44 with a 21mm internal width to start. I really want a nice pair of wheels but that will put me over budget so I will just run this pair down to the ground and get a nicer pair in a few years. For this build, I am definitely going all on splurging mode with the frame, then contact points, then drivetrain parts.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snguyen268 View Post
My thought process with the transmission is mostly abt eliminating a linking point, which is the derailleur hanger. Does it make much of a difference?
If nothing else, the UDH is a good idea.

So the new road AXS shifters talk to the transmission RD? Thats neat.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
If nothing else, the UDH is a good idea.

So the new road AXS shifters talk to the transmission RD? Thats neat.
Yeah the new Red shifters do talk to the transmission RD, which is another reason why I decided to splurge on them (besides the improved ergonomics and braking performance).
Old 05-22-2024, 02:08 PM

To save money - I would get the original Sram Eagle AXS XO or GX rear derailleur, and the XO Eagle cassette. I think the Transmission version is going to offer little benefit on this type of bike.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
To save money - I would get the original Sram Eagle AXS XO or GX rear derailleur, and the XO Eagle cassette. I think the Transmission version is going to offer little benefit on this type of bike.
I was actually pondering on that as well. But apparently original Eagle and Eagle Transmission have similar prices (at least when the components are supplied by my builder) so I decided to just go with transmission. I do agree with you that I won't benefit greatly from the original design purpose of the Transmission drivetrain system.