Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
What is a minimum acceptable Internet speed? Not sure what we have here. Is enough to stream Netflix but maybe not much beyond that.
1mbps should be fine, unless other family members are eating up the bandwidth while you are trying to ride.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
What is a minimum acceptable Internet speed? Not sure what we have here. Is enough to stream Netflix but maybe not much beyond that.
If you can Netflix you're likely fine for zwift
Old 12-18-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
1mbps should be fine, unless other family members are eating up the bandwidth while you are trying to ride.
I disagree. It's not the bandwidth, it's the latency. That's what causes the drops. You would want to have ping times under 30ms, preferably close to 20ms. That usually means clean broadband at 30mbps or higher.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:41 PM
aka RAEKWON

not sure how much latency really matters in zwift. Sure you don't want 200ms latency but 50 is totally acceptable. We are not talking about a FPS game here. my opinion of course.

that said, I would prob do minimum 50mps internet. I have 200 right now and ping is usually down to 15/20.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:11 PM

I get 20-30 Mb/s uploads and <10Mb/s download, with pings in 30-40ms range and it runs just fine on my iPhone.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:19 PM

Plenty of Australians use Zwift, they're like 200ms.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:50 AM

Has anyone tried an off brand ANT stick of any kind, and had good results? Something like this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...sAAOSwknJXz7-g

If my quick skim of the previous 27 pages missed this inquiry, my apologies for the redundant question.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
Has anyone tried an off brand ANT stick of any kind, and had good results? Something like this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...sAAOSwknJXz7-g

If my quick skim of the previous 27 pages missed this inquiry, my apologies for the redundant question.
That's the exact one I am using. Works perfectly and I'm not even using an extension.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
That's the exact one I am using. Works perfectly and I'm not even using an extension.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 AM
Administrator

since i started this thread i have barely used zwift! been spending some time at the gym and then the stomach virus from hell. i think right after the new year hits i'm off to zwifting.

i'm actually looking forward to pedaling some miles without having to bundle up for outdoors!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
since i started this thread i have barely used zwift! been spending some time at the gym and then the stomach virus from hell. i think right after the new year hits i'm off to zwifting.

i'm actually looking forward to pedaling some miles without having to bundle up for outdoors!
I made an earnest effort to try it for the first time yesterday, including subscribing, and realized I'm ill-equipped. I'm looking forward to generating some motivation for it too!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Dadwatts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post

It looks like its the same generic ANT+ stick that I purchased on Amazon. Mine has been great for months now.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Dadwatts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
not sure how much latency really matters in zwift. Sure you don't want 200ms latency but 50 is totally acceptable. We are not talking about a FPS game here. my opinion of course.

that said, I would prob do minimum 50mps internet. I have 200 right now and ping is usually down to 15/20.
I would even dare say 100ms+ is sufficient for Zwift. 50Mbps is wayyy overkill for Zwift. They say you should be able to get by with 2Mbps.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

I've been enjoying it so far. I did a group ride last week which was cool. I've been sick for like 3 weeks now, not enough to stop me from riding, but enough to make me tired and feel like I can't use it as much as I would want.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskey View Post
I would even dare say 100ms+ is sufficient for Zwift. 50Mbps is wayyy overkill for Zwift. They say you should be able to get by with 2Mbps.
It depends what you are doing on it and when. If you are racing in the back of the field and they surge, that kind of latency can put you off the back in no time. For just putting around, I agree.

The reason I mention this at all is that I had a lot of latency issues like this when I connected my laptop via wireless. N600, so no slouch. I quickly got tired of it and installed gigabit wireline. That fixed it. Now if I get dropped of the back it's on me.