Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2015, 08:01 PM

Sad to see it go out like this.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:20 PM

Wow that's a cool space.

Too bad for the shop.

The internet has been one massively disrupting vehicle in the world.

Who could have imagined it being what it has become, and the industries surrounding it (or entirely supported by it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Yes. 5 Depot Place Bethel.
(was) A great shop at an old RR Depot:

?robably will now be a Starbucks
Old 11-23-2015, 08:31 PM

This weekend I went to my LBS for a 10S chain. They offered a Tiagra for $40. It took 3-4 minutes for the guy to find it but I bought it with the thought that I was paying the guys salary. I could have driven a couple miles further, paid $5 more at REI, and gotten Ultegra. Or paid $17 for Tiagra on the internet, plus shipping. The LBS is convenient, but if time isn't critical I tend to look elsewhere.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by jischr View Post
This weekend I went to my LBS for a 10S chain. They offered a Tiagra for $40. It took 3-4 minutes for the guy to find it but I bought it with the thought that I was paying the guys salary. I could have driven a couple miles further, paid $5 more at REI, and gotten Ultegra. Or paid $17 for Tiagra on the internet, plus shipping. The LBS is convenient, but if time isn't critical I tend to look elsewhere.
Nothing about your example makes me think the lbs is convenient.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Nothing about your example makes me think the lbs is convenient.
I don't think 3-4 minutes is too much. Price wasn't cheap, but other than that...

If you need something for tomorrow's ride, then the LBS is super-convenient.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:56 PM

It's very sad to hear this.

2016 will be interesting, seeing where these racers end up. There were some very, very good riders on that club.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Administrator

tough situation.

in all honesty, i have no idea how even the best bike shops stay in business. by the time they pay a mechanic and some front help, pay rent and utilities, how to make a living out of what's left?

that's a whole lot of tubes and tune-ups you gotta sell.

i dont know what the answer is, but i definitely see how it can be a problem.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Maybe this explains why my LBS has a terrible track record in getting me small parts. It's as if they WANT be to go mail order. But it may also just be disorganization.
I think it's more about shipping costs. Most shops don't want to make an order until they hit the threshold for free shipping. Some distributors it's $450 and others it's $600. In some cases it's easier to order from Amazon or Ribble and sell at no markup to keep a customer. But that means the shop has to have value beyond selling components and accessories.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 PM

It is unfortunate that shops are getting beat up by the net. When I was a wrench many years ago it was mail order. There are shops have figured out how to survive the low price competition of the net.

I won't walk into a shop any shop and not buy at least something. Unlike the people who window shop then order on line I'm not going to waste the shops time and resources. I know a guy who does this often and it bugs the s**t out of me because it's just not right on several levels.

One question that I have though is percentage wise if it's a part(s) how much more do people thing is reasonable to pay in order to pick it up at an lbs? Provided they have the part in stock.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:21 PM

to me that's very simple. local retail i'd expect to be similar to online plus shipping at minimum, plus the added variable of the time value of convenience. that varies by item. while on a ride, with a sliced tire and 40 miles from home? yeah, 75 bucks for a conti clincher tire at retail is a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
It is unfortunate that shops are getting beat up by the net. When I was a wrench many years ago it was mail order. There are shops have figured out how to survive the low price competition of the net.

I won't walk into a shop any shop and not buy at least something. Unlike the people who window shop then order on line I'm not going to waste the shops time and resources. I know a guy who does this often and it bugs the s**t out of me because it's just not right on several levels.

One question that I have though is percentage wise if it's a part(s) how much more do people thing is reasonable to pay in order to pick it up at an lbs? Provided they have the part in stock.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:39 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Small, low volume shops can't really catch a break. Wholesale prices from the usual US distributors are higher than any of us can buy the stuff for from an online seller. Fortunately there are a few online sellers based in the US that are now somewhat competitive with the online U.K. sellers.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:06 AM

It's unexplanatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
tough situation.

in all honesty, i have no idea how even the best bike shops stay in business. by the time they pay a mechanic and some front help, pay rent and utilities, how to make a living out of what's left?

that's a whole lot of tubes and tune-ups you gotta sell.

i dont know what the answer is, but i definitely see how it can be a problem.
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/busi...op-in-pasadena
Old 11-24-2015, 02:47 AM

Internet claims another LBS

It is a sad reality that the Internet has affected many small business such as book shops, sports stores and bike shops.
My LBS has set themselves apart from the normal bike shop by providing bespoke builds, wheel building and an excellent workshop.
They carry less stock than most and many bikes are built to order with group sets etc ordered to go with a frame set.
They don't carry much in the way of clothing, shoes etc, but can have items in store within a few days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOKE View Post
Small, low volume shops can't really catch a break. Wholesale prices from the usual US distributors are higher than any of us can buy the stuff for from an online seller. Fortunately there are a few online sellers based in the US that are now somewhat competitive with the online U.K. sellers.
This......
Old 11-24-2015, 05:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Too bad they weren't able to figure out a way to make money doing what they were good at. It's bad news if your primary money-maker is something you can't do very well compared to others out there.
I know little to nothing about this bike shop but I agree. The internet isn't the boogie man, but something to recognize and and live with. BUT, there are 2 'big bike stores' for sale in Boulder right now. I think that 'model' has got to change or they too will go out.

Seems to me, service centered bike shops(there are 3-4 in Boulder) and high Zoot boutiques, like Above Category..these seem to be doing well.

But for a LBS to have a certain model, see that model become less and less successful..I get that he is tired of fighting the fight, and chooses to just quit. Retail is hard.

Gotta say tho, supporting a bike team/club, with the 'expense' of that. It's a form of marketing but when you actively create a bunch of customers who get discounts(meaning if the margin is less than about 37 points(take cost and divide by .63)), you lose money. I found that clubs and teams were not prudent, when it came to marketing. Poor return on investment.

BUT in Boulder, anyway, bike shops don't go out of business because of lack of business, they mostly commit suicide. Do something dumb. Like open a second location, then a third. Then close one, then sell...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-24-2015 at 06:39 AM.