Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2011, 06:36 PM

OT: Found lost iPhone, how to find owner?

So, the other day I rode past what looked like an iPhone on the side of the road...I was too lazy to stop and check, so I didn't. I rode past it again today, and sure enough- it's an iPhone. I brought it home, charged it...and it's locked.

Any ideas on how I can find the owner? (other than posting in the newspaper)

Connecting it to iTunes doesn't get anywhere. If I put it into DFU mode and restore it, the contact info will be lost...right? I can't use the emergency dial to get the caller ID, either...
Old 03-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Engine problems

I had a similar situation a while back-- found an itouch, called Apple (800-my apple), gave them the S/N, they told me that they could see who it was registered to but were not in the business of acting as a lost-and-found. Thought this was a little cheesy, I'd imagine that the lawyers have told them not to intervene due liability or whatever. Long story short, if you can't call the "home" predial (you said it was locked), you probably have a new used iphone to enjoy...

The only other possible idea is to put it on a local message board (our local radio station does announcements, and a TV station runs an on line classified board-- sort of a local CL-- don't know if your locale does anything along these lines) or CL and give it to the person who can unlock it...

Last edited by dogdriver; 03-04-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Everything is connected

Perhaps drop it off at an Apple or an ATT store?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:54 PM

Keep it charged and turned onk it may well ring as the owner tries to find it.

The owner may also have set it up on the Apple "where's my phone" service which basically uss the GPS to tell the owner where it is.

Keep it turned on, and charged, I think the owner will find you.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Darn... is locked.

I ran over something similar like 2 years ago, when I called the guy he started jumping over one hand of happiness.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:21 PM

Maybe remove the sim and try putting it in another phone? I'm sure it wouldn't work but worth a shot.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 PM

I'm guessing he already switched his number to a new phone, as the phone doesn't have service...didn't think of trying the SIM card in another phone, good idea...though all my phones are Verizon and don't use SIM cards.

I figured out that iTunes does show the name of the iPhone, "john doe's iphone", and I found a local guy with the same name on Facebook...waiting to see if he responds to my message.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:29 AM

If he/she realizes it, the owner of the phone could be texting
themself and the messages would be showing up and be readable
even if the phone is locked. Keep it charged, see what happens.

-g
Old 03-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Got in touch with the owner on Facebook... fortunately for him, he has an uncommon surname.

...I was kind of hoping that I would be unable to find the owner, and would thus inherit an iPhone to use as an iPod...oh well. I'll mention that I'm a cyclist, and that's how I spotted his phone...maybe he'll tell his friends to be nice to cyclists when they pass us on the road...
Old 03-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Take it into an AT&T store... I'm pretty sure they can pull identifying info off it without even a SIM Card, especially if iTunes can see the phones name. If they can pull the IMEI # off it they can probably return it to the owner.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:00 PM

at this point, more trouble than its worth, and no good deed goes unpunished.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim
Got in touch with the owner on Facebook... fortunately for him, he has an uncommon surname.

...I was kind of hoping that I would be unable to find the owner, and would thus inherit an iPhone to use as an iPod...oh well. I'll mention that I'm a cyclist, and that's how I spotted his phone...maybe he'll tell his friends to be nice to cyclists when they pass us on the road...
Well done!
Always nice to help people out.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:37 PM

And the assumption is, no one who owns an iPhone is a cyclist??????
Old 03-05-2011, 07:14 PM
cnighbor2

Lost owner of phone

I found one near a gas station and gave it too attendent. Upon thinking about it not a great idea. How would he return it unless person knew he dropped it there,
So I decided simple to locate. Just call phone numbers stored on phone. When person answers say you found this phone this phone and do they regonize phone number. Than when one does have than call person with that number and tell than you have their phone Best also to give your phone number before lost phone battery dies.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 PM

find my ipwn

so i just signed up for the find my iphone thing recently. i'd say it's great in case you do drop your phone/ipad. the location is nest and all but you can also send a message to your locked device like 'call me up at xxx-123-4567'.

-s