Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 01:28 AM

Bend is the best but we're full.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
We own a home in the norhtern burbs of Philly which seem to strike a nice balance for me. No you can't ride year round but most of it, and there is great history there, lots of backroads, covered bridges. If you want an excursion to Amish country it gets even better, and there are hills to be climbed over near the river and the jersey border. That's where we're headed anyhow.
We've been looking on and off in Delaware and PA border environs as well. My lovely wife still needs occasional access to NYC, and we want to be closer to her mom who is still in VA.

As far as moving--we have moved something like a dozen times since we have been married--three countries, both coasts and some places in between, and I agree, the hardest part is that you no longer have the easy contact with family and friends. For a while you live under the illusion that you are keeping up with them, but it's like the hole that you left behind naturally fills in with other aspects of their lives and other friends.

That said--to be dropped into a strange new place and have to figure everything out--that's very cool.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
It is a gas, and I love my hometown, but when I think of ideal places to live and ride, I think more mountains and less people.

Is it June yet?

I very much prefer living out here in New Mexico and returning to my hometown in the NYC area for visits, to living there and coming here for visits. So I fully agree. I have lived on some beautiful coastline (New England, South Florida, NorCal), and I wouldn't trade my mountains for anything. Course, the two together wouldn't be bad at all, but for now the American West/SW is more accessible than...the Canary Islands?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I've lived a lot of places in this country and there hasn't been a better all-round cycling area than this part of VA. Want hills? Go west. Want flats? Stay S and E of NoVA.

Lots of jobs, etc

I'd maybe (maybe!) say somewhere in NorCal-ish like Santa Rosa or the environs would be OK too, but jobs are probably harder to come by.

My $.02

M
Old 03-29-2017, 09:53 AM
50 bpm

Charlottesville and Asheville are on our radar when we make the inevitable move back east.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I've lived a lot of places in this country and there hasn't been a better all-round cycling area than this part of VA. Want hills? Go west. Want flats? Stay S and E of NoVA.

Lots of jobs, etc
Yep. I've brought or rented a bike with me when I go somewhere for more than a few days, and, the area is really good for cycling when you stop to think about it. I think Denver is likely the only place thats really better on all fronts, in variety/culture/MUT/racing.

I'm re-writing my resume this week, and we'll see where it goes.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:23 AM

Italia.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
I'm in a similar situation being active military, and living in fairfax county, due to retire soon....
I hear that... we've got one or two moves left before I hit my 30 , so we're looking at where we want to put down our things... we're actually looking hard at Louisville, KY. I'm from just outside of Indy and swore I'd never return there after I joined the Coast Guard. What I've found is Louisville is nothing like the rest of KY it would appear as far as "in the country"... the only downside will be the winters... I may have to buy another fat or "plus" bike...
Old 03-29-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I hear that... we've got one or two moves left before I hit my 30 , so we're looking at where we want to put down our things... we're actually looking hard at Louisville, KY. I'm from just outside of Indy and swore I'd never return there after I joined the Coast Guard. What I've found is Louisville is nothing like the rest of KY it would appear as far as "in the country"... the only downside will be the winters... I may have to buy another fat or "plus" bike...
Leslie and I visited my daughter a few years ago when she was living in Louisville. We all thought it was nice and housing was very reasonable.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:56 PM

Some great advice here!

My background: software startup entrepreneur. I have a preference for bike friendly cities, technology and progressive politics. Culture is important, thoughtful people are important. People who read books.

I live in Seattle, don't move here, it's starting to suck.

Portland is ok, Bend is ok. It is striking the difference in attitude (Red state rural vs Blue state Urban) just 20 miles from downtown Portland/Eugene. I'd actually recommend Ashland over either of those. Alternatively, consider Walla Walla, Wa or Boise. Both of those have cold winters though. Walla Walla is wine country, Boise is becoming cool.

Boulder is a mecca for cyclists. Peter/OP can tell you all about it. CU is there too.

I went to college in Utah. If you are into outdoor stuff, Utah is cheap and good. SLC is a good place to find work, a ton of startups are kicking off. Plus there's the NSA thing right down the road. St. George is nice. Never biked there.

I have a soft spot for stoney central coast California. A lot of my buddies are moving out of SF and the valley out to the coast. I would look at east or west of the bay. Davis? Maybe San Luis Obispo?

Finally I was impressed as hell with Tucson for cyclists. I hear a lot of pro teams train there. A lot of good riding and urban trails, like 100 miles of it right in the middle of town. Major research university too, Davis AFB is there, Intuit is there, some startups. Cheap real estate. Hot in the summer. I would not live in Phoenix. Flagstaff is fun, and a surprisingly cool climate. Also has a college.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:02 PM
formerly Landshark_98

The latest from Seattle headlines: 9 sunny days since 10/01/15. Yeah, 1.5 days/month.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:20 PM

Albuquerque New Mexico.

Cheap living.

300 days of sunshine.

Mountains. Quiet roads. The Rio Grande.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:30 PM

I suggest you visit Huntsville Alabama and maybe Gainesville Florida. Both are smaller cities but I think you'll find just enough culture there. Great riding around both.

I have lived near Nashville for a long, long time and it's pretty happening here right now. Lots of growth and people coming here. We have some gorgeous riding and the very mild winters let you ride through the year. It's starting to feel crowded to me, but coming from where you are it might feel pleasantly small to you.

Out west I think the Denver area has some real high estate prices now. But it'll have everything else you want. Salt Lake City might be just as nice and maybe cheaper.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:33 PM

I really enjoy visiting coastal southern California, but I don't think I'd want to necessarily live there long term.

The places that seem to have remained on my shortlist for years are small to medium cities in the mountains that get a lot of sun. Flagstaff, Santa Fe, and Delta Junction are particular examples I keep coming back to. Bozeman, Boise, Walla Walla, or Spokane for more snow.

OP's requirement for a major international airport and DoD work would make me think of Denver and maybe SLC, as lots of others have now mentioned.

Last edited by caleb; 03-29-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:02 PM
It An't Me Babe

These threads/topics are always a great fascination for me. Because it clues me in to thinking and attitudes that I can't and won't see from inside my bubble. I've taken to using the term "living in my bubble" not as a form of coastal elitism and self-flattery but rather as a warning & reminder that I've gotta stay open to others thinking by being less insular. I will however accede to modest elitism by believing I have the capacity and flexibility to comprehend a diversity of conflicting ideas - which means I wanna hear different views if they can be coherently expressed.

I'd like to ask, whether in specific or general terms, what does it mean when things "start to suck"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojingoh View Post
I live in Seattle, don't move here, it's starting to suck.
I lived in the NYC suburbs for over 20 years. Through all that time, "starting to suck" might have meant the roadways got more congested and crowded and traffic "started to suck" from what it was like then to what it is now. But still nor horrible. Taxes gradually got more expensive. Lotsa things over time got more expensive. Anything else? I couldn't tell you - IMO the changes just happened and become a part of your life.

I don't buy the gripe that housing costs more because that is a natural advancement of areas that people want to live in, the alternative is hollowed out communities and declining real estate values and nobody wants that.

So if you think wherever you live is "starting to suck", what does that mean to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
The latest from Seattle headlines: 9 sunny days since 10/01/15. Yeah, 1.5 days/month.
Whew! Dunno how you Pac-NW'ers do it. Folks take digs at Manhattan that it is crowded and dirty and yet somewhere else, it's had 9 sunny days since 10/01/15 and that's OK? I like where I'm at just fine, thanks very much.