Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2011, 03:20 PM

On Topic: Thor to BMC

So how do you feel about this?

Thor was quoted as saying “My biggest goal is still to win Paris-Roubaix. The BMC Racing Team has good riders to support me or for me to help someone else on the team win." So does the focus turn to getting him across the line at P-R next year, or is it a game of chicken so he can distract Cancellara while Big [vein] George takes a flyer off the front for the win (finally)?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Post Mod-ern

I think BMC management . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch
So how do you feel about this?

Thor was quoted as saying “My biggest goal is still to win Paris-Roubaix. The BMC Racing Team has good riders to support me or for me to help someone else on the team win." So does the focus turn to getting him across the line at P-R next year, or is it a game of chicken so he can distract Cancellara while Big [vein] George takes a flyer off the front for the win (finally)?
. . . realizes that it ain't gonna happen for Big George and they want somebody who can legitimately win a couple of classics.

The question now to me is what is going through Hincapie's mind after hearing that?

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 08-09-2011, 04:01 PM
cmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave
. . . realizes that it ain't gonna happen for Big George and they want somebody who can legitimately win a couple of classics.

The question now to me is what is going through Hincapie's mind after hearing that?

BBD

Bingo......! what is going through George's mind should how he's going to help Thor win P-R.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:05 PM

George's best days have long since passed. I'm a huge George fan, but if he couldn't crack the nuts back in the early part of the decade, it's just not meant to be. If he had left Postal for a team that would have supported him more, I think he could have nabbed a P-R or a Ronde.

No shame in that. Still the best Classics rider the U.S. has ever produced.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I'll bet that this whole thing started earlier in the spring when JV was waffling on ride/not ride/for whom to ride.

That'd tick me off too.

After all, they hired him to win the spring classics and then they pulled the rug out from under him

M
Old 08-09-2011, 04:16 PM

"Might not have a PR cobble trophy or a world champ title, but at least I have a hot wife."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave

BBD
Old 08-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Mr Dobalina

Gilbert is desperately trying to get his contract annuled so he can go to BMC. Thor had a magical TdF, but I would take Gilbert over Thor seven days a week and twice on sunday.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM

interesting... wondering why so certain in who you'd take and for what reason? The Belgian champ, a box full of UCI points and a bucket of peroxide VS the current World Champion.

It's a close call, I admit.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel
interesting... wondering why so certain in who you'd take and for what reason? The Belgian champ, a box full of UCI points and a bucket of peroxide VS the current World Champion.

It's a close call, I admit.

Gilbert is young and coming into his prime. Thor is more on the backside of it. I laugh when people call him a sprinter, because he isn't anymore (a pure sprinter)....People don't call Hincapie a sprinter, but that's what he used to be. I am a Thor fan, not a hater. I just think Gilbert is a special talent that is just coming into his own.

That being said, If Thor stays healthy and focused, there are some big wins still left in his legs.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 PM

hmmm, good points, I hadn't thought about the age thing, probably as I remember when young Thor joined Credit Agricole, who had O'Grady as their top sprinter at the time.

Gilbert is good, very very good. How good? Too good? Sh**, I dunno, i'm getting into murky waters here.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Law Bomb

Thor's sprint has for sure lost some of its edge, but I wouldn't say his best days are necessarily behind him. In spite of his size, he's been riding like a rolleur, competent in the hills and with a still-fearsome sprint. The way he defended the yellow jersey was incredible.

BL
Old 08-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
Thor's sprint has for sure lost some of its edge, but I wouldn't say his best days are necessarily behind him. In spite of his size, he's been riding like a rolleur, competent in the hills and with a still-fearsome sprint. The way he defended the yellow jersey was incredible.

BL
Bob...agreed, but look at his body compared to his CA days. He is a still a big dude, but his build has changed. Rolleur is a perfect description. In a lot of ways he made the TdF for me. Man among men.