Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2024, 10:14 PM

I have an orange-pink fade Serotta that's too small for me which I've forced to make work within aesthetic limits but still toe-strikes when I turn slowly that I love and have sunk too much money into even though I have "objectively better" bikes. Were it not the the color I absolutely wouldn't have sourced the parts I have for it.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:42 AM

The appearance

I admire beautiful bikes. But owning one? It becomes a source of anxiety to get attached to the appearance. I refuse to own a steel bike for that reason. My sweat is salty and eats through the paint so it bubbles. Paint chips. The thing develops rust spots. Any bike - ride it enough and the appearance suffers - my opinion. My cranks always gets shoe rub. Keeping all this "looking good" is - for me - a huge hassle. That is not why I bike.

So I really do not care a lot about the appearance.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:11 AM
Ride to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Have you ever had a bike build that was perfectly dialed except for one aspect - the color of the frame - and found that demotivated you from riding it?

No, but the color is also a selling point for me. I haven't found colors I can't live with but I do prefer some colors on some bikes. i.e. Bianchi's with no Bianchi green are not that appealing to me.
If its a good deal on a bike my size I won't pass I up because of the color, one exception is a steel landshark with a simple paint scheme.
I don't really look down when I'm riding so it usually doesn't bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Or conversely, have you ever had a bike where the color of the frame caused you to favor it more?

Yes, on crowded Rides, hundreds of people or more, I'll pick a bike that will stand apart from the crowd so its easier to find after a sag stop.

Ride Safe,
BamBam
Old 04-04-2024, 10:27 AM

My bikes are rolling art for me, they have to be right in every detail, otherwise I just can't get jazzed about the outlay of money.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
My bikes are rolling art for me, they have to be right in every detail, otherwise I just can't get jazzed about the outlay of money.
Agree 💯
Old 04-04-2024, 11:15 AM

Color does matter to me. Two bikes come to mind.

Looking down at the fluorescent panel on downtube of the black Pegoretti brings a smile every time.

And something about looking down at the white Max fork on the Merckx MXL also just makes me feel good.

Working on paint scheme for a new frame - it will be either metallic blue, metallic grey, or pearl white, with pearl white graphics on the first two and metallic blue graphics on the white option. TBD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3187.jpg (126.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3775.jpg (136.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-04-2024, 11:38 AM

No, I generally could care less what the color of the frame is. If it performs as expected then all is good.

If given a choice I would go annoyingly high viz but I’m just as happy on matte black.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:53 AM

Look good, feel good, ride good

If you haven't tried plasti-dip it's a non-invasive, easy solution that can provide decent and reversible changes.

I have used it on car rims and a few bike components but believe it would work well on a bike.

https://plastidip.com/products/
Old 04-04-2024, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Color does matter to me. Two bikes come to mind.

Looking down at the fluorescent panel on downtube of the black Pegoretti brings a smile every time.

And something about looking down at the white Max fork on the Merckx MXL also just makes me feel good.

Working on paint scheme for a new frame - it will be either metallic blue, metallic grey, or pearl white, with pearl white graphics on the first two and metallic blue graphics on the white option. TBD.
Nice! What is the stem on that Merckx? I'm always looking for a better way to sort out my threaded cockpit.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:09 PM
Back At It!

color matters for sure for me.. and, for me, the more pop the better.. I'm so tired of boring black, grey, etc bikes..

OP- have you considered a wrap? would also provide a but of frame protection since it's carbon..