Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2005, 03:26 PM

tick, tick, tick... valve problem

I had a very annoying ticking on my bike this morning. When I stopped and spun each wheel off the bike, no ticking- back on the bike- tick, tick, tick. I finally wedged a small piece of Balance bar wrapper between the long valve and deep carbon rim on the front wheel-and blessed silence. Odd that I have never experienced this before being that I have ridden these wheels for over 3 years. Any advice on silencing techniques other than a candy bar wrapper? The faster I went the louder the ticking, and it was also made louder by placing my weight foward (hoods= loud; upper bars= less loud).
Old 06-25-2005, 03:32 PM

What do you have? Boras? Lightweights? ADAs? If so I will help out and trade you my Velocity Aeroheads and try to make a diagnosis.

Seriously, is it a clincher or sew-up? If it is a clincher I would simply remove the tire and tube and re-install them and try it out. The valve stem is probably simply not seated nicely at the hole.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:03 PM

Lightweights

Yes, I have a pair of the legendary Lightweights. I am sure I mounted the tubular a bit off at the valve stem. This morning was the first ride on a retubed Veloflex from Tire Alert. [Plug. They do good work. www.tirealert.com]. I had them use a long-valed tube. I tend to glue my tires on very well which means reseating the valve will be a process. I may try to find a small rubber O ring to slip over the valve first.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:43 PM

Really? You do have the Lightweights???? Tell all!!!

DISCLAIMER:

I am not comparing one to another or anything like that........ I am not trying to insult anyone or insinuate that one is better than another. This world is big enough for more than one producer of ultra-exotic wheels.

But what are they like?? There has been one or two discussions here on the merits of the various ultra high level wheels. Can you really feel a difference? There is one person here who has them and claims that he really can feel a difference - stiffer and lighter.

Ride Report!
Old 06-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Mufflerman

I had that problem with my rolf vector pro's. I used a little clear silicone to silence it.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the tip.

I will start a new thread with pics of my bike with the Lightweights & review.