Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
There's plenty of detail on specifically why they rejected VW's plan.
To wit:

[...] the proposed plans fail [...] [to] sufficiently describe the remedial procedure for affected vehicles

That's all I saw regarding the nature of the proposed fix, and it's not the same as rejecting the fix itself. They've given an "incomplete", not an "F."

Again, I think CARB is well within its rights to do this, and it would behoove VW to cater to their every whim with an excess of courtesy and speed.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:38 PM

Dude, read the bullet points in item B, 2.0 Liter Recall Rejection. It's a hell of a lot more than you are snipping.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Dude, read the bullet points in item B, 2.0 Liter Recall Rejection. It's a hell of a lot more than you are snipping.
Wow, I just read the bullet points and it sounds like CARB is saying VW hasn't really addressed how they'll find the TDI owners, how they'll fix the cars, where the parts will come from, how they'll conduct mechanic training and least of all what the impact will be on performance and mileage.

This is going to drag on forever.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM

Just used my $1000 audi cards for 55000 mile service on my A3, which was $1274.

Yep, no lube.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 PM

At least you got to use your VW money. My TDI is only 11 months old. It's unlikely that I'll have much reason to spend $500 at the VW dealer before the card expires.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:17 PM

Buy four tires. You'll need them at some point.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
At least you got to use your VW money. My TDI is only 11 months old. It's unlikely that I'll have much reason to spend $500 at the VW dealer before the card expires.
When my TDI was 11 months old, it had 38k miles on it, and was almost ready for a $600 service...
Old 01-13-2016, 09:25 PM

Well, mine only has 12,000 so ain't no service on the horizon.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
Well, mine only has 12,000 so ain't no service on the horizon.
Why would you buy a diesel if you're only driving 13kmiles a year?
Old 01-13-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
Why would you buy a diesel if you're only driving 13kmiles a year?
I have a TDI less than 8K miles a year...do you have to log a lot of miles in order to drive a diesel? What am I missing here?
Old 01-13-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6 View Post
I have a TDI less than 8K miles a year...do you have to log a lot of miles in order to drive a diesel? What am I missing here?
for me the math wouldn't work otherwise. I guess everyone has their own motivation.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:14 PM

I guess if you drive a ton you'd realize $/fuel saving much sooner, but if your car reaches 150K miles won't you have saved the same amount (not considering fuel price variations) whether it's over the course of 4 years or 10 years? Honest question I've never been great at math
Old 01-13-2016, 10:53 PM

We bought our TDIs for the relative performance vs mileage. My 350Z was a 28-35 mpg car on highway trips (going to bike races, etc; avg speeds were 65-75 mph). I wanted a car that realistically got similar or better mileage while still having solid performance. The TDI is a car that realistically gets 40-45 mpg and still had, what, like, over 80% of the torque of the Z. I just needed 4 seats, as Junior was on his way. Felt like an upgrade (at the time).

I drive the Golf very little - I was at about 38k miles after 4 years, so about 9500 miles a year. I had no idea how much I'd drive annually, but that wasn't the point of getting the car.

Having said that, the Golf's DPF failed, probably due to the very short commute (1 mile each way). Without reaching operating temperature regularly the DPF won't do its burn off thing and it eventually gets clogged. Driving a bit more would probably have helped the DPF. So there is a reason to drive the car regularly on the highway for a bit of time.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6 View Post
I guess if you drive a ton you'd realize $/fuel saving much sooner, but if your car reaches 150K miles won't you have saved the same amount (not considering fuel price variations) whether it's over the course of 4 years or 10 years? Honest question I've never been great at math
Fair enough. I tend to look at the value of the car for the life of the loan, not the life of the car. I think if I was driving under 10k miles a year, I'd get a low mileage lease and let the dealership take the risk on the depreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
We bought our TDIs for the relative performance vs mileage. My 350Z was a 28-35 mpg car on highway trips (going to bike races, etc; avg speeds were 65-75 mph). I wanted a car that realistically got similar or better mileage while still having solid performance. The TDI is a car that realistically gets 40-45 mpg and still had, what, like, over 80% of the torque of the Z. I just needed 4 seats, as Junior was on his way. Felt like an upgrade (at the time).

I drive the Golf very little - I was at about 38k miles after 4 years, so about 9500 miles a year. I had no idea how much I'd drive annually, but that wasn't the point of getting the car.

Having said that, the Golf's DPF failed, probably due to the very short commute (1 mile each way). Without reaching operating temperature regularly the DPF won't do its burn off thing and it eventually gets clogged. Driving a bit more would probably have helped the DPF. So there is a reason to drive the car regularly on the highway for a bit of time.
The TDIs are fun to drive. I do notice that the car runs a LOT better if you drive it a lot than if you take short trips, and my experience is VWs develop annoying issues with age regardless of mileage. But more power to you, I just really hadn't considered that someone who didn't drive a ton of miles would want a diesel. EVERYONE I know with a TDI has a > 30 mile each way commute.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:47 AM

A lot of cars dont have a single problem if you ride them a lot.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads