Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Chomp The Wonder Beaver

Quill Stems (Multiple Images)

Pictures of two of what I consider the best looking and best finished quill stems available today: This first image is the Nitto Pearl, shown on my new/old Serotta Hors Cat road frame. These are available from 6cm to 14cm through Euro-Asia (if your dealer works with them) or American Cyclery or Jintesha Studios. The next shot is a Nitto Technomic, a longer quill if you need the height, and a somewhat more 'traditional' angle (73deg, the Pearl being a bit more 'upright.') Both feature the attention to fit and finish Nitto is justifiably famous for.

Also note that the Chris King headset allows you to raise the stem height far more than the Campy Record headset shown on the Nagaswa in the next photo. Dave N.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluecat-stem-1-r.jpg (67.1 KB, 372 views)

Last edited by dnovo; 02-07-2004 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Chomp The Wonder Beaver

Technomic Stem - Nagasawa Road

Close up of Nitto Technomic stem with Campy Record headset on 2003 Nagasawa road frame. The Technomic is more readily-available than the Pearl. Also can be had in 6cm to 14cm sizes. Dave N.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nagasawa-blueroad-stem2-r.jpg (67.4 KB, 371 views)
Old 02-07-2004, 12:57 PM

Those are nice....

...what diameter clamps do they have?
Old 02-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Chomp The Wonder Beaver

They come in either 25.4 or 26, so they will work with any 'normal' (non-oversize or 31.8) bar. Lickton's (www.lickbike.com) has both sizes of the Technomic and in virtually all sizes in stock. Dave N.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:59 PM

additional sources...

Nice photos! Besides Licktons, other "online" shops that carry threaded Nitto stems, especially the technomic/deluxe are:

Bicycle Classics (has Pearl too):
http://www.bicycleclassics.com/barsandstems.html

Peter White (including some very nice looking Dura Ace/Ultegra ones):
http://www.bicycleclassics.com/barsandstems.html

and of course Sheldon Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/stems.html

Also, most LBS who do business with QBP can get Nitto stems too:
http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=1877
Old 02-08-2004, 01:36 AM
commuter racer

Dear Chomp the Holy beaver of wonder

How does that Technomic stem make the bike handle? Just curious as it looks curious!

shino
Old 02-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Chomp The Wonder Beaver

No real difference to write home about. The reason we ended up with the Technomic rather than a Pearl was the fact that this was an 'off the shelf' frameset (54cm) which is normally quite decent for me, but for the fact that Nagasawa is VERY traditional and his headtubes have very little height to start with and zero extension. Then, before I showed up for the fit, the builder (not my usual guy) cut the steerer and fit a Campy headset. If he had left more height in the steerer and gone with a Chris King as shown on the Hors Cat, we could have gone with a Pearl and it would have shown less quill length.

It really is a matter of appearance rather than handling. The longer quill height of the Technomic doesn't add or detract to the handling or feel. I have no real choice on bar height, if I want to avoid ripping open my disc. I would have wanted the Pearl to have less quill showing, but such is life. Dave N.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:43 AM
CarbonTi

Nitto makes a beautiful stem, carries on the tradition of the elegant quill stem started by the Cinelli 1A. Metal as art.

Attached is a Cinelli 1A affixed to modern steel and adapted to modern bars.

As always dnovo, nice bikes.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:00 AM
CarbonTi

I tried to attach a .jpg file sized to about 112kb, didn't go through. I read the FAQ before sending, doesn't seem too involved but alas, no joy.

So what's the secret high-sign?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cinelli1a-peg.jpg (111.4 KB, 211 views)
Old 02-08-2004, 10:55 AM
bubba

Re: Quill Stems (Multiple Images)

Quote:
Originally posted by dnovo

Also note that the Chris King headset allows you to raise the stem height far more than the Campy Record headset shown on the Nagaswa in the next photo. Dave N.
Now, isn't that a function of the length of threads and steerer length rather than HS brand? You actually have a greater extenson and more stem showing in the second photo, and isn't it beyond the minimum mark?

Last edited by bubba; 02-08-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Chomp The Wonder Beaver

No, not beyond the miniumum mark -- there is actually a bit more left to go before you hit that (the Technomic has a LOT of height in the quill.) The marks you see are some light surface scratches from moving it. And yes, a function of the steerer, but the King will allow you to put the spacers in to give you a bit more support and add a tad to the 'rigidity' of the quill. Dave N.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Chomp The Wonder Beaver

Hey Carbon Ti, what's the story on your Luigino? From the little bit showing in the photo, looks like a darker blue than I've seen before. Stem is way cool too.

Info? Full photos? Lots of Pegoretti fans here that would LOVE to see and read about it. Dave N.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:14 PM
bubba

Quote:
Originally posted by dnovo
And yes, a function of the steerer, but the King will allow you to put the spacers in to give you a bit more support and add a tad to the 'rigidity' of the quill. Dave N.
Spacers work with any threaded HS I ever saw.It's just a function of steerer length and enough threads.It's even dooable if there are not enough threads for the lower adjusting nut,but that is another chapter.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
dnovo wrote
[...] Nagasawa is VERY traditional and his headtubes have very little height to start with and zero extension. Then, before I showed up for the fit, the builder (not my usual guy) cut the steerer and fit a Campy headset. If he had left more height in the steerer and gone with a Chris King as shown on the Hors Cat, we could have gone with a Pearl and it would have shown less quill length. [...]
Dave,

I would be rather peeved with the person who built up your Nagasawa (beautiful bike, BTW), if I were you.

A Chris King headset would make no difference regarding how high you could get the 'bars. As Bubba mentioned, it all comes down to steerer length (as per the much maligned threadless system). If the steerer were left long enough with the Campag headset, you could also use plenty of spacers with it.

And in fact, there is one Chris King headset that you cannot use spacers with and which will actually restrict how high you can get the 'bars, their GripNut model:

http://www.chrisking.com/headsets/hds_gnut.html

On this model, the locknut actually screws into an expanding collet which wedges against the adjustable cup. See:

http://www.chrisking.com/headsets/gn.../desk2-800.jpg

The idea is that it prevents the headset from working loose but, as I mentioned, it does also prevent one from using any spacers between the adjustable cup and locknut.

-- John
Old 02-08-2004, 06:56 PM

I would like to share my Nitto Lugged stem which was recently painted by Brian Baylis to match my bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0056.jpg (71.1 KB, 139 views)