Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 AM

NoVA cyclist

Anyone live near woodbridge,Va if so hows the ridding there
Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quite frankly, it sucks. The exception being MAYBE Lake Ridge on the back roads.

I'm out in Nokesville. Where the roads are... If you want someone to show you around, PM me.

If you're close enough to the PW Parkway, you can ride here. Ditto with 234.

HTH

M
Old 04-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Traffic and roads hideous around Woodbridge. But if you're willing to put your bike in your car, you can get to some scenic areas pretty fast. Nokesville area has some good riding, we have a couple of rides that start at a park out there.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 PM

I agree, awefull around that area. Worked in Fort Belvoir and darn the traffic was bad.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Thank you Ill be working at Fort Myers, and we kinda narrowed the house search to manassas and lake ridge in woodbridge, well be there this weekend house hunting so well see. thanks for the info
Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

You can get there either way: 66 or 95. IF you're interested, you can drive into Vienna and then take the W&OD trail into work. It'll take you a hair over an hour to get from the caboose to Ft Myer (IIRC)

Working at Ft Myer, you needta make sure you get across the bridge to Hanes Point (sp?) for the Tues/Thurs lunch ride. After all, its hammer time! I'm assuming that's still going on. I haven't been since 97 or so.

If you go to map my ride, you'll see where the rides are. For example there's 347 different listings out of Warrenton.

HTH

M
Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 PM

Manassas or Woodbridge to Fort Meyer is an awful long drive during rush hour, just so you know.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 PM

THanks Im sure it will be but thankfully I will only be fighting it in the evening unless theres allot of people on the hwy at 5am.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 PM

I cant even imagine the driving from 95 south to arlington in the morning or in the afternoon, the issue is that you will go with the traffic all the time. Darn!

If i was you i would try to find something around:

- Falls church, seven corners or columbia pike area, skyline will do it also

- Clarendon area

5AM is not that of a problem with the traffic, that means u have to come back around 2 pm, that's not a problem either but at 3 pm is already packed, people wake up really early here because of the traffic.

We need to met all the suckers we live in DC metro area, maybe in the WOD trail at 28, maybe go to the mountains or something. I know maximus has not been in the mountains here, it could be a good experience for him hehe
Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 PM

If you can make it closer to the city (Alexandria/Arlington) on the weekends, there is great cycling. Pretty much anything south blowz.

A lot of communities have local trails. I know 234 has a loooong, wide paved sidewalk that you can put some miles on. The problem with the NoVA areas (an most sprawling suburbs) is the lack of driver awareness when it comes to cyclist. Most have no experience driving around them since the roads aren't bike friendly. You just aren't expected.

Not all is lost though. Spring is here and I am sure there is plenty of riding for the brave.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiowner
THanks Im sure it will be but thankfully I will only be fighting it in the evening unless theres allot of people on the hwy at 5am.
The earlier you go, the worse it is.

G'luck

M

edited to add: Not that I'm up that early mind you! I don't work till 1100. In fact, I need to go go for a ride!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Oh yeah, there are a LOT of people on 66 and 95 at 5 am. You'll have to commute at 4 am to "beat" the traffic. See if you can find anything affordable in Arlington-Clarendon, Falls Church, Alexandria, or Vienna (you can bike the W&OD bike trail from Vienna or Falls Church into Arlington and DC).
Old 04-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Wish I could but the requirements of a 4bed 2 bath 2 car garage single family home in a good school district under 375, I have to push out it is what it is
Old 04-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Well good luck lets know your experiences meanwhile as an advance, with rain everybody rides like crap in here for some idiotic reason. Asian old woman drives bad, if not terrible.

If you want to meet for a ride let me know, we have a trip waiting with maximus to a shop one of these days, probably you will love to masturbate with him in while looking stuff, he wont feel uncomfortable that way

Old 04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiowner
Wish I could but the requirements of a 4bed 2 bath 2 car garage single family home in a good school district under 375, I have to push out it is what it is
Braemar and points just south of Man@sshole are better. Look for houses off Linton Hall Rd. GREAT cycling and no Man@sshole to deal with till you need to.

M