Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2011, 05:06 PM

8 to 9 Speed Rear Cassette Change

I've been riding a Campy 8-speed rear cassette, and just purchased a used wheel set that happened to come with a Campy 9-speed cassette (which was not the object of the purchase). Is there any problem with running the 9-speed cassette, and what changes would be required?
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Dutch Oven

The spline patterns are different on the 8 speed and the 9 speed hubs.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I've been riding a Campy 8-speed rear cassette, and just purchased a used wheel set that happened to come with a Campy 9-speed cassette (which was not the object of the purchase). Is there any problem with running the 9-speed cassette, and what changes would be required?
Thanks in advance!
If I understand your question, you want to use the new wheel and 9spd cassette on your bike equipped with 8spd shifting components.

If the cassette has all loose sprockets, the cassette can be re-spaced to 8spd spacing. Campagnolo sells a spacer set to do just that. You remove the largest sprocket, and just replace the 9spd spacers with the conversion spacers, leaving 8 sprockets spaced for 8spd shifting. But if the cassette has some sprockets rivetted to carriers, it can not be respaced.

If instead you are asking if you can install the 9spd cassette on your 8spd wheels, not that is not possible with your current configuration, the spline patterns are different as previously mentioned. After 9spd was introduced, Campagnolo made 9spd freehub bodies that could be used to convert the hub to 9spd. However, these have not produced in many years (9spd came out in 1997), so it will probably be difficult to find one.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:55 PM

Thanks guys for the informative responses. I'll scope out the cassette to see if it has loose sprockets and let you know. Worst case I guess is replacing the hub with the correct spline for an 8-speed cassette.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:41 PM

It is possible on at least some 9 speed hubs to swap an 8 speed freehub body onto them. I have a Mirage 9 hub that's been changed to 8 speed.

I probably have a 9 speed loose cog cassette if the one you have turns out to have a carrier for the large cogs.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Ottrott DKS

I think you could replace the shifter indexing parts with 9 speed and then you'd be at 9...
Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
Thanks in advance!
Use the 9s wheel, get a loose Veloce 9s cogset, use the black spacers in the 8s cogset tyou have,,,adjust rear der-go ride(done this lots)

OR, as has been mentioned, convert RH ERGO to 9s(I have the disc), use 9s cogset and chain with new wheel, go ride.