Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2015, 02:49 PM

Going viral on FB: video of a guy pushing cyclist off bike from a driving car

Buzz is packing a stiff right hand jab! If he'd wound one up the talker would have been lights out.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:06 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Somehow doing this, blowing the air horn, or passing cyclists with a 1" margin (or worse) gives them a thrill and empowers them.
It reinforces their position in a majority group by striking out against the immorality of an outsider.

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opin...logists-theory
Old 07-28-2015, 03:24 PM

Going viral on FB: video of a guy pushing cyclist off bike from a driving car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
It reinforces their position in a majority group by striking out against the immorality of an outsider.

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opin...logists-theory

I agree with this. And add my additional theory that as society has become dominated by sedentary fatties, we are viewed as an even greater outlier to society's 'norm'.

I've been riding a long time and I hear crap from fat drivers I never heard 20 yrs ago. And my ears are always attuned to the coworker or acquaintance and their often not very veiled comments on being fit & cycling.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
I agree with this. And add my additional theory that as society has become dominated by sedentary fatties, we are viewed as an even greater outlier to society's 'norm'.

I've been riding a long time and I hear crap from fat drivers I never heard 20 yrs ago. And my ears are always attuned to the coworker or acquaintance and their often not very veiled comments on being fit & cycling.
what is it about choosing to use my body to do things that pisses people off?

from cycling instead of driving, to hand tools instead of power tools, to simply choosing a parking spot further away and walking.

today i saw a man in a huge truck almost pull out in front of me to turn right onto the road. I mouthed "don't even think about it". no way he heard me speak, but he saw my lips move and gave me a dirty look and put his arm in the air like "what?". he did wait to pull out, but then pulled out like an idiot, spinning the tires a bit and making a huge sound with his huge truck. he held his fist out the window at me as if to say "haha, I'm faster than you".

I gave him the thumbs up, because its better than a middle finger.

people are jerks, maybe even some of you, and maybe me sometimes too.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
And add my additional theory that as society has become dominated by sedentary fatties, we are viewed as an even greater outlier to society's 'norm'.
I second your theory. It sometimes feels like we're living in the world portrayed in the movie Wall-E.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro12tc View Post
I second your theory. It sometimes feels like we're living in the world portrayed in the movie Wall-E.
But cyclists are an easy group because they are typically smaller, thinner, less threatening looking, and also less ready to kick some ass. Runners don't get it because that person is standing there ready. Weight lifters and other fitness oriented folks don't get it because that fattie would get a hand full. Cyclists, well maybe 6' tall, 165 pounds...that doesn't scare many people. As a 6'2", 225# cyclist, I am well outside the normal range and I rarely got hassled on the road. In fact, I get more flack from other cyclists then I did from motorists.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow View Post
But cyclists are an easy group because they are typically smaller, thinner, less threatening looking, and also less ready to kick some ass. Runners don't get it because that person is standing there ready. Weight lifters and other fitness oriented folks don't get it because that fattie would get a hand full. Cyclists, well maybe 6' tall, 165 pounds...that doesn't scare many people. As a 6'2", 225# cyclist, I am well outside the normal range and I rarely got hassled on the road. In fact, I get more flack from other cyclists then I did from motorists.

Some motorist do make the mistake of thinking that thin cyclists are not a threat. Sometimes they are very wrong.

Now, why do you get more flack from cyclists.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:37 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Some motorist do make the mistake of thinking that thin cyclists are not a threat. Sometimes they are very wrong.

Now, why do you get more flack from cyclists.
This might be a very brutally honest answer, but cyclists are disproportionally an unkind, unfriendly, rude bunch of people. Whether it is blowing through a stoplight I am sitting at, passing me with no notification, yelling at me for slowing down when the police have the road closed in front of me...I could go on. Cyclists have earned much of their reputation. I have played many sports, been the new guy quite a few times, and the culture of cycling is just not a friendly one. It is least welcoming and friendly of any activity I have ever participated in.

They seem fine off the bike and in life, but something about being on the bike turns many into jerks.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:52 AM

Thank you Ray for taking the time to get this video removed. You de man!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:03 AM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
They seem fine off the bike and in life, but something about being on the bike turns many into jerks.
Not that I want to defend rude behavior, but,...

At least in the terms of bikes in groups and close riding the consequences for mistakes can be quite high. Even a slight momentary lapse can put someone on the ground quickly. I think this reality might cause a brutal lack of tolerance to mistakes. When it comes to drivers making mistakes the same idea applies.

Again, does not excuse being a jerk for no good reason.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
This might be a very brutally honest answer, but cyclists are disproportionally an unkind, unfriendly, rude bunch of people. Whether it is blowing through a stoplight I am sitting at, passing me with no notification, yelling at me for slowing down when the police have the road closed in front of me...I could go on. Cyclists have earned much of their reputation. I have played many sports, been the new guy quite a few times, and the culture of cycling is just not a friendly one. It is least welcoming and friendly of any activity I have ever participated in.

As an aside:

Look, I'll be honest, this is the one thing about cycling I've never really understood. I've been riding for a long time and I raced for quite a few years, and overall rugby is right. Don't get me wrong, I've met many wonderful people over the years through cycling, but I've also been involved in many sports and cycling was the most unfriendly/snobbish to break into. It's weird but true IMO. My first year of racing I had a cheap Fuji Roubaix and the unending snide comments and looks I would get were crazy. I took particular glee in hammering people and beating them on my cheap bike. And the ones who would say particularly unfriendly stuff during races (and it had nothing to do with bike handling) were always very apologetic or played dumb if I wanted to "discuss" things with them afterward. What is about being on a bike that makes you think you can say or do stuff that you won't have to be answerable to when you get off the saddle?

I don't race these days and I mostly solo ride so I don't know if it's still as unfriendly as it was then, but the looks or percentage of non-reaction I get when acknowledging other riders on the road makes me think it's not too much different.

As Ruby said, there just seems to be something about cycling that turns some people into jerks. And I say that as a long time cyclist.

William
Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 AM

Cyclists can't hold a candle to triathletes in terms of jerky, self-absorbed, snobby attitudes! I live at ground zero in Madison, WI where they run the IM Wisconsin every year. You wouldn't believe some of the behavior and weird stuff that community does until you witness it for yourself.

Last edited by earlfoss; 07-29-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:

In my experience, if you are getting flack from cyclists you are doing something wrong. You should be used to getting passed with zero notification-the reasons for passing silently are justified.

I too have played many team sports?Rugby included. Agreed cyclists and cycling groups can be unkind. Cycling is a very different sport and a sketchy cyclist in a group can impact lives negatively. It is rare for someone to take a new (or sketchy) cyclist aside and teach them all the finer points of cycling and cycling in a group.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:24 AM

Unfortunately I have to agree with Rugby's and William's posts. This topic would make an interesting thread if we could keep it civil.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
In my experience, if you are getting flack from cyclists you are doing something wrong. You should be used to getting passed with zero notification-the reasons for passing silently are justified.

I too have played many team sports?Rugby included. Agreed cyclists and cycling groups can be unkind. Cycling is a very different sport and a sketchy cyclist in a group can impact lives negatively. It is rare for someone to take a new (or sketchy) cyclist aside and teach them all the finer points of cycling and cycling in a group.
Not saying you are wrong at all, I know that aspect. In my experience it had nothing to do with bike handling. I had better handling skills than most coming in and had the benefit of top riders on our team who shared and worked with us. No, this was just azzholery.

William