Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 PM

Proud of Friend who Bought a Mountain Bike

I have a long time friend who rides mountain bikes with some other friends of ours. The others all have 29ers and he wanted to get one. He rides but is not into forums or learning about bikes - so I sent him to a dealer in AZ.

He went in with a budget of $1000 but with upgrades walked out the door at $1800. He got home and started thinking about a carbon Santa Cruz someone was showing off at the shop. So now he is up to $3800 - after great discounts.

That is how you are supposed to buy a bike.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2010, 06:48 AM

NOT according to my wife
Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 AM

I am not sure how he is pulling this off as his wife watches a dollar as well as anyone I know.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2010, 08:23 AM

Did he get a 29'er? And, if so, was it because all his friends have one or because that's the wheel size that made the most sense for him and the trails he rides?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:48 AM

Well done...

That is bike buying at its finest... As for how how he gets away with it, who cares? The man is doing something right and that is all I need to know!!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 AM

I also think it is a fine example of bike selling..
Old 12-31-2010, 09:08 AM

Buying a bike or anything else for that matter is not rocket science. You find a good wife.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volant
Did he get a 29'er? And, if so, was it because all his friends have one or because that's the wheel size that made the most sense for him and the trails he rides?
He got the 29er because it works well for his riding. Wasn't keeping up on his bike and borrowed a 29er and kept up. I know - it is not about the bike. But mentally he is faster now.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm
He got the 29er because it works well for his riding. Wasn't keeping up on his bike and borrowed a 29er and kept up. I know - it is not about the bike. But mentally he is faster now.

Jeff
Cool. I did the 29'er thing and found I was slower - but the trails I'm on are tight and twisty with a lot of climbing. I did find when I got to other trails that are more open and flatter that the 29'er was faster. If I was back in Illinois, there'd be no reason not to go 29.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm
I have a long time friend who rides mountain bikes with some other friends of ours. The others all have 29ers and he wanted to get one. He rides but is not into forums or learning about bikes - so I sent him to a dealer in AZ.

He went in with a budget of $1000 but with upgrades walked out the door at $1800. He got home and started thinking about a carbon Santa Cruz someone was showing off at the shop. So now he is up to $3800 - after great discounts.

That is how you are supposed to buy a bike.

Jeff
I'm in a similar boat. I did a few mtb rides on my cross bike this year and it was a lot of fun. But the rocky terrain had me dismounting about 1/3 of the time and caused my mtb-mounted friends to keep waiting.

I haven't had a mtb in years, so I haven't kept up with the technology. I went to my fav LBS and talked about getting a lowest model of the Trek Fuel lineup - the Fuel EX 5 full suspension XC bike (MSRP $1600). Of course, the owner (and friend) has me convinced that the EX 8 (MSRP $2400) is the real sweetspot in the line up with Fox front and DCRV Fox/Trek rear. I don't plan to ride mtb alot (mostly winter) and would keep the bike for quite a while. But it's a lot of money for a part-time ride. Luckily, the blizzard has left the trail inoperable and I can think about this a bit more.